All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
five spice chicken with hoisin
      #236548 - 01/07/06 04:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I sort of made this tonight, but I didn't grill it; I roasted and broiled it. It was so plump and juicy it could totally be made without leaving the skin on. The brining makes it wonderful however you cook it. Make extra sauce to separate and have with it.

Five-Spice Chicken Breasts with Hoisin Glaze

Chicken breasts with the skin on are not usually boneless, so you may need to special order them from your butcher or debone them at home. They don't dry out as easily as the skinless, boneless variety.

3 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons five-spice powder
4 (6-ounce) boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup ice
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
Cooking spray

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Stir in 2 tablespoons five-spice powder. Pour salt mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag. Rinse chicken with cold water. Add chicken and ice to bag; seal. Refrigerate 2 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from bag; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
Combine hoisin sauce and next 5 ingredients (hoisin sauce through 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder).

Prepare the grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium and leaving one side with no heat.

Place chicken, skin side down, on grill rack coated with cooking spray over medium heat side. Close lid; grill chicken 8 minutes on each side, brushing occasionally with hoisin sauce mixture. Place chicken, skin side up, on unheated side; brush with hoisin sauce mixture. Grill an additional 5 minutes or until done. Discard skin; serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half)

CALORIES 241(18% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 0.9g,mono 1.5g,poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 39.8g; CHOLESTEROL 99mg; CALCIUM 35mg; SODIUM 909mg; FIBER 0.3g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.4g
Cooking Light, JUNE 2004

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1100

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review