All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Candy Cane Cake
      #231077 - 12/12/05 04:58 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Could you tell me if this recipe is safe? It sounds great for the holidays.

1 pkg Betty Crocker Super Moist white cake mix
1 c. water
1/4 c veg oil
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp red food coloring
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
crushed candy canes

White Icing:

1 c powdered sugar
1 tbsp rice milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease & flour 12 cup bunt cake pan. Beat cake mix, water, oil and egg whites in lrg bowl w/ electric mixer on low speed, til moistened. Beat on med. speed 2 minutes. Pour about 2 cups batter into pan. Pour about 1/4 c batter into small bowl: stir in food color and peppermint extract. Carefully pour pink batter over white batter in pan. Carefully pour remaining white batter over pink batter Bake 45-50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Turn pan upside down onto wire rack. Cool cake completely, about 1 hour. Spread with icing. Sprinkle top with crushed candy canes.

White Icing: mix 3 ingredients together. Stir in additional milk, 1 tsp at a time until smooth and spreadable. Serves 10.

I got this cake recipe from the Journal Gazette Newspaper.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Edited by marjo (12/12/05 05:00 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Candy Cane Cake new
      #231080 - 12/12/05 05:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My guess is that the cake mix and 1/4c oil will still be in the fat perameters. Especially considering it is dessert. So it looks safe. I love candy cane/peppermint baked stuff. It sounds a lot safer than the candy cane store cookies I can't resist lately!
Cake mixes now a days seem to all have a teeny bit of milk in them. I might check the super moist versus regular white cake mix. The super moist is probably less ok than regular.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#231087 - 12/12/05 05:45 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I know that Duncan Hines is a safe cake mix. You could substitute their white cake mix for it. I would think that amount of oil wouldn't be too bad. Just make sure you don't devour it on an empty stomach!

Or you could use applesauce in place of the oil! -nt- new
      #231097 - 12/12/05 06:31 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#231100 - 12/12/05 06:45 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I am almost positive DH white cake mix has milk in it. Last time I checked Wal-Mart generic brand (Great Value) white cake mix was safe.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2724

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review