All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Mushroom ideas, anyone?
      #224564 - 11/12/05 08:51 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've got 15 lbs. of assorted shrooms in my fridge. Does anyone have any favourite recipes or ideas?

Lately, I make mushroom crumbles, food processing the mushrooms like ground meat.

I have cremini, buttons, oysters, and bellas.

Kate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: babakagirl01 new
      #224575 - 11/12/05 09:33 PM
Wind

Maybe baby bok choy or baby shanghai bok choy. I'm great with broccoli and asparagus, swiss chard, spinach, and zucchini.

I'll keep my eyes open for some nice baby bok choy when I hit the store tomorrow. Great idea. With a little seasoned rice vineagar...maybe a grated carrot for complimentary sweetness? Some fish sauce? Lime juice? I think I catch your drift. Thanks a bunch.

I really miss seaweeds, too and they add a nice saltiness when they're toasted/crisped sort of like bacon.

WHICH, leads me to another thought having scanned the exchange index. Perhaps I'll pick up some bread crumbs to season/add...I'll take a peak and see if there is any safe rice/soy parmesan or mozzarella to enhance them. I doubt it though as I'm really picky and those things always have a backlash with me, but you never know.

I like the NOURISHING simplicity of your ideas--that's generally how I eat.

Great idea,once again and I hope I see some baby bok choy that looks fresh!

Kate.

Re: Mushroom ideas, anyone? new
      #224577 - 11/12/05 09:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was going to suggest grinding them up. I don't know how you are with spices, but in a coarse grind, they're great for chili.

I LOVE mushrooms, so I always have them handy... most recently, I've tended to:

- add them in mass quantities to any sauce I put on pasta

- add them heavily to stir-fries

- use them as the base of a vegetarian "pot pie" - mushrooms and a bunch of other diced cooked veggies, in a soy "white sauce" seasoned with bouillon and spices, topped with biscuits... YUM.

- one of my favorite things ever is to marinate full-size bellas in Italian dressing, grill (or broil), and eat like a burger on a bun... or slice up and roll in tortillas like fajitas.

- I love button mushrooms raw, with some fat-free dressing to dip them in!

#224589 - 11/13/05 06:31 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hello..

I too am obsessed with mushrooms..

I like them sauted alone with a little thyme and white wine.

they also taste good mixed in with a little spinach.

mushroom tacos are great too. Cut them up like little chunks of meat, add a little taco seasoning, nice chunky tomato salsa, pico de gall, or safe gaucamole. YUMMY. Roll them up in a nice little tortilla (although I can't remember if you eat things with flour in them.. so this may not work for you).

--------------------

#224633 - 11/13/05 01:17 PM
Wind

Great ideas, spicey. I love the better than ground beef texture/flavour they get when I take a whole minute and play Blade with my food processor.

I love that they are enhanced by the simplicity of herbs such as thyme and also by reducing in wine. Served with spinach or swiss chard and WOW. Thanks.

I hate guacamole and don't do tomatoes beyond a squirt of ketchup, occaisonally. HOWEVER...I bought a few eggplants and mixed with roasted eggplant pulp sort of like babaganush, I KNOW they'll rock.

I don't bother buying bread or making it. Weird, I suppose, but I never end up eating it. I did buy a few mini red potatoes and I'm sure they'd work beautifully with 'shrooms and maybe an asparagus sauce/asparagus-mole. Ditto for roasted fennel bulb. Likewise with broccoli (I make a wicked pureed broccoli type of sauce).

I love your 'shroom "meat" idea, though.

Thanks.

Kate.

#224662 - 11/13/05 04:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

1. you can dry them
2. you can actually saute and freeze them in small amounts
I have done both of these things this fall

I made oyster mushroom cakes as if crab cakes this fall with fresh wild oyster mushrooms. I used panko, egg white, mayo and seasonings like Old Bay and they were delicious.
Mushroom soup or pasta would be good for the others. The soup could be frozen. Keep your mushrooms in paper bags or towels and inspect often.
I love mushrooms!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#224680 - 11/13/05 06:17 PM
Wind

How much panko, approximately? What might an appropriate substitute be? Perhaps rice or potatoe or bread crumbs?

(Sorry, I've never made pancakes!)

Thanks for the ideas. I'm a saucey type, I confess and basically end up eating the sauce versus anything else!

They are just so simply good as they are! But, mixing assorted veg. purees rocks. I had a flash thought about mixing them/binding them with some navy bean/herb puree.
Perhaps black bean puree? (Note: that's a tad ambitious for me. The last thing I need is more fiber!)

They are wonderful "glazed."

Instead of tortillas, I make a kind of egg white "pancake." Frittatas are wonderful with mushrooms!

I had a warped thought about mushroom meringue pie. If anyone can help me with that riddle, pitch in, s.v.p. Vegetarian shepard's pie is another inspired thought.

Truly, though...spinach & mushrooms...broccoli & mushrooms...asparagus & mushrooms...swiss chard & mushrooms...green beans & mushrooms...with maybe a mini potatoe for dessert??? Cooking for one is pretty funny stuff.

Mushrooms are SO FILLING! Heck, mushroom stuffing for dinner anyone??? WHY NOT! It's pretty safe.

Thanks.

#224683 - 11/13/05 06:23 PM
Wind

Thanks for the fatfree Italian dressing tip. With a little balsalmic for bite, those are great ideas.

I'm not a chilli fan, I confess. Frittatas are another idea.

That's an awesome thought re: mostly manic mushrooms stir-fries.

Thanks for the white sauce idea. That is yummy. Ditto for "gravy!" Glazed 'shrooms are like candy!!! Maybe a kind of ratatouille thing if I feel inspired? Drunken mushrooms?

How would I achieve a sort of "battered" effect, safely? I'm thinking a little egg white, bread crumbs, and selected seasonings. Any thoughts?

Thanks. Great ideas to store in my head for when I get hungry enough to fake cooking.

Kate.

Re: Hey Kate!!!
      #224699 - 11/13/05 08:26 PM
Wind

Awesome ideas! I must "hit" an Asian food store for supplies.
I am intrigued by those "Shiritaki" noodles you mentioned and will attempt to find them.

You know, I think I REALLY DO LIVE OFF MUSHROOMS!!! I suppose, in effect, just about everything I eat is either a fruit or a veggie bowl. I'm living proof of the fibers of being. I figure, we're all ashes or dust or dirt in the end, so I may as well eat dirt...or things really close to it. I won't continue with this thought as it may be "controversial." Stuff from the dirt tastes really good to me. I like the deep earth energy/vibrations.

The baby bok choy I saw actually frightened me a tad. Maybe next week.

The neat thing about mushrooms is that a lot of veggie haters will eat veggies if they are accompanied by LOTS OF MUSHROOMS! Mysterious mushrooms. I love their texture, as well.

They are SO HUGELY FILLING, though. Wow.

Thanks, Babakagirl01!

Kate.

oyster mushroom cakes
      #224929 - 11/14/05 04:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Oyster Mushroom Cakes
couple scallions
probably 2c or a little more roughly chopped oyster mushrooms
1T old bay seasoning
1t Tabasco or to taste
1 egg white or vegan equivalent
some panko bread crumbs (about a cup)

Put scallions in food processor and chop fine, add mushrooms and pulse pretty fine, add egg white and seasonings, stir in as much breadcrumbs as needed to be able to handle the mixture. Form into 4 -3inch patties and dust on more panko if desired. Heat 1 T oil and fry until golden brown on each side. Serve with a sauce if desired. I didn't have a sauce for it but they were nice and moist. I think a sort of spiced mayo sauce would be good or aioli if you could make it low in fat. Or cocktail sauce maybe?

A light bread crumb of white bread should be ok if you don't have panko.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review