All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ginger Sweet Potato Muffins
      #2227 - 03/08/03 08:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I found this in More Muffins by Barbara Albright & Leslie Weiner. I tried it this afternoon...yummy!

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup mashed baked sweet potato, cooled
1/2 c FF milk, at room temperature (I used soy)
2 large eggs (at room temperature), lightly beaten (I used 1/3 c All Whites, or 4 egg whites)
3 T canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 to 1/3 c. finely chopped crystallized ginger

1. Preheat oven 375 F. Lightly coat twelve 2 5/8" x 1 1/8" (about 3 oz.) muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ground ginger. In another bowl, stir together sweet potato, milk, eggs, oil, & vanilla until blended. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add milk mixture & stir just to combine. Stir in crystallized ginger.

3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 min., or until a toothpick inserted in center of one muffin comes out clean.

4. Remove muffin pan to wire rack. Cool for 5 min before removing muffins from cups; finish cooling on rack. Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Nutrition info per muffin:

168 calories
28 grams carbohydrate
3 grams protein
4 grams fat
35 milligrams cholesterol
173 milligrams sodium

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ginger Sweet Potato Muffins new
      #2290 - 03/09/03 05:17 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Mags - I priced crystallized ginger today at the grocery store and they wanted $9.49. OH, MY GOSH!! Jesse James used to do it with a gun--the grocery stores don't need one, do they? Needless to say, I didn't buy it. I'm gonna see if I can find it cheaper. Do you know of any other place that doesn't want your first born for a jar?

Sharon

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2294 - 03/09/03 05:44 PM
*Melissa*

Sharon - I know what you mean - The best I've been able to find it is at www.americanspice.com . I buy the 16 oz. bulk bag. I just checked and it said it was on sale for $7.89. (Reg. $8.89) Then, you also have to figure in S&H, but I usually end up buying other stuff from there at the same time, so it kind of works out for me. What size was the one you saw for $9.49?

Mags

Re: Ginger Sweet Potato Muffins - ginger crystallized new
      #2330 - 03/10/03 07:21 AM
SharonMello

Mags - it was the teeny-weeny size (spice jar size). What a ripoff!!

I just looked in THe Baker's Catalog (www.bakerscatalogue.com) and they sell 1 lb of it in slices for $10.95, medium diced 1 lb for $8.95 and mini diced 1 lb for $7.75. Now I know where to get it much cheaper. You do too!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Ginger Sweet Potato Muffins - ginger crystallized new
      #2344 - 03/10/03 10:37 AM
*Melissa*

Sharon - I figured it was that dinky size. You did the same thing I did the first time I saw it in the store. I looked at it & kept on walking!

I just took a quick look at The Baker's Catalog (www.bakerscatalogue.com) & bookmarked for future reference. Thanks!

I did think about it, and I got the idea that it could probably be made. This is what I found crystallized ginger1 & crystallized ginger2 . Myself, I'm just too lazy to be bothered! Especially with that second one!

You know, I did the search for this earlier and I just now realized that the one was as www.foodsubs.com . It looks like an interesting site, I'll have to take a closer look. It looks like it could be a handy cooking reference...we'll see!

Mags

Re: - ginger crystallized - too much trouble for me! new
      #2360 - 03/10/03 11:58 AM
SharonMello

Hey Mags - doing it yourself (for me, anyway) is for the birds. I like things nice and easy because I have problem hands. My left thumb has DeQuervain's tendinitis and the right thumb isn't much better with arthritis. Oh well...so much for being over 55--yuk!

Glad you liked the Bakers Catalogue. I ordered a few things from them on line and I had my order within a week. Pretty good service and their prices are really good, especially for the candied ginger and rose and orange flower water. These waters are great when used with fruits.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: - ginger crystallized - I found some! new
      #2926 - 03/16/03 07:19 AM
*Melissa*

Sharon - Guess what! I went to this little produce outlet place & I got a 1 lb. bag for $3.00!! I can't believe I never thought of going there before, because I know I've found other stuff there for much cheaper that was usually so expensive in the grocery store. So, I had to go there anyway, and that's when the idea hit me to look for it there, and there it was! I love a bargain!

Do you have any places like that out in CA? Maybe they have some? This place has a section where they sell prepacked nuts, dried fruits, candies, etc., and that's where I found them.

Mags

Re: - ginger crystallized - I found some! new
      #2980 - 03/16/03 03:30 PM
SharonMello

Mags - everything in California is expensive. I'd have to look around in Sonora, but this being a tourist area, don't know if I could find anything like that. Probably would be just as well if I ordered it online. Thx anyway. ANd, I also love a bargain!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#121239 - 11/12/04 09:11 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

YES!! I found it!! THIS is the recipe that was in one of Heather's Newsletters this time last year.... I made these last year at Christmas and they were a BIG hit!! I was thinking of them because I bought some of the crystallized ginger to also make the biscotti recipe I posted. So, now I will not waist any for sure!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review