All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Japanese food/Sushi
      #221765 - 10/28/05 08:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Any IBS-safe Japanese or sushi recipes favourites of yours? Please chip in!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Japanese food/Sushi new
      #221897 - 10/28/05 04:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I like this recipe. sushi roll salad

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Sushi Rolls new
      #221906 - 10/28/05 05:02 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Take 1/2c rice vinegar, 4 Tbsp. sugar and 1.5 tsp salt and mix all of that together. This is called "sushi-su".

Make 4 cups (dry...cook according to directions) of sushi or Japanese rice (calrose) none of that Uncle Ben's stuff . Pour the "sushi-su" into the rice and mix well. Let cool.

Take your seaweed and bamboo mat if you have one (not neccessary though), take a cup of your rice and press it into the seaweed leaving about 1/2" of seaweed "empty" to seal. Press well as that will adhere the rice to the seaweed. It takes practice and your first few rolls may look a little scary but they taste good no matter how scary they look!

Roll with your favorite stuff crab, avocado, cucumber...I love wasabi and soy sauce.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

About the rice... new
      #221979 - 10/29/05 07:28 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...is that 4 cups before cooked or 4 cups after being cooked?

How big a piece of seaweed per how much rice? And how many servings does tis make? Does it last in the fridge for very long?

What is your favorite seaweed to use, Rachel?

Awe, maybe I'll just skip it! I'm sure to mess it up!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: About the rice... new
      #222121 - 10/30/05 12:10 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Don't skip it...it is easy as pie. 4 cups before cooking. It is best to use a rice cooker and they come with the "cup" which I think is 8 oz anyway and there is a line as to where you should put your water.

1 cup of rice to one piece of seaweed. I don't worry about the brand...it's all pretty much the same.

I think that makes about 6 rolls. I will eat a roll for a meal and it refirgerates pretty well.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Seaweed new
      #253104 - 03/19/06 07:14 PM
Augie

What kind of seaweeds are good for sushi? And how much do you use per cup of rice?

Do you put one piece of seawood on top and one on bottom and seel like a pie crust? How do you roll this and what do you seel the 1/2 inch to?

What is your favorite filling to add? Or do you just pour on some soy sauce?

I would really love to make this, but I'm still clueless as to the method.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Seaweed new
      #253122 - 03/20/06 03:20 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I'm not sure about the ratio of seaweed to rice, but I can answer your other questions.

The most common type of seaweed used is nori. You can find it (along with all other sushi equipment) in the Asian/international food section of your grocery store. It's normally in a clear, flat, plastic package.

You use one piece of seaweed per roll. You lay it out flat on your bamboo mat, and arrange the rice all over the nori (seaweed), to every edge except one, leaving a 1/2 inch gap. Then arrange your veggies on top of the rice, at one end, in a line. Using the bamboo mat as a guide and to help keep control, start rolling from the edge opposite where you left the gap. Press firmly as you are rolling.

The 1/2 inch is used to seal the nori to itself, so the roll doesn't unstick.

My favorite filling is fresh cucumber, or even small pieces of roasted sweet potato. Most sushi has a filling, and it can be dipped in soy sauce, served with wasabi (Japanese horseradish) or pickled ginger.

Try this site for more info

Thanks Isabel new
      #253673 - 03/22/06 08:19 AM
Augie

...but I still don't "get it"!

--------------------
~ Beth

It sounds like you need an illustrated guide... new
      #253875 - 03/22/06 08:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not a bad thing, either - I mean, I needed one. LOL I bought a sushi book off Amazon, and it's been pretty decent to work from. You could probably also find something in the cookbook section of the library.

Or... something I make more often here now is what the book I have refers to as "chirashi-zushi"... "chirashi" meaning "scattered". Instead of rolling the sushi rice in nori, you put it in a bowl, and then top it with various things, "scattering" them over the top of the rice. The last time I made it, I topped mine with a little fresh ginger & wasabi, shredded nori, shredded omelet, avocado, cucumber, and (cooked and chilled) shrimp, and it was GOOD.

Almost Instant Ramen Noodles new
      #253876 - 03/22/06 08:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I just posted the recipe here You tend to think of ramen as those silly packets of instant soup, but apparently it's a much healthier food in Japan.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24647

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review