Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
honey-roasted root vegetables
      #216411 - 09/28/05 05:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Honey-Roasted Root Vegetables

Honey amplifies the natural sugars of the caramelized vegetables in this dish. If you can't find tupelo honey, substitute another medium-color, floral variety, such as dandelion, loosestrife, or orange blossom.

2 cups coarsely chopped peeled sweet potato (about 1 large)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled turnip (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped parsnip (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrot (about 2 medium)
1/4 cup tupelo honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 shallots, halved
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450°.
Combine all ingredients except the cooking spray in a large bowl; toss to coat. Place vegetable mixture on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, stirring every 15 minutes.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

CALORIES 118(27% from fat); FAT 3.5g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.5g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 1.3g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 33mg; SODIUM 171mg; FIBER 2.3g; IRON 0.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 21.7g
Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2005

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Mmm this sounds really good... new
      #216718 - 09/30/05 07:22 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I love roasting root vegetables, and this sounds just so sweet and delicious!

smells good in my mind new
      #216727 - 09/30/05 07:42 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Truly classic autumn recipe. Somehow, though, it needs a fennel bulb in there and maybe some lavendar &/or rosemary. It's not 'stinky' enough for me!

Might have to make this if I get the guts up to go to family Thanksgiving dinner. (I doubt it, though!)

Kate.

results new
      #216923 - 10/01/05 07:54 PM
Little Minnie

Very good fresh but kind of mushy the next day and the kids that ate it thought it was gross. My sister adored it. It would have been better made today instead of yesterday.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Where do you find all this different types of honey? new
      #216981 - 10/02/05 11:01 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I only see the plain kind in Jewel. The one with the teddy bear!

How do you think this would freeze? I live alone and could cut the recipe in half...but that still leaves me with 4 days of food!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Where do you find all this different types of honey? new
      #217042 - 10/02/05 04:38 PM
Little Minnie

I don't know, farmer's markets and fairs. We bought different honeys at the state fair. The buckwheat one was nasty. I have a quart of local honey that I used for the recipe.
I think honey bear honey would be an acceptable flavor in the dish.
CL says it is not freezable. If you ate it as a dinner there would be no leftovers. I think 8 servings is way too high.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3398

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review