All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
icing request
      #216 - 01/30/03 10:27 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I was at work the other day (I work in a childcare center) and one of the parents brought in cupcakes for her daughter's birthday. Her daughter is allergic to a variety of foods (which means the cupcakes and frosting were probably IBS-safe), yet the cupcake frosting was delicious, and I'd love to find the recipe. Here's a description: golden brown, normal frosting consistency, not a strong flavor of anything I expected (such as caramel or maple), and not overly sweet. Any ideas? All of the frostings I grew up with were of the butter and confectioner's sugar variety--not very helpful now!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: icing request new
      #280 - 02/01/03 04:19 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I found a recipe in Better Homes and Garden cookbook:

Seven-Minute Frosting

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cold water
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter or 2 teaspoons light-colored corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. In the top of a double boiler combine sugar, cold water, egg whites, and cream of tarter or corn syrup. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds

2. Place over boiling water (upper pan should not touch water). Cook, beating constantly with the electric mixer on high speed, about 7 minute or till frosting forms stiff peaks. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Beat 2 to 3 minutes more or till it reaches spreading consistency. This frosts the tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers or one 10-inch tube cake.

Nutrition Facts per serving (1/12 of recipe): 100 cal;., 0 g of total fat, 0 mg chol., 10 mg sodium, 25g carbo, 0 g fiber, 1 g protein.

Variations on Seven-Minute Frosting new
      #113710 - 10/18/04 06:21 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Seven-Minute Frosting is a really old recipe... I found these variations on it in one of my old cookbooks. I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd leave these ideas anyway.

LEMON - Use lemon juice instead of 2 tbsp of the water, omit cream of tartar and vanilla and add 1/4 tsp grated lemon rind.

ORANGE - Use only 1/4 cup water. Use juice and rind of 1/2 orange instead of vanilla.

PEPPERMINT - Flavor with a few drops of oil of peppermint instead of vanilla.

CARAMEL - Use brown sugar instead of granulated.

Re: Variations on Seven-Minute Frosting new
      #235725 - 01/04/06 04:21 PM
ebrbetty

Reged: 03/31/05

sounds good, I should have put it on the no-pudge brownies i just made

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 337 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3548

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review