All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chicken Tetrazzini
      #209208 - 08/28/05 08:24 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

This recipe is from Weight Watchers. My modifications are in all caps.

Points value: 5
Servings: 8
Prep time: 25 min.
Cook time: 45 min.
Level of difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients:

12 oz. whole wheat egg noodles (NO YOLKS)
1 serving cooking spray
2 TB fat-free margarine (SMART BALANCE LITE)
3 TB tarragon flavored vinegar (I USED TARRAGON WINE VINEGAR - DIDN'T REALIZE THIS UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE, BUT IT WORKED OUT FINE)
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced (about 6 cups)
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 cup fat free skim milk (SOY MILK)
4tsp. arrowroot powder (This is a thickener. You could likely use cornstarch instead, but I don't know the measurement)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream (GALAXY SOUR CREAM SUBSTITUTE)
3 cups cooked chicken breast in bite-size pieces
1 c. frozen peas & carrots, thawed. (I USED FROZEN PEAS AND FRESH CARROTS)
3 TB non-fat grated cheese topping (Galaxy cheese sprinkles)

Instructions:
1. Cook noodles according to package instructions with added salt; drain and set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

3. Heat 1 TB margerine and all the vinegar in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms and set aside.

4. Whisk broth, milk and arrowroot together in a medium-size sauce pan until smooth. Stir in remaining TB margarine; set over medium heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until thickened and boiling, about 8 minutes. Stir in thyme, tarragon, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

5. Combine cooked noodles, chicken, mushrooms, peas & carrots, and sauce in a large bowl. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with grated topping. Bake until bubbling and hot and top is starting to turn brown, about 20 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve.

Snorkie's Comments: The seasoning seemed a little bland to me. I shook in some garlic powder and that did the trick. (Garlic is not a trigger for me.) I only used 3 cups of mushrooms, but that was just a husband-preference issue.

This was a tasty meal, but the sauce never thickened enough for me. I don't know if it was just my bad luck & inexperience with sauces, or if there's properties in soy products that don't allow them to thicken the same way as dairy. Any ideas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1577

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review