All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fruit salad
      #202219 - 08/03/05 05:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am making a fruit salad for a big potluck on Saturday. I thought I would make it a ROYGBIV salad in a trifle bowl with red grapes, blueberries, honey dew, mango or pineapple (don't like pineapple), muskmelon, strawberries. What should I put on it for flavor? I was thinking of just mixing lime zest and sugar in a processor but maybe something else would be better? I don't want to mess up the layers with stirring and wouldn't want the grapes to have all the good stuff at the bottom you know.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fruit salad new
      #202248 - 08/03/05 07:37 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Concentrated fruit juice with a little lime/lime zest and honey. The ascorbic acid keeps the fruit from browning and adds gorgeous sweetness. Maybe a little fruit vinegar? (I'm a big raspberry or blueberry or cranberry vinegar freak!!!) I often just use cran. concentrate, but I like the sweet/tart taste. There are tons of great fruit juice concentrates...lime juice? apple is always neutral. I've used wild blueberry and pom juice as well. I'd just choose something appealing. There's always the "glaze" option, i.e. heating vinegar and honey/sugar or alcohol and reducing. That might be a little heavy, though in the heat.
Oh wait...how about a lemonade or pink lemonade "vinaigrette?" With lemonade crystals or concentrate? WOW!!!
Kate.

Edited by Wind (08/03/05 07:39 PM)

#202261 - 08/03/05 08:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Honestly, with the fruit you've picked, I think the lime zest and sugar option sounds really good. You won't have to worry much about any of that stuff browning... with my fruit salads, I usually just use a splash of something citrus (for the browning) and sugar of some kind. The natural fruit juices do the rest.

#202283 - 08/03/05 10:17 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Here is one that you posted a few months back web page that I was looking at last night to make for a potluck that we are going to on Saturday!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

hey look at that! new
      #202519 - 08/04/05 02:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Thanks for reminding me. Perfect- lime zest, sugar and lime juice (I bought a bag of limes at Sam's. I bought so much fruit there and it was so cheap!)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Fruit Vinegars? new
      #202633 - 08/04/05 07:22 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Kate,

Where do you find cranberry and blueberry vinegars? I haven't heard of fruit vinegars before so I am definitely interested for using them for dressing on fruit salads. Thanks in advance.

Michelle

Re: Fruit Vinegars? new
      #202780 - 08/05/05 09:19 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

A lot of specialty shops carry fruit/herb vinegars. You can also buy them online. It's also really easy to make!!! Here's how I do it:

--2 c. vinegar (I use white wine)
--a pint of fruit (I've only ever used berries)
--2 Tbsp. sugar (optional, but it makes a difference)

1. Boil the fruit, vinegar, and sugar for about 3 minutes
2. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Pour through either a cheesecloth or a few coffee filters into a jar and cover with a tight lid/seal.
4 Let this jar sit in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks...
--Get a colander out and line it with either a few coffee filters or cheese cloth and strain the vinegar through the layers into a bowl. TOSS THE FRUIT. Put the strained vinegar into a bottle or jar. Cover tightly.

Good to use for about six months or so.

MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE VINEGAR? BLACKBERRY VINEGAR!!! Blueberry is pretty good, too! Most stores sell raspberry vinegar. These vinegars are great FATFREE and safe condiments/marinates/dressings, etc.

Kate.

Sounds great and easy too... new
      #202823 - 08/05/05 10:33 AM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Thanks Kate. I can't wait to head home and try this out on those extra raspberries I have. I will have to start checking some of the speciality food stores here. Never thought to look at vinegars...usually drool over the truffle oil.

-Michelle

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 416 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2960

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review