All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My staple food made with rice noodles
      #2020 - 03/06/03 10:47 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Anybody who knows a Filipino knows this dish. My mother-in-law was born in the Philippines and I have come to adore Filipino food. Most of it is very mild tasting, and in her family, "no meal is complete without rice". Needless to say, I fit right in. This dish is a wonder meal - all with rice, chicken and veggies and I used to make up a big batch Sunday night, and package 5 bowls for my lunch. It was always completely safe and yummy, and you can easily get all of the ingredients in a regular grocery store. I have also seen it made with shrimp. Substitute diced shrimp for the chicken, or if you're adventurous, by all means, add both.

Pancit Bijon (Pan-sit Bee-ghon) Bijon means rice sticks.
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup cooked chicken breast, finely sliced or shredded
1 cup cabbage, shredded
1 cup carrot cut into fine strips
1 cup green beans, sliced
2 tbsp soy sauce (I like Kikkoman sodium-reduced)
1 package 8 oz. bijon (rice vermicelli)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups water with a couple bouillon cubes

In a very large high edged non stick frying pan, saute garlic and onion in oil until tender. Add chicken, carrots, cabbage and green beans. Season with soy sauce and cook 3 minutes. Add broth and simmer. Cook until tender.
Soak bijon in warm water for a few minutes until tender. Drain and add to fry pan. Serve hot.

PS - a quick fix I did with this recipe was to throw the carrots, cabbage and green beans in the food processor for a few pulses until they are finely chopped. It's faster. That's the beauty of this recipe - the veggies are finely chopped and cooked until tender - IBS safe. Enjoy my staple food and let me know what you think!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5221

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review