All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
anyone have recipe for ginger cookies?
      #1911 - 03/04/03 05:39 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Ginger snaps are one of my favorite on the go snacks... Can I just substitute one whole egg for two whites and some soy product instead of butter, or does someone have a recipe?

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: anyone have recipe for ginger cookies? new
      #1924 - 03/04/03 08:50 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

H2,
I'm not an expert but from my experience and also what I've read on these boards biscuits and cookies don't come out that well without the butter. Why not try Heather's Gingerbread recipe. It is really nice. I make a couple of loaves at once and then freeze individually wrapped portions so I can grab a quick snack whenever I need.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: anyone have recipe for ginger cookies? Sub oil for butter new
      #1943 - 03/05/03 08:53 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

H2 - try substituting oil for the butter or applesauce (or pureed prunes) for equal amts of fat. Let us know if they turn out good!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

For gingersnaps... new
      #1952 - 03/05/03 11:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Unfortunately, it's darn near impossible to substitute for the solid fat (shortening or butter) in cookies and pastries without losing the texture. Liquid oils just don't work (I've had some serious disasters here) and you can't just use fruit purees as with cakes.

The best results I've had so far (and I'm playing with a gingersnap recipe right now) come from using half applesauce and half Spectrum spread. Spectrum is a non-hydrogenated canola oil spread found only in health food stores. I've used with great success in things like biscuits and pastry toppings. So far, it's working pretty well in cookies too. If you can't find it, use the healthiest soy or canola oil margarine you can find. The trick for the cookies is to try and lower that fat content while still keeping the crispy/chewy texture. Adding oatmeal can really help achieve this - you can actually grind the oatmeal to a fine powder in the blender first. This helps disguise that there is oatmeal in the recipe, but it still helps the texture a lot.

When I perfect the gingersnaps I'll post them. They're variation of my grandmother's traditional recipe, which I just love, and the revision is getting pretty good but it's still not equal to the original. Darn it!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: For gingersnaps... new
      #1973 - 03/05/03 04:50 PM
H2

Thanks so much guys! I look forward to your recipe for gingersnaps Heather! I might try some experimentation over the weekend, but I am rather new to cooking, and even my traditional attempts have had interesting results (ask my husband).

--------------------
-h2

#2062 - 03/06/03 06:16 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi! I just stumbled across this recipe by accident. I remembered your post from the other day, so I thought you might be interested. Now the only thing is, it uses whole wheat pasty flour, and I remember Heather saying for her apple spice walnut bread recipe--which by the way is absolutely fantabulous!!--that a little was safe because of all the other high soluble fiber ingredients. So, maybe you could either use this recipe to help tweak yours or viceversa. BTW: They had a long list of recipes for cookies that were fat free, including other ginger cookies, and some were even marked vegan. They were at www.fatfree.com .

Ginger Snaps

Ingredients:

1/4 C Apple Butter (or other fat substitute)
1/2 C molasses
1 1/2 C Whole wheat pastry flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t ginger powder
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingrediants and stir well.

Form 2 dozen 1" round balls and place on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet.
Moisten the bottom of a drink glass (I use a sponge) and flatten each
ball.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes @ 375 degrees.

#2063 - 03/06/03 06:38 PM
H2

Thanks, I can't wait to try it!!! Will let you know how it turns out...

--------------------
-h2

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review