All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SPAghetti Squash Salad
      #188885 - 06/24/05 09:25 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Warning: This salad contains no lettuce!!!

SPAghetti SQUASH SALAD

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash
enhancements of choice
dressing, I recommend NAKANO seasoned rice vinegar

Part A:
--1 spaghetti squash (cooked, pulled into spaghetti strands with a fork, and chilled)

Part B (the enchancements, or the "jewels"):

Any of the following enchancements or toppings, cooked and chilled are divine. Decide based on your preferences/tolerances.

--carrots
--beets
--mushrooms
--halved cherry tomatoes***
--green or yellow beans
--cooked pureed greens
--boiled/halved small potatoes***
--green/yellow zucchini(really good if they're grated)
--roasted/peeled peppers***
--green onions/scallions***
--herbs of choice, fresh or dried
--avocado slices***
--boiled plantain slices
--steamed artichoke hearts

Use your imagination. This is a wild and colourful salad that I totally adore!

Part C:

The dressing is really simple with just enough sweet and tang and zero fat. Just sprinkle on some Nakano seasoned rice vinegar, a little sea salt, herbs as desired.
Fresh lemon or lime juice is another option, as is balsalmic vinegar. Fatfree, hfcs-free, safe Italian dressing works to if you like that.

Another option, is salsa or chutney, or cranberry sauce/chutney/salsa.

Another option is a quick red sauce with beet puree or orange sauce with carrot puree or green monster sauce with puree of greens. Blueberry ketchup isn't bad either.

If you're into tomatoes, tomatoe sauce and if peppers are your thing, pureed roasted/peeled peppers work, too.

Edited by Wind (06/24/05 09:41 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SPAghetti Squash Salad new
      #188890 - 06/24/05 09:51 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

i love your suggestions!! They're really helpful for a vegan w/ a touchie stomach like me!! Keep em comin'!!!!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

#188892 - 06/24/05 09:54 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

ps--what is blueberry ketchup (is it a brand name, or actually blueberries? sorry if that a silly question....)

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

#188894 - 06/24/05 10:16 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi Kate,
Great recipe! I usually also make spaghetti squash with a teeny bit of olive oil, basil, and grape tomatoes (if tolerable!). Love it! Great ideas, and thanks!

#188934 - 06/24/05 12:46 PM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

Since I have never had speghetti squash - how much work is it to separate? Anne

#188990 - 06/24/05 05:53 PM
Wind

Spaghetti squash is EASY!!! You just cook it in one of three ways:

1. Cut in half; scoop out seeds; steam or boil in hot water for about 20 minutes or so. Drain and give it a cold water bath. Take a fork and scrape/comb out the pulp. Doing this forms spaghetti like strands.

2. Bake in microwave. Take halved and de-seeded squash, pierce or puncture with fork/knife (i.e. STAB it like you would a potatoe) and place in a dish with a little water and zap for about 20 minutes or until it is cooked. You'll see the skin start to separate from the flesh. Once cooked, give it a cold water bath and comb out flesh with fork into spaghetti strands. Remove skin, of course!

3. Roast in oven for 40 minutes to an hour. Give it the usual cold plunge and fork comb, etc.

IT SOUNDS MORE COMPLEX THAN IT IS. Basically, just pretend you're raking a lawn, except the lawn is a squash. The guts of the spaghetti squash naturally separate to form the strands.

A spaghetti squash is has a yellow skin/shell (helmet?). It ranges from pale to deep in tone.

Separating the strands takes less than 2 minutes.

#188992 - 06/24/05 06:02 PM
Wind

Ooops! As far as I know, you cannot buy blueberry catsup. It's basically just catsup but without the tomatoes. Same process and you can do it with any kind of fruit. Just fresh blueberries simmered in vinegar until it reduces--if vinegar bugs you just use some water--herbs, etc. and sugar/honey/stevia (sweetener of choice, if desired; personally I don't think it needs anything) and then pureed.
Think of it as flaming babyfood blueberries! I like doing this stuff with balsalmic vinegar. It's not bad with champagne vinegar or wine vinegar. Cooked and pickled blueberry puree or relish, I suppose is basically what I'm referring to. It's great with strawberries or raspberries or blackberries or service berries. Even apples or pears or peaches or cranberries or mango. I suppose plum sauce as we know it is a variation of this.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5652

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review