All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Spanish Tortilla - can anyone help make this safe?
      #187999 - 06/21/05 06:31 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I spent a summer in Spain a few years ago and loved it. One of my favorite dishes was Tortilla Espanola. Here's an unsafe recipe for it:

2 large potatoes, peeled and finely chopped (3 cups)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup diced cooked ham
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried chile pequins or red peppers
2 tablespoons cooking oil
6 beaten eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. Combine potatoes, onion, the 3/4 teaspoon salt, crushed chilies and ham.
2. Heat oil in a 10 inch ovenware skillet.
3. Add potatoe and ham mixture to skillet.
4. Cover and cook over med heat 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Combine eggs, milk, 1/2 t. salt and pepper.
6. Pour over potatoes and ham in skillet.
7. Reduce heat and cook over low heat 8 to 10 minutes or until eggs are nearly set.
8. Uncover skillet and place under broiler 3 to 4 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes or just until top is set.

4-6 servings

I was thinking that instead of the oil, I could use cooking spray, but I think all that oil is what gives it it's flavor. And cutting out the egg yolks will basically make it an egg white omelette with onions and potatoes.

Anyone tried this? What do you think?

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spanish Tortilla - can anyone help make this safe? new
      #188016 - 06/21/05 07:17 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi! My father's from Spain (Galicia), and this is one of my favorite Spanish dishes as well! However, the Spanish Tortillas I grew up eating are a bit different. We don't make it with ham, milk, or black pepper (sometimes we'll add the red peppers), so I think the version I'm used to isn't as unsafe as the recipe you've posted. It still tastes amazing though!

I haven't tried it using only egg whites; I wonder how much of the flavor would be lost. For now, it helps if I just have a small slice of the tortilla with some french bread as the SF base.

I've been working on a safe and easy recipe for tuna empanada. I'll post it if I get anywhere with it!

Ive made a safe one!!!!!!!!!! new
      #188098 - 06/22/05 06:05 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

I ADORE everything spanish, i speak the language and Ive done exchanges living with a family and working in a primary school in alicante and I LOVED their tortillas too. So, last year I did decide to make one....the ingredients were pretty much the same as yours apart from no ham....you could use chicken or a soy type alternative....I just had pure veggies...and soy milk/rice milk instead of ordinary. However many eggs they wanted I just doubled the number and used egg whites. I dont think I seasoned it enough but it turned out fab! I did cook it on the stove then in the oven like they do. I remember it turned out huge and I was eating it cold out the fridge for lunch for days after like they do in spain sometimes. Ive never been a whole egg fan either so with egg whites it turned out great. Use oil spray on the pan if you can and apart from that have a go....I'd definately recommend it! Might make one this weekend actually....my mum and dad are taking me to a spanish restaurant on monday actually for a paella....I ADORE them too but they are VERY greasy....I find with the rice though I do fine aslong as I dont stuff myself full!

P.S if you want the recipe Ive got I'll post it if you like????

--------------------
Natalie

Safe Spanish Tortilla Recipe new
      #188104 - 06/22/05 06:12 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I've been meaning to post this for a while. I have been making a much safer version of Tortilla Espanola, but I don't have the exact quantities.

Basic Safe Tortilla Espanola
Get a deep pan (probably not cast iron unless it is really seasoned smooth and you are strong enough to flip it and turn the egg out) and spray it generously with olive oil Pam.

Slice 2 or 3 good-sized potatoes really thin, like silver dollars. Chop up one large onion in small pieces. Sautee the potatoes and onion together in the pan, but don't let them brown. When the onions and potatoes are translucent and you can easily break the potatoes with a little pressure from the spatula, add enough egg whites to cover the veggies and almost fill up the pan. I just pour straight from the jar of Eggology so I have no idea how much. Make sure the egg whites are well shaken or beaten, so you can incorporate air and make it fluffy. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, or whatever you want.

Keep the fire low enough so that the bottom does not brown. Do not stir the mixture, but gently pull it from the sides of the pan with your spatula, and give the pan a good shake now and then so it doesn't stick. When it is solid enough, turn off the fire, place an inverted plate on top of the pan, and (USING POTHOLDERS) flip the egg out on to the plate, and then slide it back into the pan to cook the other side. (My host mom in spain had a special pan for this, that was like two pans connected face to face, and she just turned the entire contraption. So cool.) Turn the fire back on medium-low. When it is good and firm, but not browned, it is ready. Turn it out onto a plate again, or simply serve it out of the pan. Drizzle it with a safe amount of very flavorful olive oil (I like Goya Extra Virgin). This will impart a lot of yummy flavor, but you don't need to use all that oil for cooking. Cut servings like a pie. This is great hot or cold, appetizer or entree, on its own or in a bagguette with ketchup.

You can add almost anything to the potato and onion mixture as you are cooking it. The Tortilla Espanola is really a catchall for any leftovers you have. I've used bacos before, and it came out pretty yummy. It's a great way to sneak some IF into your diet, so try using some finely chopped red and green peppers (for color), coarsely chopped parsely, garlic, and anything else you like.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Edited by AmandaPanda (06/22/05 08:00 AM)

#188181 - 06/22/05 08:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

1. Substitute the ham for chicken or seafood.
2. Substitute the eggs for egg whites.

The cooking oil should be just fine since it's only a small amount - I'd leave it in. Great recipe! Go for it, girl!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Ive made a safe one!!!!!!!!!! new
      #188209 - 06/22/05 08:53 AM
lalala

OOh, that sounds good! I'd love to see your safe recipe! I don't know if I would eat it with chicken or soy sub because I'm not used to having meat w/ it, but maybe I'll give it a try. I actually like it better cold! I used to eat it with lentil soup and french bread, but then, with the IBS, too much IF in the lentil soup caused problems.

Thank you for sharing your safe version and love of Spain! I've been there a few times to visit family and it always feels like home. It's such a beautiful country!

Thanks for sharing your safe version! Sounds delicious! -nt- new
      #188214 - 06/22/05 08:56 AM
lalala

Re: Safe Spanish Tortilla Recipe new
      #188241 - 06/22/05 09:14 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Oops, I didn't even see the ham in this recipe! I've never had it with ham, either, but I have had it with zucchini and it was fantastic.

Thanks so much for the recipe - I will make it this week! Yummm!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Safe Spanish Tortilla Recipe new
      #188296 - 06/22/05 10:49 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

You're welcome, good luck. I bet some turkey "ham" and turkey bacon would be pretty yummy, but I usually just like it plain.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#189747 - 06/28/05 07:39 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

You've already got some great ideas/alternatives here, but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway

Quote:

2 large potatoes, peeled and finely chopped (3 cups)
1 medium onion, finely chopped Personally I'd reduce that a lot or take it out completely and replace with onion powder, but my tolerance for the acidity (?) of onions is really low
1 cup diced cooked ham replace with chicken (or fish) - or leave out all together
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried chile pequins or red peppers
2 tablespoons cooking oil it seems this is just for sauteeing, so I'd just use Pam, like you said. You can get flavoured ones (like butter or olive oil), so that might help a little with the flavour, but not sure
6 beaten eggs 12 beaten egg whites (though I see what you mean about it becoming kind of omlette-y)
1/3 cup milk soy or rice milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Sounds like a great recipe! I loooove spicy foods. Does this mixture then go into/on a tortilla, or is that just a Spanish word that's improperly used in English?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5283

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review