Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Greek style picnic salad - cooking light
      #184559 - 06/08/05 07:50 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Greek-Style Picnic Salad

For authentic Greek flavor, substitute two teaspoons chopped fresh oregano for dried.

2 cups uncooked white rice
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 cups bagged prewashed spinach (about 8 ounces)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups (8 ounces) reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled have to take out
1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
10 lemon wedges (optional)

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Cool to room temperature; set aside.
Combine boiling water and sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and cut into 1-inch pieces.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil use olive oil spray in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Combine rice, tomatoes, spinach mixture, cheese, and next 5 ingredients (through chickpeas). Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with nuts; serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 288(30% from fat); reduced by lessening oil and removing cheese. FAT 9.5g (sat 2.6g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 10.3g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 110mg; SODIUM 713mg; FIBER 4g; IRON 3.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 41.8g
Cooking Light, JUNE 2005

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Galaxy Foods Veggie Crumbles makes a soy feta!! -nt- new
      #184741 - 06/08/05 01:00 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Greek style picnic salad - cooking light new
      #184784 - 06/08/05 01:38 PM
Knit Girl

Reged: 06/08/05

This sounds great, but I thought that garlic, lemon, olives, etc. were on the no-no list? Also, in general, is baby spinach easier on the tummy than regular? I have been avoiding all greens recently, and don't really know what's safe any more...

#184868 - 06/08/05 05:58 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

For newbies many things are unsafe that will be safe later. Garlic is something that can bother some people but is in many of the recipes here and in Heather's books. Lemon is pretty well tolerated in a whole meal. Oily/fatty things can be eaten in moderation. It is the total fat for a meal that is important. Keeping that count low is important but being completely fat free is not a good idea.
It would be worth buying Heather's books to see what is safe and what isn't.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#185256 - 06/09/05 04:08 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Knit Girl, if spinach is a problem for you you can either reduce the amount or leave it out entirely. It's all about what you can tolerate individually. Spinach still doesn't always agree with me, so I'd probably use half the amount in this recipe.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

bumping this up.. it sounds great!! -nt- new
      #272781 - 07/06/06 10:41 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3848

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review