All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Naan
      #170324 - 04/16/05 08:11 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Does anyone have a good recipe for Naan? I tried one recipe the other day and didn't turn out very good!

Thanks,

Leanne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Weeelll... how about chapathis? new
      #170425 - 04/16/05 08:17 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't have a recipe for naan, but my Indian cookbook has one for chapathis, and I've made them, and they were quite tasty - just a basic plain flatbread.

Chapathis

2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white, of course)
1/2 tsp salt
Boiling water (very important that it's boiling!)

Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt and combine with as little boiling water as possible, about 3tbsp, to make a dough that is soft but not sticky.

Form the dough into balls, roll and flatten them on a lightly floured board to make small pancakes. (Note: I found this worked best when I used a rolling pin and flattened them to about tortilla size/thickness.)

Heat a pan DRY, no oil or fat, and cook the chapathis for about 2 minutes on each side, until speckled and puffy.

Makes 4-6. (I found it made 6.)

Re: Naan new
      #170750 - 04/18/05 04:09 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi,
I dont have a recipe for naan but as Atomic rose suggests, chapatti is OK. Frankly every time I eat naan I get 'D' and have a bad time the whole day. So be careful. Jenny

#170822 - 04/18/05 09:01 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Jenny,

I don't know if you're talking about a reaction to naan you make yourself or to naan in restaurants, but...

In some restaurants here, naan is made with dairy - I had no idea until I read it somewhere on the IBS Diet Board. If it's the same there, maybe that's what's triggering you. (Too bad - I really like it.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Yeah... (and another alternative) new
      #170826 - 04/18/05 09:09 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's a bummer. I love naan. But the last time I ate in an Indian restaurant, the naan was covered with ghee (butter), and I believe it's made with yogurt anyway.

Chapathis are a good alternative. Or, if you really want something but don't want to make bread from scratch... take flour tortillas, spray them with cooking spray, and throw them on a grill (grilling is best, but a dry pan will work too) a bit longer than it takes to heat them through. The cooking spray keeps them from getting too crisp, and believe it or not, they puff a bit in the middle and the grilling gives them a flavor similar to the tandoor ovens. I tried it once on a whim and couldn't even believe it worked! Tortillas don't get the slightly puffy texture that chapathis will, but for something quick to sop up curry sauces with, it works.

Cool. I had no idea - thanks -nt- new
      #170828 - 04/18/05 09:12 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Weeelll... how about chapathis? new
      #170958 - 04/18/05 02:56 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Thanks! I will try the Chapathis....I did find a recipe for naan and it did contain milk...I made it anyway as I had company and it turned out great....however not something I want to eat every day..

Thanks again,

Leanne

#171160 - 04/18/05 11:00 PM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Here we do not make naans at home as almost everywhere there are shops making naans and we get them hot and crispy. I do not know if it is the milk or the soda that is put in it that does not agree with me. My tummy puffs up with much pain. So I just dont eat it. There are tandoors (mud made kind of baking) everywhere and it cooks well there. We also get ready made chapattis which we have to cook at home. Those who want to use oil do so but I just cook without oil.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4630

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review