All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread
      #170165 - 04/15/05 11:11 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

This is my first recipe post ever. Eek! I don't have much talent in the kitchen, but I found this recipe, adapted it a bit and I liked it so much it became a staple once I "broke the cycle." It makes an extra tasty breakfast or snack with a cup of Teeccino or tea!

Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup egg substitute
1 can (16 oz) whole cranberry sauce
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (I set aside a tsp as a treat for my cat! )
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl. Next add wet ingredients to dry; mix to just moistened. Stir in walnuts. Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake 50-60 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread new
      #170172 - 04/15/05 11:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Sounds yummy, Maria. I struggle to find something I like for breakfast, so I'll definitely give this a try. (If I don't have a cat, can I use the whole can of pumpkin in the bread? )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#170176 - 04/15/05 11:27 AM
lalala

If I don't have a cat, can I use the whole can of pumpkin in the bread?

LOL! Definitely!

Oh, Maria, this is delicious! new
      #173571 - 04/25/05 02:39 PM
Sand

I made it yesterday and it was yummy all the way down the line: batter, warm from the oven, and cooled this morning for breakfast. I didn't really taste either the pumpkin or the cranberry as such; it was just really, really good.

I followed the recipe exactly, except I just sprayed the pans with Pam, rather than greasing and flouring. And I used the walnuts.

I used Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce, but when I read the can it has HFCS. I checked at Whole Foods today and found their 365 Day Brand Organic Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce which does NOT have HFCS. So I got a can for next time I make this - which will be soon.

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Yay! I'm glad you liked it. new
      #173603 - 04/25/05 04:41 PM
lalala

I've been using the same Ocean Spray Whole Berry sauce and I didn't even think it might contain HFCS. Weird! I guess that's a lesson for me to ALWAYS, ALWAYS read the ingredients list. I'll have to find a sub since there's not a Whole Foods near where I live.

Well, I still have to try your mini-cinnamon roll recipe; I keep forgetting the cresecent rolls when I go shopping. I put it on my list, but then went I get to the grocery store I don't even look at it. Lol. Anyway, I've been reading all these great recipes, marking ones I want to try--I don't even know where to start!

Re: Yay! I'm glad you liked it. new
      #173768 - 04/26/05 07:24 AM
Sand

I'm tolerating the HFCS fine in your bread - I think there's enough SF in there to cushion it.

I looked for a non-HFCS cranberry sauce because I've found myself doing a lot of hand-waving lately: Oh, I can handle a little egg yolk in my mayonnaise; a little HFCS in my ketchup; a little this in my that. I figure pretty soon I'll build up a critical mass of a little this-in-my-that and my tummy will explode! So my new resolve is to tolerate a little this-in-my-that only when I can't find a substitute. (I even found myself looking at homemade ketchup recipes on the Internet. I decided to lie down for a while with a cold compress on my head and felt much more myself when I got up. )

--------------------

#173934 - 04/26/05 01:17 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Congrats on a winnner, keep up the posting of recipes, it's much appreciated.

Do ALL cats like pumpkin? So funny......

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Maria, does your Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread freeze well? -nt- new
      #218972 - 10/11/05 03:50 PM
Sand

--------------------

#219011 - 10/11/05 07:51 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I know there is HFCS in the cranberry sauce - does it bake out where it is safer???

#219024 - 10/11/05 09:00 PM
lalala

Quote:

I know there is HFCS in the cranberry sauce - does it bake out where it is safer???

I don't think so. You could try to find another brand of whole cranberry sauce that doesn't contain HFCS, like Sand did. (She uses the Whole Foods brand.) Personally, I haven't had a problem with it. I'm assuming maybe there's not enough in a slice or serving to aggravate my IBS symptoms or, as Sand mentioned, there's enough SF to "cushion" the HFCS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 300 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16111

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review