All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Baked pita chips
      #169218 - 04/12/05 09:19 AM
IBSnewbie74

Reged: 04/12/05

Has anyone tried baking their own pita chips? Does one just put pita bread in the oven or is their a special technique to get it crunchy?

Christine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Baked pita chips new
      #169224 - 04/12/05 09:43 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

What I typically do is split the pita so it's in a single layer, and then cut it in wedges or tear it into smaller pieces. Then I lay them out on a cookie sheet and bake them at a low-ish temperature - maybe 300 - till they're dry and crisp but not browning much. They'll also crisp up even more as they cool.

If you like, before you stick them in the oven, you can also spray them *lightly* with cooking spray and sprinkle them with seasonings of choice - sometimes I do a little garlic salt.

Enjoy!

I do this with tortillas too! new
      #169460 - 04/13/05 05:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And they're great...salt and black pepper is my latest flavour and it was yum!

did I do something wrong? new
      #304913 - 04/14/07 07:19 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

I made these but they didn't come out well. I think I left them in for about 10 minutes and when they came out they were quite crispy but then eating them after they had cooled they were just like stale pita bread rather than chips. I think maybe I just didn't leave them in long enough? or is this how they're meant to be? lol
thanks in advance for any replies

Re: Baked pita chips new
      #327938 - 04/07/08 03:48 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made myself some baked pita chips today like this:

Take 1 pita, separate into two disks, and cut each disk into quarters. You end up with 8 "chips".

Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. The side that used to be the inside of the pita should be facing up.

Spray with non-stick spray - I used Pam Olive Oil flavor. Be careful - spray too much and you end up with soggy spots.

Sprinkle on desired flavoring. I tried salt on a couple; garlic salt on a couple; and each of the four different flavors in a bread-dipping combo that was a gift.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.

The garlic salt flavor was yummy although I'll use less the next time. The bread-dipping mix that contained rosemary was delicious also.

These are very easy to make, cheap to make, and at least as good as the store-bought kind.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (04/08/08 08:42 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4733

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review