Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
passover recipes from Gourmet- some are GF
      #164820 - 03/28/05 06:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

CRUNCHY PECAN COOKIES

Egg whites give these addictive cookies — a variation on macaroons — their light, airy texture.

6 oz pecans (1 1/2 cups)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
Scant 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
Special equipment: parchment paper

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Coarsely chop 1 cup pecans and set aside. Pulse remaining 1/2 cup pecans in a food processor with sugar, potato starch, salt, and cinnamon until finely ground (be careful not to pulse to a paste), then stir into egg whites. Stir in remaining cup chopped pecans.

Drop 1/2 tablespoons of batter 2 inches apart on baking sheet and bake until cookies are lightly browned and slightly puffed, 15 to 17 minutes. Slide parchment onto a rack and cool cookies completely (cookies will crisp as they cool), then remove from paper. Bake and cool 2 more parchment-lined sheets of cookies in same manner.

Cooks' note:
Cookies can be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.

Makes about 42 cookies.
Gourmet
April 2005
2.9 grams of fat per cookie

CARDAMOM APPLE ALMOND CAKE

Cardamom loses flavor and aroma quickly, so be sure to store it in an airtight container in a cool dry place — never near your stove.
Because the cornstarch in confectioners sugar isn't kosher for Passover, we powdered granulated sugar in an electric coffee/spice grinder and mixed it with potato starch for a similar effect.

For cake
Vegetable oil for greasing pan
1/2 cup matzo meal (not cake meal), plus additional for dusting
1 cup slivered almonds (4 1/2 oz), toasted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon salt
Scant 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
5 large eggs, separated, at room temperature for 30 minutes I am going to use egg beaters for the yolks and whites for the whites.
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely grated

For powdered sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon potato starch

Special equipment: a 9- to 9 1/2-inch (24-cm) springform pan; an electric coffee/spice grinder

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Oil springform pan and dust with matzo meal, knocking out excess.

Pulse almonds in a food processor with 1/2 cup matzo meal, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cardamom until finely ground. (Be careful not to pulse to a paste.)

Beat yolks in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until smooth, then add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating, and beat until mixture is very thick and pale, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in nut mixture, then apples. Beat whites and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in another bowl with cleaned beaters at medium speed until they hold soft peaks. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, beating, and beat until whites just hold stiff peaks. Stir one fourth of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Scrape batter into pan and rap pan once on work surface to eliminate any large air bubbles.

Bake cake until puffed, browned, and top springs back when touched, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool completely in pan (cake will sink slightly in center). Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen, then remove side of pan.

Make powdered sugar:
Grind sugar in coffee/spice grinder until powdered, then stir together with potato starch in a bowl. Sift some of sugar over cake before serving and reserve remainder for another use.

Cooks' note:
Cake can be made 1 day ahead, cooled completely, then kept, covered with foil, at room temperature.

Makes 8 servings. 9 grams of fat each. Probably cut eat a smaller slice.
Gourmet
April 2005

SWEET-AND-SOUR CHICKEN THIGHS WITH CARROTS

The Ashkenazic and Sephardic traditions feature dishes with sweet-and-sour combinations such as honey and lemon. Serve this chicken with potatoes or matzo farfel, and you've got a great meal.

8 small chicken thighs with skin and bone (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 lb total), trimmed of excess fat
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into1/4-inch-wide strips
1 lb carrots (6 medium), cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons mild honey
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro

Pat chicken dry. Stir together 1 1/2 teaspoons salt with paprika, cinnamon, and pepper and rub onto chicken.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown chicken in 2 batches, turning over once, about 10 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken as browned to a plate.

Discard all but 3 tablespoons fat from skillet, then add onion and carrots. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.

Return chicken, skin sides up, to skillet, nestling it into vegetables. Stir together water, lemon juice, and honey until blended and add to skillet, then cook over moderately low heat, covered, until chicken is cooked through and carrots are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. If necessary, skim fat from sauce, then add salt to taste. Sprinkle with herbs just before serving.

Makes 4 to 6 main-course servings.
Gourmet
April 2005

SAVORY RED PEPPER AND ONION MATZO BREI

6 (6-inch) unsalted matzos
6 large eggs egg beaters
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 medium onions, halved lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
2 red bell peppers, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil couple Tablespoons

Break matzos into roughly 1-inch pieces into a colander, then rinse under hot tap water until pieces are softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Lightly beat eggs with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon dill in a large bowl and stir in matzos until coated well.

Cook onions and peppers in oil in a 12-inch heavy nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add matzo mixture, then increase heat to moderately high and sauté, stirring frequently and breaking up clumps, until matzos are well browned, about 17 minutes. Season with salt, then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon dill.

Makes 4 main-course or 8 side-dish servings.
Gourmet
April 2005

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ruchie are the cookies GF? - nt new
      #165071 - 03/29/05 03:39 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

look yummy.. new
      #165184 - 03/30/05 06:04 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and yes the cookies are a form of merengues and thus gluten free.. many passover googies are.. my favorite sponge cake (too many yolks for ibs) is gluten free potato starch based.. mom and her celiac friends love passover since its so easy to adapt to a gluten free lifestyle

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

cool -nt new
      #165408 - 03/30/05 02:13 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Re: passover recipes from Gourmet- some are GF new
      #165697 - 03/31/05 10:05 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Tamara! The Pecan cookie looks wonderful....
I over bought potato starch flour and have a bunch of it to use up..here is where I'm going to start..
So if you have any more recipes/ideas using potato starch flour bring them on they will be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered Cooking Light...based on your recommendation--got a special in the mail so how could I refuse?

Thanks, Kandee

--------------------

potato starch... new
      #165725 - 03/31/05 11:19 AM
khyricat

makes yummy angel food cake! or sponge cake if you can handle the yolks! just stocked up on this and a HUGE thing of matza meal to use as bread crumbs since DH doesn't like the japanese ones on everything- they don't get as crunchy!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Educate me Amie.. new
      #165964 - 03/31/05 06:26 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

You mean all matzo meal is GF?
Where have I been? Duh...
I'm looking for a GF sub for soda crackers for making hubby his chicken fried steak (yuck)...you think matzo meal would work?

Love sponge cake (yes, I occasionally cheat with yolks) and hate angel food cake..it tastes like cotton candy that's not sweet enough...
Somewhere I think I saw a recipe for potato starch flour sponge cake but if you have one please post it, OK?

Thanks again,

Kandee

--------------------

Cooking Light new
      #165994 - 03/31/05 07:47 PM
Little Minnie

I hope you like it! I have subscribed since 1997. I think they are slightly low carby now but still I find tons of recipes to adapt and the fitness articles are so good.

--------------------

Re: Educate me Amie.. new
      #166054 - 04/01/05 06:40 AM
khyricat

NO matza isn't gluten free- but mom found GF matza (I think it was oat based)! she had to search for it though... I know mom makes a sponge cake, I'll ask her if she knows where it is, but they moved right around pesach last year, so not sure about that one.. then again she is mostly gluten free anyway, but she's been dieting all year...

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I thought Matzah Meal was NEVER gluten free as it is made from Matzah... new
      #166204 - 04/01/05 01:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

and Matzah is simply unleavened white flour and water. How can that EVER be gf? (Sorry Amie...I just don't get it ) Am I missing something? It'd be GREAT to use Matzah meal! Thanks Amie *hugs* P.S. How are you?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9746

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review