All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Norwegian Apple Pan Pie
      #153232 - 02/23/05 11:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I got this recipe from my mother's best friend, Ruth, who got it from June, an old friend of both families. June, Ruth, and I are all at least half Norwegian, so I think that makes it authentic.

I don't know why this recipe works - it doesn't seem like there's enough stuff in it - but it does and it's delicious. I found it a little too sweet and a little too vanilla-y as given, so I reduced the sugar and the vanilla a little. As for the nuts, I made it with them and had no trouble, but if they bother you, you can grind them up, use less, or leave them out. I also tried substituting 1/2 cup raisins for the nuts and it was good, but a little sweet.

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why I couldn't put a little cinnamon in here, too, and maybe make it more like Mom's Apple Pie (or Mrs. Smith's).

Norwegian Apple Pan Pie
Makes 1 shallow pie

Pam or other cooking spray
1 egg (I substitute 1/4 cup Egg Beaters, 1/4 cup All-Whites, or whites from 2 eggs)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (I prefer 5/8 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I prefer 1/2 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1 cup peeled, diced apples (about 1 medium apple) OR 1 cup peeled, diced pears (I haven't tried this with pears yet)

Pre-heat over to 350 degrees.
Spray 8 or 9 inch pie pan with Pam and set aside.

Beat egg, sugar, vanilla, salt, and baking powder until smooth and fluffy. (I've used an electric mixer and a wire whisk and both methods work equally well.)
Beat in flour until smooth and well blended.
Stir in nuts and apples.

Turn into pie plate. (At this point it looks nothing like a pie, but just wait till it cooks.)
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes

The original recipe says to serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, but this is great warm, room temperature, or cold, and unadorned is just yummy.

I'd refrigerate it after a day.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh, this sounds good! new
      #153353 - 02/23/05 02:23 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If I remember (!), I'm going to try this sometime this weekend. I may try the pear variation - I'll let you know how it comes out!

This does look GREAT! -nt- new
      #153366 - 02/23/05 03:00 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Ok, this is really, REALLY good! new
      #163830 - 03/24/05 04:10 PM
atomic rose

I finally got a chance to make this tonight. I think I used a little more apple than called for, and I cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup (it was still very sweet)... oh, and I added a smidge of cinnamon... it is DELICIOUS. This recipe is totally a keeper - thank you, Sand!

Re: Ok, this is really, REALLY good! new
      #163972 - 03/25/05 08:17 AM
Sand

I'm so glad you liked it, Rose. I just got an Easter card from Ruthie, the woman who gave me the recipe, so now I can write back and tell her her recipe is a hit on the Internet. I suspect she's never even seen a personal computer, so she'll be tickled pink!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

casey new
      #164099 - 03/25/05 03:21 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

have you figured out the calories for this (i am lazy and thinking of making it)

--------------------
S.

If you cut it into 6 slices... new
      #164115 - 03/25/05 04:30 PM
atomic rose

It was, I believe, 156 calories per slice with 1/4 cup (decreased from the original) of walnuts... 125 per slice with no nuts at all. Keep in mind that I also decreased the sugar to 1/2 cup.

Thanks, Rose, I should have done the math when I posted it -nt- new
      #164238 - 03/26/05 08:12 AM
Sand

--------------------

Re: Norwegian Apple Pan Pie new
      #164272 - 03/26/05 12:10 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

OMG does this sound good...Thanks for posting....it's a keeper!!!

I was thinking the other day about those "Impossible Pie" dishes that Bisquick used to have, and how I'd try one to be GF...
This is similar in that it makes it's own crust and because it uses so little flour it can be adapted to be GF easy enuf with an alt. flour blend.

Thanks, Kandee

--------------------

Re: Norwegian Apple Pan Pie new
      #164277 - 03/26/05 12:45 PM
Sand

I'm glad it's workable for GF people, too, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30761

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review