All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!
      #152191 - 02/20/05 02:55 PM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

I just made a batch of these and immediately thought of my IBS friends as I haven't posted in a while. This recipe came out of the latest Cooking Light (my favorite cooking mag!!!)

3 tbsp canola
2 1/2 tbsp corn syrup
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites
1 1/4 C flour
1 1/4 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C chocolate chips (could use carob chips but I used the real deal!)
Cooking spray
1. Combine oil and syrup in a large bowl, stir well with whisk. Add sugars stir well. Stir in vanilla and eggs.
2. Combine flours, soda, and salt in another bowl. Add to sugar mixture and stir well. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F
4. Drop by level tbsp 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 F for 8 min. or until almost set. Cool on pan for 2 min or until firm. Yield 44 cookies.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey! new
      #152228 - 02/20/05 04:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was just going to post this one! I love Cooking Light too and always recommend it. I think everyone should subscribe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Hey! new
      #153128 - 02/23/05 09:14 AM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

I'm PMSing and needed some good old JUNK! I could've eaten the whole batch if it hadn't been for DH and DD's!!! It was so comforting to know I could eat the whole batch and not be really ill!!!

I've been subscribing to cooking light for 10 years now and I love every issue. Finally just started clipping recipes and throwing the magazines away! The food is easily adaptable for my dietary issues. And everything is always super yummy.
Rena

#153386 - 02/23/05 04:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yep I love CL too. I have subscribed for 8 years. I made the cookies on Monday and everyone liked them a lot. I think it was a great recipe.
I have e-mailed CL a couple times about doing an article about IBS and the IBS diet but they refuse and say there aren't enough people that would be interested! I believe about 1/3 of the population has IBS and since the diet is healthy otherwise they might as well run an article! I should keep trying. It would be a good way to let more people know there is a diet that would help them.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies!!! new
      #214777 - 09/20/05 03:10 PM
Laurel M

Reged: 04/18/05
Loc: Texas

I just have a quick question: the recipe calls for whole wheat flour, which I thought was a no-no for us. Or is it okay because it's also using "safe" flour, and that helps "pave the way" for the whole wheat stuff?

Thanks...I'm looking forward to trying these cookies, as I've really missed chocolate chip cookies!!

#214799 - 09/20/05 04:30 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I always use all white flour instead. Your call. A lot of people would probably be OK w/ the whole wheat, since it does have half white flour as well. If you don't do well with insolubles, I'd just do all white flour. Anyway, I've made these several times and they are excellent!

P.S. if you're lazy, you can spread the whole batch in a jelly roll pan and bake that way

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pastry flour is very finely milled, new
      #214819 - 09/20/05 05:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

so I'm able to use it much more easily than regular whole wheat flour. You could also just sub regular white flour.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Fabulous! new
      #286467 - 10/14/06 12:37 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made these last night and they're great. I used all white flour and snuck in a few extra chips, other than that I followed the recipe exactly. The only problem is that the raw dough is so good, I ended up eating about 5 cookies that way.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Choc chips are safe??? new
      #286673 - 10/16/06 01:39 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

So does this mean chocolate chips are safe? Like regular old toll house morsels?? We can eat those??? I thought we couldn't have chocolate... just cocoa in recipes... please tell me I'm wrong!

#286684 - 10/16/06 03:01 PM
Sand

The problem with chocolate chips is twofold: First, they almost always have dairy. I found dairy-free ones - I bought Ghiradelli brand but I'm pretty sure some people have posted that they've found store brands that are dairy free. The Ghiradelli package says, "May contain trace amounts of dairy" but my understanding is that since no dairy shows up in the list of ingredients that's just a warning because the chips are made on equipment that also makes dairy.

Second - and this there is no way to get around - chocolate chips are high in fat. My Ghiradelli chips get more than 50% of calories from fat. Once you put them in the chocolate chip cookie recipes the percent for the whole recipe is less than that, of course, but my guess is that these cookies are still on the high side as far as fat is concerned (I haven't done the math). This means that - like a lot of the desserts on the Recipe Board - they should be eaten in reasonable quantities (ROFL) after a low-fat high SF meal.

The same rules hold true for candy bars, chocolate bars, and ice cream - if you can find ones that don't contain any triggers like dairy or egg yolks you can handle their high fat content provided you eat a little of them after a low-fat high SF meal.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#286685 - 10/16/06 03:05 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

They aren't 'safe' but I can handle them in small quantity in something like Oatmeal muffins.

--------------------
Kat

fat content new
      #286709 - 10/16/06 06:47 PM
jen1013

I clipped this from "Cooking Light" and the CFF is 22%. However, that's from the original recipe -- I can't imagine there will be that much difference in calories from the whole wheat pastry flour vs. white flour, but I don't know if grain-sweetened chocolate chips have less calories than regular chocolate chips. I'm betting they have just as much fat.

I am almost positive that the Wal-Mart generic brand (Sam's Choice, I believe) is "safe" as far as ingredients go, but of course as Sand said they're high in fat and need to be used in moderation. For anyone else in the Midwest, Hy-Vee's lower-budget generic chocolate chips are also safe (or they were last time I bought them) -- I can't remember what the brand name is, though. Market Faire or something like that? The bag is a sort of ghastly washed-out aqua color.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

So I made these again tonight and I realized... new
      #288187 - 10/27/06 04:47 PM
Sand

that nowhere in the recipe does it say when to add the chocolate chips. I've been adding them once the two bowls are combined and before refrigeration and that seems to work.

--------------------

Chocolate chips and nuts new
      #289728 - 11/11/06 11:38 AM
Sand

I made these again and substituted chopped pecans for half the chocolate chips. They're really good that way but it does add more calories and more fat.

1/2 cup chocolate chips has 280 calories, 160 from fat
1/2 cup chopped pecans has 420 calories, 380 from fat

And the nuts are more IF, too.

Oh, and I've left the raw dough in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and the cookies turned out fine when I baked them.

--------------------

Re: ooohhh these are good new
      #299572 - 02/11/07 08:39 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I went to a potluck last night where the only thing I ate was the chicken dish I brought, the rice I brought, and the cantaloupe I brought. (I was told not to bring desserts because they had so many people bringing cakes and stuff, all of which I couldn't eat)

Sooo.. today I spoiled myself and made an entire batch of these cookies (minus about 3 cookie's worth of dough) and they were sooo good! I ate about 8 after cooking them. I've never felt so free to endulge!

mmmm chocolate chip cookies

--------------------
Kat

Frustrated new
      #312974 - 08/10/07 08:58 AM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

I've tried this 3 times and one time it seemed to work but the other 2 times were disasters and I don't know what I could have done different. When I mix the 2 bowls together it is soooo dry that I usually end up with a bowl full of crumbles.
It is 1-1/4 cups of EACH flour combining for 2-1/2 cups total correct? It's like there is too much flour or not enough liquid. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW it is usually good enough to eat raw (although very tough and chewy) but when I try to bake them they are too stiff to fall and end up in the same shape cooked as they were raw (and taste unpleasant).

#312981 - 08/10/07 10:16 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Ooooh this sounds good! I'd rather use white chocolate chips. Hey, since there really isn't any chocolate in white chocolate, would it be safe?

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: Frustrated new
      #313040 - 08/11/07 07:34 PM
jen1013

Yes, it is 1.25 C flour EACH for a total of 2.5 cups. Do make sure you are measuring it correctly. Flour should be measured by lightly spooning it into the measuring cup until it overflows, and then leveling it off with a knife. If you just dip the cup into the flour bin then chances are you're getting a lot more flour than you intended. Liquid ingredients should be measured in glass measuring cups.

And don't forget the common-sense rule ... if it's too dry, then put in less of the main dry ingredient (flour in this case), and if it's too wet then put in less of the main liquid ingredient. You can always add more later but you can't take it out.

I have made these a million times and they always turn out yummy. The only modification I usually make is that I use all white flour. I am not sophisticated enough for the whole-wheat pastry flour.

Keep trying, they are well worth the effort!!

--------------------
jen

#313041 - 08/11/07 07:37 PM
jen1013

These are really good if you make them w/ white chocolate chips instead, roll each cookie into a ball, and then roll it in granulated white sugar prior to baking.

However ... nearly all white chocolate chips have milk in them. There are vegan white chocolate chips out there, but I've never used them because they were so expensive. They are also just as high in fat as regular chocolate chips, so be careful there too.

--------------------
jen

Canola Oil? new
      #313227 - 08/14/07 05:00 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi I am diyng to try these but can't have the canola oil any thing elese I could use in its place? thanks
Emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Use safflower, sunflower, or soybean oil instead. - nt- new
      #313228 - 08/14/07 05:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#313234 - 08/14/07 06:26 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Oh my...these are so amazing!! I used only half of the chocolate chips (Sam's Choice) to reduce the fat content, and they had tons of chips in each one. Whole wheat flour and I don't get along, so I left it out. Instead I used 3/4 c. of white flour and 1/2 c. of quick oats. They turned out wonderfully! I may have to fight off my hubby from eating them all, who by the way has a rock-hard stomach. My oldest son is developing my stomach, and it is so nice to have a "real" cookie for him to eat. We will be making these often!

Thank you for the great recipe!!

MeiMei

#313235 - 08/14/07 06:27 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Thanks...I just did!

Re: Frustrated new
      #313888 - 08/25/07 06:42 AM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

Well I followed your advice about spooning the flour and they were much improved meaning the dough stuck together nice and did not crumble. The consistency seemed right and I thought I had a winner but when I baked them they still did not fall properly and the centers of the cookies seemed to not be cooked. I have a thermometer in my oven so I know the temp was right. The only other thing I noticed was when I mixed the dry with the wet it was very thick and hard to stir. Maybe I didn't get this mixed enough? Am I supposed to use a mixer for any part of the process? I didn't measure the liquid in glass cups because they called for tablespoons. I used plastic tablespoons. Could that really make the difference? I really want to get these right again because I know how good they can be. Also I am using the metal mixing bowls now and a wooden spoon, is that ok? If nothing else I guess I will just try less flour next time. I'm starting to feel like an idiot here for screwing this up so many times.

Quote:

Yes, it is 1.25 C flour EACH for a total of 2.5 cups. Do make sure you are measuring it correctly. Flour should be measured by lightly spooning it into the measuring cup until it overflows, and then leveling it off with a knife. If you just dip the cup into the flour bin then chances are you're getting a lot more flour than you intended. Liquid ingredients should be measured in glass measuring cups.

And don't forget the common-sense rule ... if it's too dry, then put in less of the main dry ingredient (flour in this case), and if it's too wet then put in less of the main liquid ingredient. You can always add more later but you can't take it out.

I have made these a million times and they always turn out yummy. The only modification I usually make is that I use all white flour. I am not sophisticated enough for the whole-wheat pastry flour.

Keep trying, they are well worth the effort!!

#350236 - 09/23/09 11:10 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

This recipe rocks!! I was thoroughly convinced that there was no decent way to make non-dairy, low fat cookies, but love them. Here's the variation I made, along with nutritional analysis.

3 tbsp canola
2 1/2 tbsp corn syrup
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 C instant oats - used this instead of whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C chocolate chips
Cooking spray
1. Combine oil and syrup in a large bowl, stir well with whisk. Add sugars stir well. Stir in vanilla and eggs.
2. Combine flours, soda, and salt in another bowl. Add to sugar mixture and stir well. Mix in chocolate chips. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F
4. Drop by level tbsp 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 F for 8 min. or until almost set. Cool on pan for 2 min or until firm. Yield 44 cookies.

Each cookie contains:
64 calories, 21 calories from fat
2 grams Fat
1 gram saturated fat
11 grams carbohydrates
9 grams sugar
1 gram protein

#350251 - 09/24/09 08:16 PM

Unregistered

would these chocolate chips be safe and work well in the recipe? http://www.nutsonline.com/chocolatessweets/chocolate-wafers/carob.html

#350254 - 09/24/09 09:12 PM
frygurl

Those have partially hydrogenated oil - not good. Here are the ones I used: Chocolate Chips

#350261 - 09/25/09 07:15 AM

Unregistered

my walmart doesn't have those and there are no stores within 100miles that has it. Organic Cocoa Butter is in those,isn't that dairy? whays hygrogenated oil bad?

cocoa butter and hyrdogenated oil (aka trans fat) new
      #350266 - 09/25/09 09:07 AM
frygurl

By reading labels carefully, you should be able to find non-dairy chocolate chips at your store.

Cocoa butter has no dairy, it is a vegetable fat:
"Cocoa butter is the natural fat extracted from the cacao bean. Also known as oil of theobroma, cocoa butter is slightly yellowish in color, and while it is extracted from chocolate, it has a bland taste and only a faint chocolate smell. It is edible and is used in making white chocolate and certain confections, but has many uses beyond the kitchen."

Hydrogenated oils are trans fats:
"Unlike other dietary fats, trans fats are not essential, and they do not promote good health.[1] The consumption of trans fats increases one's risk of coronary heart disease[2] by raising levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol and lowering levels of "good" HDL cholesterol.[3] Health authorities worldwide recommend that consumption of trans fat be reduced to trace amounts. Trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils are more harmful than naturally occurring oils.[4]"

Re: cocoa butter and hyrdogenated oil (aka trans fat) new
      #350268 - 09/25/09 10:11 AM

Unregistered

could u post a link where I could buy some online..I couldn't find any in this town.

#350270 - 09/25/09 10:26 AM
frygurl

try this: http://www.naturalgrocers.com/grn_swt_dark_chocolate_chips_by_sunspire_10_oz_item_123595-p-14347.html

#350274 - 09/25/09 11:27 AM

Unregistered

is whole grain malted barley IF? also I see lots of items I want off the site such as http://www.naturalgrocers.com/fruit_spread_red_raspberry_by_st_dalfour_10_ounces_item_126473-p-8534.html but I don't see a ingredients list hey do u like my new signature?

#350285 - 09/25/09 01:02 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

If you have a kroger near by the sell the kroger brand witch is safe and thats what I use. If you look at the cheap one sin the store there should be a safe one.
hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#350505 - 10/01/09 02:04 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Ghiardelli makes a chocolate chip (dairy free, and from cocoa) that is found at most any large grocery store in bags along with the other 'no-no- chocolate chips.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#350506 - 10/01/09 02:13 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Hey Little Minnie... Keep on 'bugging' CL about writing an informational article around IBS. In fact, you might want to go ahead and submit a manuscript article for their review.

I agree with you completely that 30% (or more!) of the US population has IBS. We are a country that does not eat right, and the most of which relys on fast food or processed food. This is rather disgusting when it takes so little time and energy to eat healthy.

Have you considered writing an IBS cookbook? I personally think you would be an ideal candidate for such.

Best wishes and many blessings to you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#364108 - 03/31/11 12:59 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

This is not, safe, fat content is over 25%.

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies fat content new
      #365187 - 06/19/11 02:29 PM
Sand

Two things.

First, the calories from fat in these cookies is apparently 22%, not over 25%. One of the old comments gives that figure from the Cooking Light article:

Fat Content

Second, just because a particular food has a fat content over 25% doesn't mean we can't eat it - a good thing since that means I'd never be able to have soy ice cream.

Just eat higher fat foods like desserts in reasonable quantities (hah!) and after a high-soluble fiber, low fat meal.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68863

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review