All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Yet another chili recipe!
      #149337 - 02/12/05 04:27 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

As we've established, you can never have too many chili recipes. So here's another one.

Kree's Sweet and "Meaty" Vegetarian Chili
(Makes 4-6 servings)

A few years ago, I had the best chili I ever tasted at Earle Estates Meadery on Seneca Lake. I knew they had made it with honey, so I decided to experiment and see what I could come up with. I think this is just as fabulous, and it's so quick and easy. I bet even meat eaters would have trouble figuring out that it's made with TVP instead of beef. It's a very mild chili, so add some heat if that's the way you like it.

Ingredients:
1 cup dry textured vegetable protein (TVP)
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1/2 Tbsp chili powder (or more to taste)
1 15-oz can red beans
1 15-oz can black beans
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with green pepper, celery, and onion (Hunts)
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
1 Tbsp honey (or more to taste)
vegetable broth (or chicken broth for non-vegetarians--if needed)

Steps:
1. Combine the TVP, lukewarm water, and chili powder; allow to sit for about 10 minutes to rehydrate.
2. Rinse the beans thoroughly to cut down on the sodium content.
3. Combine the rehydrated TVP, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon, and honey in a large pot; turn heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
4. You may need to add some broth if it gets too thick.
5. Taste the chili and add more honey or spices as desired.
6. Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes, or until it's nice and warm; the time is pretty flexible since you're just heating everything up.
7. This is great served over a baked potato and sprinkled with shredded cheddar soy cheese! You can also serve it on rice or toast, or however you prefer.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yet another chili recipe! new
      #149365 - 02/12/05 05:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I will have to try this one very soon! I've been craving chili, but Adam has issues with anything even remotely hot, so he won't eat it... this one, though, just might be our answer. Thanks!

#149393 - 02/12/05 07:06 PM
Kree

No problem! This one is definitely not spicy at all, because I don't like anything remotely hot either. I hope it works out for you!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#175409 - 04/30/05 10:38 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Great, can't wait to try the chili (I used to live near Seneca Lake too!)

Seneca Lake new
      #175424 - 05/01/05 05:50 AM
Kree

That's neat, Passani. Where are you living now? The Finger Lakes are one of my favorite places to go when I visit my parents in Macedon.

--------------------

textured vegetable protein - where to purchase in Canada new
      #175430 - 05/01/05 06:20 AM
SEWRIGHT

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: ONTARIO, CANADA

Does anyone know where I would purchase TVP in Canada?

Re: Seneca Lake new
      #175483 - 05/01/05 10:20 AM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

How funny. I grew up in Livingston County, south of Rochester and my first job for the Finger Lakes Times. I lived in Seneca Falls. Ah, those IBS-free days... I still miss onion rings we used to get at a restaurant there.

Re: Seneca Lake new
      #175487 - 05/01/05 10:49 AM
Kree

Mmm, I hear you. I miss going to Scoops at the North Side of Canandaigua Lake for ice cream. I had one of my worst attacks ever after eating ice cream there before I knew what was wrong with me, though, so never again.

--------------------

Re: textured vegetable protein - where to purchase in Canada new
      #175488 - 05/01/05 10:50 AM
Kree

I don't know about Canada specifically, but I get mine at a little health food store. Most places like that tend to have it in their bulk bins. Is there anything like that near you?

--------------------

#175554 - 05/01/05 04:52 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Bulk bins generally carrry t.v.p.; "Bob Mill's" is a packaged brand of t.v.p.--most grocery stores carry it in their organic/Natural food aisles (i.e. zehrs/Loblaws, Sobeys). Boca has frozen t.v.p.--but it's flavoured a la mock meat. I'm not sure if the seasonings are an issue with you. Bulk food stores and Natural Health stores generally all carry t.v.p.

I buy Yves brand, they have it at most grocery stores -nt- new
      #175584 - 05/01/05 07:57 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

#175604 - 05/02/05 12:00 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi Kree,
I would love to try this dish but we dont get dry textured vegetable protein here. As a matter of fact there are a lot of things we dont get here i.e soy milk, rice milk, egg beaters now this dry vegetable protein. Most of the time I am trying to make things with what I get here. Besides beans dont agree with me. They give me a lot of gas. I love Heinz bake beans in tomato sauce but it has a bad effect on me. Most of the time I take chicken with little vegetables.

#175962 - 05/02/05 07:05 PM
Kree

Yep, Yves and Boca crumbles, etc. would certainly work too. In that case just eliminate the rehydration step!

--------------------

Jennifer new
      #175964 - 05/02/05 07:07 PM
Kree

I hear you, Jennifer. I'm awfully careful with my chili, too. I usually eat a small amount on a baked potato... and take Beano beforehand!!

That must be tough not being able to get so many products there. I have enough trouble here because I'm not near any major cities. I can't imagine being in a situation like yours!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 430 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15230

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review