All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sicilian Chicken
      #148280 - 02/09/05 02:52 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I got this recipe from my beloved Aunt Marion who cut it out of the Mobile, Alabama, newspaper (then the Press, now the Press Register) many, many years ago. The original called for a whole chicken and 1-1/4 pounds of tomatoes (about 4 cups). I changed the chicken to boneless, skinless breasts; reduced the tomato; added some olive oil and chicken broth to make up for the fat from the chicken; and voila.

I've got notes at the end about the red pepper and the tomato and about making this for two or six.

Sicilian Chicken
Serves 4

Herb Mix Ingredients
1 Tablespoon basil leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I use 1/4 teaspoon; I'd leave it out entirely but my DH likes it)
1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

All The Other Ingredients
Pam or other cooking spray
Potatoes - 5 Russet, 8-10 Yukon Gold, or equivalent of any kind you like
1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth OR 1/4 cup white wine (I prefer the chicken broth)
2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice (a half to a whole lemon)
1 medium tomato ( you can use more if you tolerate them well)
4 teaspoons olive oil (you can probably use less)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine all herb mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

3. Spray baking dish with Pam. The original recipe called for a 13x9x2 inch pan; I use my 10x10x1-3/4 inch Corning ware with domed lid.

4. Peel potatoes and slice about 1/8 -1/4 inch thick. Layer potatoes in bottom of baking dish.

5. Pour chicken broth or wine over potatoes. Pour lemon juice over potatoes.

6. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of herb mix over potatoes.

7. Slice tomato about 1/8 inch thick. Layer tomato over potatoes.

8. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of herb mix over tomato.

9. Get the olive oil on the chicken, about 1 teaspoon per breast. You can do this the elegant way by brushing it on or you can do it my way: Put the olive oil in a dinner plate. Take each chicken breast, lay it in the plate, swish it around a little, then turn it over and swish it around again. Lift it out and let the excess oil run off. You're basically "dredging" the chicken in the oil.

10. Lay chicken on top of tomatoes. Sprinkle the remaining herb mix evenly over the chicken pieces. Rub it in a little. (If you want, you can rub it into both sides of the chicken.)

11. Put the lid on (or cover dish with aluminum foil), put it in the oven, and bake for an hour total, basting occasionally. I bake for 30 minutes, baste, bake for 15 more minutes, baste, then bake for the final 15 minutes UNcovered.

Notes:

crushed red pepper - I actually have a spice called "Red Chile Pepper - Crushed" that I use.

tomato - If my tummy is feeling touchy, I still put the tomato in, but I scrape it off to the side of my plate, so I get the flavor but don't eat it. If my tummy is feeling really touchy, I put the tomato in but keep it all on one side of the dish - then I get the part of the dish where the tomato isn't. If you really have trouble with tomato, you could try peeling it and/or de-seeding it. I'm not sure how the dish would taste if you left it out completely.

If I'm making this for just me and my DH, I use 2 chicken breast halves (3 if I want leftover chicken) and 2 (or 3) teaspoons of olive oil, but leave the amount of the other ingredients the same. This means I have enough left over for a nice lunch for 2. I put the leftovers in a pot, add a little more chicken broth, and heat it up over a low flame. (I don't own a microwave.) If I made the extra chicken breast, I chop that into little pieces before I heat it up.

When I made this for 6 once, I used 6 chicken breast halves and 6 teaspoons of olive oil and doubled everything else.

Here's the Fat Math. For packaged stuff like the chicken broth, I used the values from the packages. For fresh stuff, like the chicken, I used the values from "The Complete Book of Food Counts" by Corinne T. Netzer. I'm including the breakdown here because I still don't feel totally comfortable doing the math.

Fat Math: 18% of calories from fat

Total recipe: 1180 calories, 210 from fat
Per serving: 295 calories, 53 from fat

No calories and no fat from the herb mix.
No calories and no fat from the Pam.
Potatoes: 285 calories, 5 from fat
Chicken broth: 3 calories, 0 from fat
Lemon juice: 12 calories, 0 from fat
Tomato: 24 calories, 3 from fat
Olive oil: 160 calories, 160 from fat
Chicken: 696 calories, 42 from fat (assuming each breast is about 4 ounces)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sicilian Chicken new
      #148340 - 02/09/05 05:41 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Wow, Sand, I can't wait to try this! There's nothing like old family recipes. I think I'll try half broth and half wine.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Sounds good new
      #148345 - 02/09/05 05:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

but LOL my DH could eat 3 breasts in one meal so serves 4 means serves 2 at our house.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Sicilian Chicken new
      #149536 - 02/13/05 09:50 AM
Sand

I hate to admit it, but I don't think my aunt ever actually made this recipe. Like me, she was an inveterate recipe-clipper, but cooking - not so much.
I've made it a lot since finding Heather's diet guidelines, though, so perhaps we could still classify it as an old family recipe.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

This is really good (m) new
      #286491 - 10/14/06 03:20 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I had to leave out the tomato -- not sure what this does to the taste, but it was excellent without it. I also left out the lemon juice and the olive oil. I also made this in the crock pot. I layered the sliced potatoes on the bottom, splashed some white wine over it, added 1/2 can chicken broth (approx 1 cup) I had sitting in the refrigerator, and added water (maybe 1-2 cups?) until it just barely covered the potatoes. I sprinkled some of the herb mix over it, spread out the chicken on top (the chicken was NOT submerged in liquid) and sprinkled the rest of the herb mix over it. I cooked it on high for two hours and then turned it to low for about four hours more -- so I'd say high for around four hours or low for eight. The potatoes ended up mushy, but that's how I wanted them -- if you like firmer potatoes, I'd slice them thicker (mine were around 1/4 inch thick) or cook it for less time. Most of the liquid does end up cooking away, so you're not left with soup.

Thanks for the recipe, Sand!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

You're welcome. I'm so glad you liked it. -nt- new
      #286493 - 10/14/06 03:55 PM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3907

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review