All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cookbook ideas?
      #124866 - 11/23/04 09:55 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

My mom and my 15-year-old brother were both diagnosed with IBS in the past year, and even though my mom has both of Heather's books, I thought it'd be nice if I made my mom an IBS cookbook from recipes off the boards for Christmas. She doesn't eat turkey or chicken, just fish, and she's on a GF diet. Anybody have some suggestions for good recipes to include?

Thanks

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cookbook ideas? new
      #124962 - 11/23/04 01:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Great idea for your mom. I made a cookbook as a gift once- got totally ripped off at Kinkos. Anyway I will look through my fish recipes and post something. Give me a day or 2 but I will try not to forget. Bump this one if necessary so people respond!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Some seafood recipes new
      #125322 - 11/24/04 04:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Rice is GF right?
salmon with leeks and tomatoes
fish in paper parcels
whole trout
sushi roll salad

*Coconut Jasmine Rice with Shrimp*

5 stalks lemon grass, soft part thinly sliced or one lime's zest, minced
1 or 2 packages precooked frozen shrimp, thawed and tails removed
1T. minced fresh ginger
1 1/2c. jasmine or basmati rice, can be rinsed, but I never do
1c. water need 2 3/4c total liquid -1/2 can light coconut milk and the rest water would be fine- the milk can be skimmed of the top fatty part if you do not shake it first
1 can well-shaken lite coconut milk
1/2t. salt or 1T. soy sauce (soy sauce will make the rice an ugly brown)
2 fresh chilies (preferably red serrano) minced and seeded if desired
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 lime's juice or more to taste
peanuts for topping
flaked coconut for topping (optional)

Add rice, water, milk, salt, peppers, lemon grass or lime zest, and ginger to a stockpot with a tight fitting lid. Bring to boil, boil 1 minute. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 15 minutes. Add shrimp and scallions, put lid back on and simmer for five more minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Top with peanuts and coconut flakes. Sprinkle with lime juice.

*Joe's Ginger Salmon*

1 large salmon fillet (about 1 1/4-1/2#), skin pulled/cut off
2T. brown sugar
3T. soy sauce
2T. white wine
2T. lemon juice
1t. garlic, minced
1t. grated ginger
1/2t. red pepper sauce, such as Frank's red hot
1/4c. minced onion

Heat a large skillet with oil spray, add salmon, top side down/skin side up (can cover for faster cooking). Cook about 3 minutes on that side or until nicely browned. Combine remaining ingredients. Turn fish over and add sauce mixture. Cook until it is just light pink on the inside, not any longer. Be careful of splattering sauce while cooking.

Another idea would be Pad Thai with shrimp

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 421 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review