All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tamara's cream of asparagus and leek soup
      #123417 - 11/18/04 07:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

This one is a classic in our house. Hubby loves it and it is the only meatless meal he will eat. It started out being called "freezer soup" because I made it up when I had frozen leeks, asparagus and chicken stock to use up. It also freezes well after you make it too. You can put some in a tupperware and take it out when the weather turns cold. Anyway it is good for a meal with a baguette but is also a very elegant first course.

Cream of Leek and Asparagus Soup
quite a bit of minced garlic
2T safe margarine
3 leeks coarsely chopped and washed well (can be fresh or frozen- use green and white parts)
bunch of asparagus, very coarsely chopped- turns into maybe 3 cups? (can be frsh or frozen)
1 large bouquet garni- take fresh herbs and tie together really good with kitchen string. I use rosemary, thyme, parsley, basil, chives. It is intregal to the recipe but you can use the ones you want.
2 1/4- 1/2 cans chicken or veg broth
4T flour
kosher salt and cracked black pepper

In a stock pot melt margarine and add garlic and leeks. Saute for maybe 10 minutes and add asparagus, also add salt and pepper generously and the bouquet garni. Cook for 10-15 minutes so the flavors really start to come together. Add the flour and stir a couple minutes. Add the broth and stir a minute or so. Put on cover and turn down heat and let it simmer gently for about an hour. Stir occassionally. Do not worry about the flour cementing the soup- for some reason it doesn't.
Remove the herbs and place the soup in a blender in 2 batches- or use a stick blender if you have one. Blend really well to get rid of the leek fibers. Adjust seasoning. Classically I added some whipping cream at the end and it of course does make it good but it is quite "creamy" without it. A tablespoon of soy creamer is ok but not necessary. Cooked cubed potatoes can be added but I think they take away from the flavor. The soup turns out very creamy- almost frothy and it has a gourmet taste. A tomato peel curl or something would be a pretty garnish.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yum! That sounds good! new
      #123538 - 11/19/04 06:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I love asparagus.

Me too new
      #123602 - 11/19/04 08:33 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Except the after effects!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review