All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
TessLouise, Can You Please Help?
      #12227 - 06/21/03 09:03 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I took this recipe from May's Cooking Light as a request from LisafromLA. I haven't made it yet, but it looks like some salads I've had before. It just needs a little help, and I was hoping to hear some advice from you when you get a chance. I've made a few notes already. I'd like to test out the finished version before it goes into the Official Recipe Index.

And check out the SODIUM content at the bottom! I presume that's from the bottled red peppers and marinated artichoke hearts. That's definitely gotta go.

sperry_twiggins

Spelt Salad

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup

Dressing:
2 T chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 T vegetable broth
1 ½ T extravirgin olive oil (or canola, I presume)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T Dijon mustard
½ t salt
¼ t black pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed

Salad:
1 ¼ c uncooked spelt (farro), rinsed and drained
1 ½ c vegetable broth
1 c water
1 c cut green beans
¾ c ¼" sliced carrots
½ c frozen green peas, thawed
½ c frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed (Most of us will leave out this ingredient)
½ c marinated artichoke hearts, drained & chopped (I would use non-marinated frozen, thawed)
¼ c pitted ripe olives
¼ c pitted green olives
1 (7 oz) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped

1. To prepare dressing, combine the first 9 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
2. To prepare salad, combine spelt, 1 ½ cups broth, and 1 cup water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 min.
3. While the spelt is cooking, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan, and add green beans and sliced carrots. Cook until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into cold water. Drain again. Combine spelt, green beans, carrots, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing, and toss well to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup). Serve chilled or at room temperature. Make a day ahead to let the flavors blend and bloom.

Calories: 234 (29% from fat); FAT 7.6g (sat 0.7g mono 3.7g, poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 7.8g; CARB 40.5g; FIBER 9.4g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 2.8mg; SODIUM 837mg; CALC 41mg.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: TessLouise, Can You Please Help? new
      #12229 - 06/21/03 09:21 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

It actually needs very few changes to be made IBS-safe. Let's see...do use extra-virgin olive oil--it's there for flavor--canola would be TOO bland. The green beans, carrots, and peas would all need to be well-cooked, and you're right, most of us wouldn't be able to tolerate the corn at all. Using non-marinate artichoke hearts (canned or frozen) would cut down on the fat content if not the sodium--or you could marinate them yourself with very little oil--I have a recipe if you're interested (let me know). Ditto for the roasted peppers--you could make them yourself and they'd be fat-free (let me know if you want a recipe). Otherwise, the salad looks pretty decent, with a soluble fiber base and lots of strong, interesting flavors. Good luck!

Re: TessLouise, Can You Please Help? new
      #12230 - 06/21/03 11:53 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Thanks! I'll test it out this week and re-post with changes.

sperry_twiggins

Re: Marinated Artichoke Recipe new
      #12235 - 06/21/03 02:08 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Can you please post your recipe for the marinated artichokes? I stopped using them because of the fat, but the non-marinated sometimes taste too plain in certain recipes. The best I've had with plain is your chicken with artichokes.

Thanks!

Re: Marinated Artichoke Recipe new
      #12243 - 06/21/03 04:54 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Marinated Artichoke Hearts from _Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine_

13 3/4-ounce can artichoke hearts packed in water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons oil (at least part olive preferred)
3/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper

Drain artichokes, rinse, and cut in quarters. Pour lemon juice and oil over artichokes. Add seasonings and mix well. Taste and adjust salt if necessary. Let stand at room temperature for use within several hours, or refrigerate. Stir occasionally for even marination. Serves 4.

Re: Thanks! -nt- new
      #12251 - 06/21/03 07:07 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8587

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review