All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
super simple side dish
      #116492 - 10/27/04 05:39 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

This recipe is from the cookbook I made for my sister-in-law's bridal shower.

*Potatoes, Snap Peas and Mushrooms*

This side dish is a great standby. I made it up a long time ago and have made it many times since. There is no formal recipe, it is very versatile. In a 2 quart covered casserole add a few red potatoes, cut into halves or quarters depending on size, peeled or unpeeled, 1-2T. margarine, pinch of pepper and a generous amount of salt. Bake at whatever temperature your oven is at or 400º until the potatoes are piercable but not soft (about 45 minutes). Add 1-1 1/2 c. snap peas (or a bunch of asparagus, cut into thirds) and a package of crimini mushrooms, quartered or halved. Stir. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or so, depending on how hot the oven is. The peas and mushrooms will cook at the same rate, when the peas are tender everything should be done just right and there will be a sort of gravy from the mushroom liquid that gets thickened by the potato starch. I like to serve this with a roasted whole chicken and rolls. If it gets done too fast it can sit for a long time while the chicken cooks or if it is not done fast enough, put it in the microwave.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: super simple side dish new
      #216217 - 09/27/05 07:02 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Quote:

there will be a sort of gravy from the mushroom liquid that gets thickened by the potato starch

Where did you add potato starch? How many servings does this make? Are the peas fresh or frozen?

Did you use regular size red potatoes or the B size? And how many did you use? Do you personally like it better with peeled potatoes or unpeeled?

This sounds really, really, really good! But I'm not good with estimates.

Re: super simple side dish new
      #216233 - 09/27/05 08:33 PM
Little Minnie

I am sorry my recipes are rather Jamie Oliver-esque and vague. The potato starch is in the potatoes. They will naturally thicken the liquid that comes out of the mushrooms. I have had this peeled and unpeeled and both are fine. It depends on the thickness of the potato peels. You can use fresh or frozen pea pods as they will cook at the same rate. It doesn't matter what size potatoes you use since they are cut in chunks. Either red or russet types are fine (that is not usually said with most recipes). I will now post the measured out recipe which I have formulated to send to a recipe contest. This should help!
makes 2 small servings
8oz any kind of potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks, peeled or unpeeled
1/4t salt, or to taste
1/8t pepper
2t. margarine, cut into pieces
4oz snap peas, trimmed
4oz cremini mushrooms (baby Portobello)

Preheat oven to 400 (if using oven). In a small casserole, mix potatoes with salt, pepper and margarine. Bake for 25 minutes or until just piercable, stirring once. Stir in snap peas and whole mushrooms and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until peas are as tender as you like them, stirring once. If using microwave, cook potatoes about 6 minutes, or until almost tender and cook an additional 4 minutes after adding vegetables.

On second thought I think red or yukon gold or something along that line would be better than russet types.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Edited by Little Minnie (09/27/05 08:46 PM)

Perfect! new
      #216253 - 09/28/05 06:35 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Thanks Little Minnie. I had a feeling you were referring to the starch from the potatoes themselves, but wanted to make sure.

The frozen peas really cook as quickly as the fresh?

This one is on my list of foods to try. Now...what to serve it with! I'll probably just do baked chicken breast.

frozen and fresh new
      #216412 - 09/28/05 05:04 PM
Little Minnie

In general frozen and fresh cook at the same rate because the freezing process breaks the plant cell walls down and they are softer once defrosted and cooking. And fresh is crispier and that takes time to cook.
I like roasting a chicken with this or maybe turkey breast.

--------------------

Is this 2 Tablespoons or 2 teaspoons of margarine? new
      #216872 - 10/01/05 10:27 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

And one other question. Do you need to cover this? In the first post you said to cover, but not it this one. I don't think I have a cover for my dish so would that cause a problem?

thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Is this 2 Tablespoons or 2 teaspoons of margarine? new
      #216875 - 10/01/05 11:23 AM
Little Minnie

I used to always put 2 Tablespoons for a large dish but I think you can get away with less. I do cover it the whole time. I should have written that in there.

--------------------

Do you think this would work with Snow peas instead? new
      #229090 - 12/03/05 07:11 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I know Snap peas are thicker, so maybe the snow peas wouldn't substitute properly.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Do you think this would work with Snow peas instead? new
      #229251 - 12/04/05 06:13 PM
Little Minnie

They cook in the same amount of time but snap peas are so much sweeter and yummier. I bought a bag of "sugar peas" on Thursday and found out when I opened it that it was snow peas and I was so disappointed.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4919

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review