Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For Heather Special 21st Birthday cake
      #1161 - 02/20/03 03:06 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

Heather,

My daughter turns 21 in May and she has IBS as well. I am really looking for a wonderful cake I can make for her that we both can eat! I want something special. Do you have any ideas? We both love chocolate. I have tried the cake you have in the book but I can never get it right.
Thanks
Trish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Heather Special 21st Birthday cake new
      #1162 - 02/20/03 03:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, my standard party cake is always the Peppermint Fudge Cake. I wait till it cools, dust it with powdered sugar, then sprinkle red rose petals over the cake and serving platter. Looks beautiful, takes 10 seconds.

I'm guessing there are some glitches in the recipe for you because you're in Australia. The measuring cups/spoons are slightly different than those in the US, so the quantities aren't exactly the same. In baking this can make a significant difference. If you can tell me how things are coming out wrong I might have some ideas for fixing this. How stiff or thin is the batter? Does it pour or do you have to spread it? Is it not baking up high enough or is the texture off? Is your baking soda fresh? Do you have cornstarch available?

I also love love love the chocolate pecan fallen souffle cake. This is a totally different type of recipe than the peppermint fudge so you might not have problems here. It's very dense, fudgy, and rich - tastes like one of those "death by chocolate" cakes. You can do the same red rose petal trick and it be lovely.

If you're going to be serving the cake to a crowd, you can try this: Take an angel food cake and when it's cool, very carefully (use a serrated knife) slice it in half or even into thirds horizontally. Take a big bowl of fresh strawberries (it's summertime for you, right?) and chop them up and lightly mash with a fork, sprinkle with a little white sugar, and a little orange liqueur or rum. Taste to see if it's sweet enough/rummy enough. Let the fruit sit about an hour - a lot of juice will be released. Then use the berry mixture as a filling between the cake layers and on top. You have to serve the cake right away or things will get mushy, but it's really beautiful and delicious and looks very festive too. You can even make the angel food cake chocolate by adding cocoa powder to the recipe or the boxed cake mix. Found a recipe for this at http://www.cakerecipe.com/az/ChocolateAngelFoodCak.asp

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1168 - 02/20/03 05:39 PM
Trish

The cake had to be spread, it was very thick and when it was cooked it came out very dry and brittle. I have some american measurements, I will try them. Cornstarch is cornflour right?

#1169 - 02/20/03 05:42 PM
Trish

Trish here again! Can you give me measurements for metric for cup sizes and spoon sizes, I think I lost my other measurements I had from the states. Also, is it possible in your next book to include metric measures for us others?

#1172 - 02/20/03 07:09 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Trish, best of luck till Heather can get back with you, but I can answer one of your questions: cornstarch here in the States is your cornflour, yes. As I said, best of luck.

#1176 - 02/20/03 10:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - The corn flour I've seen in US markets is not the same as cornstarch, which is a pure white starch thickener. You could use arrowroot in its place, or omit the cornstarch altogether.

The cake is so high in applesauce, which makes it very moist and fudgy, that I can't figure how it could come out dry and brittle. I'd definitely try the American measuring cups/spoons if you have them. Also make sure your oven is at 325F or the metric equivalent.

I'll keep thinking about this...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4013

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review