All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Gifts in a Jar (or mixes to keep in your pantry)
      #115553 - 10/25/04 07:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I have a cookbook called Gifts in a Jar, full of recipes for mixes for gift-giving. A number of them are IBS-friendly, so I thought I'd post them - not only are they great for giving around the holidays, but they're nice to keep on hand in your pantry/cabinets for meals that don't require a lot of thought!

As always, keep your individual tolerances in mind when trying any of these - what's safe for one person isn't necessarily safe for another. These have all been fine for me, but if you're very sensitive to MSG, you might want to skip them.

----------------------------------------------------------

Pleasing Pasta Soup Mix

1 3/4 cups small shell macaroni
3/4 cup dried lentils
3/4 cup dried chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup soy parmesan
3 1/2 tbsp dried minced onion
3 1/2 tbsp chicken bouillon granules
1 tbsp + 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Layer ingredients in order given in a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient. Don't forget to attach cooking directions!

Cooking directions: Place 10 1/2 cups water in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Add the soup mix and, if desired, 1 can chicken breast, drained. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.

Apple Cinnamon Pancake Mix

3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp cinnamon
2 1/4 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup dried apple pieces

Mix all ingredients until well blended and place in wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Don't forget to attach a tag with the cooking directions!

Cooking directions (to make 5 servings/10 pancakes): In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 cup soy milk, 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup EggBeaters, and 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Whisk in 1 1/3 cups pancake mix until moistened but still lumpy. Heat a griddle or frying pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Pour batter by 1/4-cupfuls onto the prepared griddle. Cook on both sides until golden brown, flipping when the surface begins to bubble.

Chicken Rice Soup Mix

3 cups rice
3/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
2 tbsp dried tarragon
2 tbsp dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp pepper

Layer ingredients in order given in a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient. Don't forget to attach cooking directions!

Cooking directions: In a large soup pot, bring 18 cups of water, 1 tbsp margarine, and soup mix to a boil. Reduce heat, add 1 can chicken or 1 cup diced cooked chicken, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.

Tuna Noodle Casserole Mix
(this is one of my favorites!)

1 (1.4oz) pkg Knorr Vegetable Soup mix
1/2 cup instant dry soy milk
2 1/2 cups egg noodles

Cooking directions: In a medium skillet, combine the casserole mix and 2 1/2 cups water. Over medium-high heat, heat to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and cook until noodles are tender, stirring often. Add 1 (6-oz) can tuna, drained, and heat through. Stir in soy parmesan to taste, up to 3/4 cup.

(Note: 3/4 cup parmesan was part of the original mix; I find it cooks better without it, so I add it at the end. I also decrease it down to about 1/4 cup, or it's too salty for me.)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Turkey Bow Tie Skillet Mix

2 tbsp dried celery flakes
3 tbsp dried minced onion
1/4 tsp dried minced garlic
1 tbsp chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp garlic salt
3 cups bow tie pasta

Topping packet:
3 tbsp soy Parmesan
1 tsp dried parsley flakes

Layer ingredients in order given in a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient. Mix and place the toppings in a small plastic bag. Don't forget to attach cooking directions!

Cooking directions: In a large skillet, brown 1 lb ground turkey. Remove turkey and keep warm. Add 3 cups water to the skillet, bring to a boil. Remove baggie from jar and add the rest of the mix to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is just tender. Reduce heat and stir in 1 (14.5-oz) can stewed tomatoes and the turkey. Simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with topping and stir.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gifts in a Jar (or mixes to keep in your pantry) new
      #115572 - 10/25/04 08:11 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Casey,
Love your recipes!! Tried the pizza crust bisquick this weekend. Good crust but can't get past the vegan cheese! Not to tasty. Any other suggestions? I will probably try rice cheese next. Thanks again for your recipes! Keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!

LOL
Angela E.

#115585 - 10/25/04 08:33 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh, these are wonderful.... will make great gifts to send home to Shane's family this year!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

LOL! new
      #115589 - 10/25/04 08:51 AM
atomic rose

How about Pizza with Chicken, Scallions, & Barbecue Sauce? Really, you can put anything on a pizza. One of the best pizzas I ever had just had loads of veggies and no cheese, just the parmesan I sprinkled over the top (and soy parmesan actually tastes like dairy parmesan, at least to me).

I've never tried the rice cheese... good luck!

#115668 - 10/25/04 11:39 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Thanks for sharing these Casey!!! They're terrific!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Pizza new
      #115672 - 10/25/04 11:46 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I had a great pizza for lunch in a restaurant the other day it was a four seasons- Artichoke, mushrooms, peppers and chicken (I subbed chicken for ham) the sauce seemed to be only fresh pureed tomatoes with fresh basil and some black pepper. This pizza would have been smothered by cheese,thought I would share the mix in case anyone is trying to figure out yummy cheeseless pizza concoctions!

CAUTION- AVOID pizza hut for cheeseless pizza, their bases are tasteless and the sauce tastes really sweet.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#116215 - 10/27/04 05:40 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

Casey,
Thanks these are great. I'm printing out for future reference. I have some receipes for cakes in a jar, I'll look them up and post maybe someone would be interested in those..
Thanks
again
Casey

Terry

Yes! new
      #116220 - 10/27/04 06:13 AM
atomic rose

Terry, I'd be very interested in those. I don't know if they're IBS-safe or can even be modified to be so, but at the very least, they'd be nice for sticking in gift baskets. Thanks!

Angela E. new
      #116352 - 10/27/04 12:39 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Angela,

Just wanted to encourage you to try different brands of soy cheese. I have had some that are just aweful. The kind I have found that I like best for pizza is a shredded blend made by Soy Station - it is sold at Trader Joes.

Good look on your quest,
Leigh

Re: Pizza new
      #116411 - 10/27/04 02:07 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Papa Johns makes a pretty decent cheeseless pizza, and the one near my University is really nice about making them. I wonder if that's because I'm an officer in three clubs that all serve pizza for dinner once a week ! It's not exactly like you'd imagine pizza, but with the right toppings (I usually do some mix of veggies) it can be pretty tasty.

Meg

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 681 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11796

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review