All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Applesauce Cookies??
      #115529 - 10/25/04 06:04 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

Does anyone have a recipe for Applesauce Cookies?? The recipes I am finding on the web have either shortening or whole wheat flour. thanks Anne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Applesauce Cookies?? new
      #115535 - 10/25/04 06:55 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If nobody comes through with a recipe for you, I would take one of the recipes that contains whole wheat flour, and just substitute unbleached white flour instead. I substitute like that all the time in other baking... I'm thinking it would work fine in cookies, too.

Whole wheat flour new
      #115699 - 10/25/04 01:18 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Anne, you can just use all purpose flour in place of the whole wheat flour in any of the recipes you find! I've done that with cookies, breads, etc. many times and it always works out fine!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#115834 - 10/25/04 07:29 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I have substituted applesauce for shortening before in breads and muffins and cakes and they turn out fine. I am not sure of the amounts. My sister does weight watchers (she is not a IBSer) but her books have the amounts to substitute shortning, oil and applesauce. Fembeth

#115854 - 10/25/04 10:01 PM
atomic rose

Applesauce substitution usually doesn't work for cookies, because it drastically alters the texture of the finished product. But in applesauce cookies, I wonder if it would matter... hmm...

#116074 - 10/26/04 03:33 PM
shelley29

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Northeast, USA

Hi... just found this recipe & modified it a bit. I haven't had it, but thought you might want to give it a try. Happy baking!!!
Applesauce Cookies Recipe
3 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
1 1/4 teaspoons ginger ground
1 1/4 teaspoons allspice ground
1 1/4 teaspoons cloves ground
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
1 cup soy butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup corn syrup dark
1 egg large (eggbeaters!!!)

In a small bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl at medium speed, beat brown sugar and soy butter until fluffy. Beat in applesauce, corn syrup, and eggbeaters. On low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture. Divide dough into four portions. Cover and chill several hours until firm enough to roll.

Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of the dough at a time into a 1/4 -inch thick circle. Cut with floured cutters. Place on greased baking sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes for soft cookies, 12 to 14 minutes for crispy cookies. Cool on wire racks.

--------------------
-shelley
take it one day at a time.

#116084 - 10/26/04 03:52 PM
atomic rose

It sounds good... but unfortunately, with a cup of soy margarine, the fat content of the recipe is too high to be safe for us. And even more unfortunately, there's no way to substitute in cookie recipes without drastically altering the texture. I know - phooey!

How about this one? It's super low fat! new
      #116095 - 10/26/04 04:51 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies

3 c. oatmeal
1 c. flour
1 t. soda
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 c. sugar (or less)
1 t. vanilla
2/3 c. raisins or dried apples or dried cranberries

Combine the first four ingredients. Mix up the next 3 ingredients and add them to the dry ingredients. Stir in the dried fruit. Roll in small balls and smash to 1/4 " thickness on the cookie sheet. Bake at 275 degrees for 22-25 minutes.

Makes about 50 cookies with only .3 grams of fat each.

From fatfree.com

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#116131 - 10/26/04 06:31 PM
shelley29

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Northeast, USA

Wow... I didn't realize that soy margerine could be unsafe... I still have a lot to learn. I thank you for your input!!!

--------------------
-shelley
take it one day at a time.

No worries! new
      #116247 - 10/27/04 08:32 AM
atomic rose

Soy margarine is safer for us than butter, because it's non-dairy. But it's got the same fat content - somewhere around 11g per tablespoon - so although it can be substituted in baking, it isn't the perfect solution for cookie recipes. (I know... darn it!)

Anyway... it's a common mistake. When I first started making some of my old recipes "safe", I had the same thought about my cookie recipes and soy margarine, but alas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6454

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review