All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Scones and butter what to use as a substitute
      #114067 - 10/19/04 11:20 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I am dying for scones, regular plain ones with currants. I have searched the recipe index and didn't really see one I liked. I have a recipe I like it just called for butter. I don't really want to use margarine, how&what it is made of scares me! I like to bake from scratch so boxed items like bisquick are out. So now that I have listed all of my rules, can anyone help?
Quote:

In most recipes I substitute canola oil (or olive oil) for butter or margarine. The only place this won't work is in baking pastries, drop cookies, scones, biscuits, etc. where you get a flaky/tender/chewy texture from solid fat. For quick breads and cakes and such canola oil works great, as does using fruit purees like applesauce to replace about 2/3 of the fat called for.

I did find this info from one of Heather's posts. And I very well could have missed a post about substituing butter in a recipe, if I did just tell me where to go!
Thanks!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scones and butter what to use as a substitute new
      #114069 - 10/19/04 11:27 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think scones will be a tough one to make taste good. I have been craving chocolate chip cookies lately but the good fatty ones! I have some low fat recipes for scones here and there so I will look through them but they won't be like those buttery ones at the coffee shop. Yum but bad!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks! Oh, the buttery one-nt- new
      #114070 - 10/19/04 11:28 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

--------------------
IBS-D

#114138 - 10/19/04 03:01 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I don't know what you'll think about these, but I revamped my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe to fit this diet (as best as I could.) They work for me. They taste ok and my gut doesn't clench every time I eat one.

1/4 c. apple sauce
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. egg beater (or two egg whites)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. confectioner's sugar
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

1.mix in a bowl and then add about 1/2 c. chocolate chips (or a whole cup if you're a chocohaulic like me)

drop by tablespoon onto a cookies sheet about two inches apart

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes (depending on your oven you may need 12 minutes)

Makes about a dozen

Enjoy!
Chany

#114743 - 10/21/04 04:50 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Soy gardens buttery spread is a good substitute but it still has the fat in it so you don't want to use too much. I substitute it the same way I would with the oil. I used the soy garden for cookies and it works great. Do a search on that and you should be able to find some information and even a website link.

here's some from cooking light new
      #114751 - 10/21/04 05:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Buttermilk-Apricot Scones

Delicate scones are best served one way--hot. The wedges that taste heavenly just minutes out of the oven often seem dry and less flavorful after they cool.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup chilled stick margarine, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/4 cup apricot nectar
Vegetable cooking spray
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients; cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add apricots; toss well. Combine egg, buttermilk, and nectar; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. (Dough will be sticky.)
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; with floured hands, knead 4 or 5 times. Pat dough into a 9-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 12 wedges, cutting to but not through bottom of dough. Brush with egg white, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve hot.

Yield: 1 dozen (serving size: 1 scone)

CALORIES 149 (27% from fat); FAT 4.5g (satfat 0.9g, monofat 0.0g, polyfat 0.0g); PROTEIN 3.2g; CARBOHYDRATE 24g; FIBER 0.7g; CHOLESTEROL 18mg; IRON 1.2mg; SODIUM 184mg; CALCIUM 46mg;

Cranberry Scones

Scones are best served soon after baking.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup halved fresh cranberries
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cranberries, tossing to coat.

Combine buttermilk, rind, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 5 times with floured hands. Pat dough into a 7-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut the dough into 10 wedges, cutting into but not completely through dough. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden. Sift powdered sugar over scones; serve warm.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 scone)

CALORIES 168 (17% from fat); FAT 3.2g (satfat 1.7g, monofat 0.9g, polyfat 0.3g); PROTEIN 3.7g; CARBOHYDRATE 31.2g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOLESTEROL 28mg; IRON 1.4mg; SODIUM 231mg; CALCIUM 75mg;
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2002

Strawberry Yogurt Scones

Scones are similar to biscuits, but these have a wet, sticky dough. Serve fresh from the oven with hot tea.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup diced strawberries
2/3 cup strawberry fat-free yogurt
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons sugar

Preheat oven to 400°.
Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine strawberries, yogurt, butter, rind, and egg white; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Pat into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut into 12 wedges, cutting into but not through dough; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yield: 12 scones (serving size: 1 scone)

CALORIES 152 (20% from fat); FAT 3.3g (satfat 1.9g, monofat 0.9g, polyfat 0.3g); PROTEIN 3.6g; CARBOHYDRATE 27.7g; FIBER 1.5g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 227mg; CALCIUM 78mg;
Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2002

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Kree's Cranberry Maple Scones are great! new
      #115120 - 10/22/04 10:56 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I copied and pasted a recipe from Kree from many months back. I usually make them about once a month and freeze them in individual ziploc baggies. They're great warmed up in the microwave or just on the go.

The only thing I do different is use almond meal instead of the chopped walnuts.

Cranberry Maple Nut Scones
(Makes 8 scones)

These scones are a snap to make and taste great with peppermint tea!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups Reduced Fat Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoons soy milk
1/4 cup Egg Beaters or 2 egg whites

Maple Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons soy milk
1 teaspoon maple syrup

1. Heat oven to 425ºF.
2. Lightly spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Mix all ingredients except Maple Glaze until soft dough forms.
4. Turn dough onto surface dusted with Bisquick; roll in Bisquick to coat.
5. Shape into ball; knead 10 times.
6. Pat dough into 8-inch circle on cookie sheet (if dough is sticky, dip fingers in Bisquick).
7. Cut into 8 wedges but do not separate.
8. Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until golden brown (I find I need at least 13 minutes in my oven or the insides are still gooey).
9. Carefully separate wedges.
10. To make glaze, beat all glaze ingredients until smooth.
11. Drizzle scones with glaze.
12. Serve warm.

Adapted from a Bisquick recipe.

#364107 - 03/31/11 12:59 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

This is not, safe, fat content is over 25%.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 424 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15286

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review