All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Apples
      #110429 - 10/04/04 05:57 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

This is heavily modified from a Martha Stewart recipe. The original called for a godawful lot of butter and cream, NONE of which you could taste in the finished product. This serves 8-10. It seems involved, but it moves along pretty quickly.

6 sweet potatoes, about 4 lbs.
1 tsp salt
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp soy margarine
6 tbsp soy milk
6 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup orange juice

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Bake potatoes until soft, 40-45 minutes. Or, do what I do and microwave them - prick with a fork, 5 minutes on high, turn, another 5 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and place flesh in a medium bowl; add salt, and mash with a fork.

Meanwhile, slice apples into 1/8" thick wedges and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, toss to coat. In a large skillet, melt the margarine. Add 2 tbsp brown sugar and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Add the apples and cook until golden and caramelized, about 1 minute on each side. (You might have to do this in batches.) Transfer to a plate and set aside.

In the same skillet, add 2 tbsp brown sugar, 4 tbsp soy milk, and the brandy. Cook until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add to sweet potatoes, mixing well to combine. Transfer potato mixture to 3-quart casserole dish that's been sprayed with cooking spray. Arrange apple slices over top.

In same skillet, combine 2 tbsp brown sugar and 2 tbsp soy milk, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in orange juice and cook for 1-2 minutes, until slightly thickened. Pour over apples, cover casserole with aluminum foil.

Bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Apples new
      #123626 - 11/19/04 09:12 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

This recipe looks delicious! Have you tried it, Casey? I'm looking for a yummy sweet potato cassarole recipe to bring to my dad's house for Thanksgiving and my sister's house the following weekend.

Do you think you could sprinkle marshmallows on top when they bake or would it make it too sweet?

--------------------
- Jennifer

#123644 - 11/19/04 09:48 AM
atomic rose

Well... I have to admit that the version I had was the original, loaded with cream and butter (this was a couple years ago). It was *delicious*. However, you really couldn't taste the butter, and the cream was more for texture than anything else, so the substitutions should work just fine.

Hmm, I don't know about marshmallows on top. Might make it too sweet, yeah.

#123684 - 11/19/04 11:11 AM
Jennifer Rose

Hmm.. I am test cooking a couple recipes tonight (I'm buying a whole lot of sweet potatoes) so I will have to try half of it with marshmallows and half without!

I love sweet potatoes so I want to find a recipe that I can start making on a regular basis.

Thanks for the advice, Casey!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#124126 - 11/20/04 04:40 PM
Jennifer Rose

Previous to this recipe, I had no knowledge of how to cook a sweet potato, or the difference between a sweet potato and a yam. Needless to say, this recipe was very educational and has broaded my horizon in cooking.

First, let me show you the finished product and let you know how I got there.

Ooooh... aaaahh... (I'm very proud of how cute it turned out! )

Now for my entertaining story.

I started out buying 4 1/2 lbs of sweet potatoes. I popped those babies in the microwave after poking holes and went to work on the apples. The apples took a tremendous long time since I did not have the correct peeler or corer, but turned out really good. The sweet potatoes did not do as well.

Aparently they don't like my microwave or I bought defective potatoes, but only half was cooked! So after halfway peeling them (with a vegetable peeler.. big mistake), I realized my problem and stuck them back in the microwave. Also a big mistake.

They turned out so dry that I ended up throwing them and the cooked apples away. Decided I'd start again in the morning.

I woke up in the morning and turned on the food network (because my TV isn't on anything else!), and Emirl had just started to get his baked sweet potatoes out of the oven and peel them!! I started yelling at my TV so loud because I hadn't seen this last night, that poor Mike came rushing to see what was the matter.

So I learned how to cook and peel the potatoes from Emirl and decided to try again. Went to the supermarket without even getting dressed and picked up some more sweet potatoes and yams.

I went to the Food Network website to see written instructions and discovered that there are sweet potatoes and yams, that are really sweet potatoes but us Americans call them yams. I realized I had bought the wrong sweet potatoes and that the yams would have been sweeter and orange. I decided to just go ahead and do it anyways.

The casserole turned out SOOOOOOO yummy! And I love how the decoration I did at the top turned out. Even though they didn't taste as sweet as yams, they still tasted good.

So there's my story for all those who want a laugh.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#124144 - 11/20/04 05:05 PM
atomic rose

I'm laughing WITH you, I promise!

Actually, as much as I know about cooking, it wasn't until my father visited me last month that I discovered the best way to cook a sweet potato: BOILING it, whole. I had no idea. If you cook it that way, the skin literally falls right off.

I also wouldn't know a yam from a sweet potato if you put both of them in front of me. I rely on whatever the grocery store tells me.

Anyway, glad to hear it came out good! Looks fantastic!!

What do you think about putting marshmallows on it? Think it would work?

#124166 - 11/20/04 06:07 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm totally droolin here....oh my goodness!! And if it makes ya feel any better.... I had NO CLUE until I just read your post that there where Sweet Potatoes & Yams (what do you mean they are not the same thing?)

I'm so proud of you...your dish looks GREAT!! (how much is left?)

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#124216 - 11/21/04 01:07 AM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

What do you think about putting marshmallows on it? Think it would work?

Eh, it probably would be TOO sweet! Especially since it was so sweet with the non-sweet sweet potatoes!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#124217 - 11/21/04 01:12 AM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

I'm totally droolin here....oh my goodness!! And if it makes ya feel any better.... I had NO CLUE until I just read your post that there where Sweet Potatoes & Yams (what do you mean they are not the same thing?)

I'm so proud of you...your dish looks GREAT!! (how much is left?)

Actually, there's a TON of it that I have to finish before it spoils! Plus I have to make it now for my dad's Thanksgiving and for my sister's Thanksgiving this Sunday! So come on over and help me finish it off.

Exerpt from FoodNetwork.com:

Sweet Potato. This large edible root belongs to the morning-glory family and is native to tropical areas of the Americas. There are many varieties of sweet potato but the two that are widely grown commercially are a pale sweet potato and the darker-skinned variety Americans erroneously call "yam" (the true yam is not related to the sweet potato). The pale sweet potato has a thin, light yellow skin and a pale yellow flesh. Its flavor is not sweet and after being cooked, the pale sweet potato is dry and crumbly, much like a white baking potato. The darker variety has a thicker, dark orange skin and a vivid orange, sweet flesh that cooks to a much moister texture. Fresh sweet potatoes are available sporadically throughout the year, though not as readily during the summer months. Canned and frozen sweet potatoes are available year-round and are sometimes labeled as yams. When buying fresh sweet potatoes choose those that are small- to medium-sized with smooth, unbruised skins. Sweet potatoes don't store well unless the environment is just right, which is dry, dark and around 55 degrees F. Under perfect conditions they can be stored for 3 to 4 weeks. Otherwise, store in a cool, dark place and use within a week of purchase. Do not refrigerate. Sweet potatoes--particularly the pale variety--can be substituted for regular potatoes in most recipes. They can be prepared in a variety of ways including baking, boiling and sautéing. Sweet-potato chips can now be found on some restaurant menus. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamins A and C. See also potato.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Sweet potatoe or Yam? new
      #124322 - 11/21/04 01:20 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I am still confused on which is ok for my tummy? I did try the pale yellow sweet potatoe and it tasted like a Yukon potatoe (I don't like them). They are sweet if you put brown sugar on them it seems to bring out the sweetness. Yams (orange) are very tastey in my opinion but are they safe for our tummy? We use Yams on Holidays. I am not sure if they bother my tummy because the last time I had them they had butter and milk so those could have caused attack. They(orange) are very good so if anyone figures out if yams are tummy safe please let us know. Thank you!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7324

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review