All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
9lb Butterball Turkey
      #103487 - 09/02/04 02:22 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Ok I bought a 9lb butterball turkey to make while hubby is on vaction. I don't know what the heck to do with it. How do I make stuffing and do I just plop the bird in the oven and let it bake?? I've only made a turkey twice before we always go to someone's house on thanksgivng. I rember there being lots of butter involed HELP. I am trying to make this a good vac for him. We can't eat out because of me (one of our fav things to do) so I am trying to make special meals.
Any Suggestions Please
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Baked turkey with Vegetables and Barley new
      #103499 - 09/02/04 03:20 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Read this all the way through before you make it, as this is a recipe passed to me from my mom and some of the steps (like cutting the turkey and removing the skin) take some time. This has always been one of my favorite recipes and it needed zero adaptation to make it ibs-safe. I hope you and your family love this as much as I do!

Baked turkey with Vegetables and Barley

2 cans stewed tomatoes -- get the Italian variety because it includes a lot of other veggies and seasonings. Do not get plain.
1 cup medium pearl barley
2 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
6 pounds turkey thighs or legs, boned and cut into 3 inch pieces (I would use all the turkey parts, since the breastmeat is more IBS-friendly than the drumsticks, thighs and legs. Give that to your husband) 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
garlic powder, to taste
onion powder, to taste
poultry seasoning (I believe Bell's is the brand)
2 bay leaves

Preparation:
In a large saucepan stir the tomatoes, the barley, and the stock, bring the liquid to a boil, and cook the mixture, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Add salt and pepper and transfer mixture to a shallow 3- to 4-quart baking dish.

Skin the turkey parts and broil or grill them until golden-brown. Arrange the turkey in one layer over the barley mixture. Season the turkey with salt and pepper and cover the dish loosely.
Bake the dish, covered, in a preheated 350` oven for 45 minutes. Remove it from the oven, sprinkle with dill, and serve.
Serves 6.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: 9lb Butterball Turkey new
      #103503 - 09/02/04 03:36 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

the other recipe sounds yummy... I have a personal old favorite.. but part of it doesn't work teh same anymore....

take sweet onions and slice thick (thi sis the part I'm not sure I can still eat) line the bottom of your roaster with them... if you don't have a rack, then layer them more where the bird will sit to hold it up. pour chicken broth in the bottom of the roaster to cover the first layer of onions, can be thinned with water to about 50%... the bird should sit higher then this. cover roaster if possible, if not- tent with foil for first part of cooking time, coat bird with garlic (roasted is yummy, if not powder), black pepper, and sprinkle either rosemary or sage on to taste (mom sometimes slides tons of sage leaves under the skin). put 1/2 onion and 1/2 lemon in cavity of bird, after removing lemon juice. put lemon juice over bird. roast bird (I forget cooking times for this- in my cookbooks, often on birds packaging) uncovering for last 40 minutes or so. Pour pan droippings over bird 3-4 times in cooking process, at least once when uncovered. lift bird out to rest on cutting board. pour liquid from pan into container, along with onions, and refrigerate/freeze to seperate fat. Skim off the fat (should solidify on top for the most part) and reheat to serve with bird- yummy gravy if thickened, and the onions are a great side dish...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#103542 - 09/02/04 06:02 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Instead of butter, I've used just little olive oil and rubbed down the outside of the bird with sea salt, parsley and minced garlic. Bake as usual, basting occasionally.

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

#103559 - 09/02/04 07:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm pretty sleepy so I hope this makes sense. First take out the giblets. My sister-in-law forgot last year and I carved the turkey and tried to pretend it was okay. Next, season, try soy sauce. put an onion and lemon in the cavity and maybe some garlic cloves. Roast at 325 and don't worry about basting because real gourmet people know it doesn't make a difference as only the first 1/2 inch is basted and opening the oven all the time dries it out. I like putting chicken broth at the bottom of the pan along with car/cel/onion type veg for flavor and herbs. Those oven probe thermometers are really cool and cost about $25 at Target and have a monitor to give you the temp without opening the oven- yet they aren't super accurate so when it gets close I check with a normal meat thermometer. This is essential! It should be 170 (at the thigh) and then take out and let rest covered in foil for 15 minutes. You can then take the drippings and stick them in the fridge when you take out the bird and then skim off the fat when it rises to the top. Pour them into a pan and add more stock if needed- or white wine. Just mix some cold liquid with a tablespoon or so of cornstarch in a cup and whisk it into the drippings. Stir until it is thick- it is not rocket science if you want it light. Put the turkey on a warm platter. I bet there are a lot of hints on line.
For stuffing I always liked stove top but I don't know now if it is IBS safe. I add shallots and cremini mushrooms and everyone thinks it is fancy. My father-in-law said, "this isn't stove top stuffing" and I said "actually it is." I think he was embarrassed. Anyway I hope this helps. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

stuffing new
      #103596 - 09/03/04 04:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

stove top at least last I checked had MSG. and way too much salt for my taste.. I make stuffing the old fashioned way, and bake it in a cast iron skillet... use the same skillet all the way through.. start with onions, cellery, carrots, etc (as wanted- shallots work well) and some chicken broth (no msg- I make my own and stock it) add spices and breadcrumbs (if you can't find a bag without MSG make them- toast until dry in a 200 degree ovena dn then break it up) until there is no more liquid and its starting to look dry and crumbly- still over low heat... then take pan and add it to the oven for the last hour or so the bird is in to form crunchy on top- my favorite part!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Thanks Guys new
      #103602 - 09/03/04 04:33 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I now have some realy good ideas. I will let you know how it truns out next week. I hope we have a good Vaction where food is concered. Thanks again.

--------------------
Heather7476

#104032 - 09/05/04 07:12 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

My mom always bastes the turkey in beer (no clue why) but the whole family loves it. I know beer isn't IBS safe, but I was wondering if it would be okay since the alcohol and carbonation would cook off? Does anybody know if this would be safe, or should I avoid it come Thanksgiving?

Meg

#104077 - 09/06/04 06:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm pretty sure this would be safe.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6450

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review