All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
what are you scared of?
      #64220 - 04/23/04 11:12 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i'm bored. entertain me.

does anyone have a phobia?! and i'm talking "phobia" not "things that freak me out." i mean something that makes you want to run the other way screaming! something where you just have that feeling that if you do it/see it/smell it/eat it/hang around it, eventually it's going to be the end of you!

me? i have a horrible fear of spiders! i don't know why, though. no horrid experience, though my brother did get bitten when we were young, but it wasn't a horrific thing, just gross. i tend to hyperventilate and on occasion burst into tears when i see a spider- but only for the big hairy ones. *shudder*

i cannot kill them myself. as a rule, i don't kill bugs, i scoop 'em up and put 'em outside. spiders, i hire out and get someone to kill 'em for me. (ew, i have the creepies just writing this.... BLECH!)

if you want, i can tell you my "I'm so pathetic i cry when I see spiders" story...

i also have a secondary phobia- i'm afraid of heights. not in a plane, but definitely from tall buildings and from bridges.(NOTE: do you have any idea at all how many cities have some big tall building that is a landmark "must see" when you visit!?!? NO THANKS!) the weird thing is, i also have a fear of the deep sea... it's not that i'm afraid of drowning (though that is a horrific thought) or of sharks or anything...i actually think it's related to the fear of heights. it's stupid, tho, 'cause when you're out in the ocean, sure the bottom is miles and miles away, but it's not like you're falling, right!? ah, well, who can explain a phobia....

so told you mine, now you tell me yours!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bird flying over me new
      #64222 - 04/23/04 11:17 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I am absolutely terrified of birds flying in the sky. I will be walking along doing just fine and a bird will fly over my head and I bend over to duck. Like that is going to hide me. What is going through my head I don't know, but it absolutely terrifies me for a bird to fly over my head.

The really freaky thing about it is that I absolutely love birds as pets so it is not birds in general. Just birds flying above my head. How freaky am I????

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Re: what are you scared of? new
      #64223 - 04/23/04 11:18 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Phobias? Sure.

I am terrified of needles. I'm getting better as I get older, but in general the things freak me out. I hate having blood taken, hate getting shots, would never get a tatoo, etc. Needles are bad, bad, bad.

Other than that, I'm not really irrationally afraid of anything. Heights are largely fine, spiders and snakes, no big deal.

But those needles. Yuck.

Speaking of spiders though, does anyone have any ideas for what I should do about the black widow living in the post box? We have one big set of locked boxes for the week and the other day a black widow ran out of mine. Obviously I'm not keen on sticking my hand into a dark place where a poisonous spider lives. Thoughts?

my thoughts on that.... new
      #64231 - 04/23/04 11:47 AM
jenX

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

why would you post that after i just said how afraid i was!?!?! you greatly underestimate my phobia! i'm totally ookied-out now.

ew.

get a new mailbox!

--------------------

#64233 - 04/23/04 11:48 AM
jenX

now that's a "cool" phobia. do have any idea how it started?

wow. birds... i guess i never gave them a second thought before. (like many people never think about spiders!)

aren't phobias odd!?

--------------------

knives new
      #64236 - 04/23/04 11:51 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Mine is knives.... but I don't really need to go into detail

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#64243 - 04/23/04 11:59 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

I know this sounds really bizarre, but I HATE moths!! I hate them way more than any bug ever, even spiders (and I hate spiders a lot!).

When a moth gets in the house, I will literally scream a high-pitched shriek like someone is murdering me. I can't bear to kill most bugs, so I make someone around me kill it.
I don't know what it is....my mom thinks I'm so weird because she says, "It's not like they bite or anything."
I KNOW THAT! I don't care, they just remind me of these disgusting hairy, scary things!!

Anyway, that's my weird phobia. I also don't like heights where there is no protection from keeping you from falling off. Like a big mountain or the top of a building. I'm not so bad if there is plenty of protection around me, so that I know I can't fall.... scary!!

#64254 - 04/23/04 12:07 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm petrified of flying...I've flown many times in my life but the last time we lost an engine on the flight and all the lights in the cabin went out and the landing was less than stellar, and then September 11th happened and well, this girl never wants to get on a plane again!
It's a lousy phobia too, because I've always wanted to visit England/Europe, which may be a little hard if I can't get my butt on a plane...maybe I could take a boat...

#64255 - 04/23/04 12:07 PM
Megs

Reged: 04/03/04

Good lord, lately it seems like it's hard to find things that don't make me want to scream and run the other way but I do have a few that actually exist when I am residing in reality as well. I am *terrified* now of being in the ocean when I can't touch the ground. I was always very into the ocean and was brought up to respect it(ex surfer dad to thank) and have fun and was never afraid. A couple summers ago I went with my friend, Sarah, and we were far out body surfing and having fun. Well we kept getting pushed by the current to the side and couldn't figure out why so we would swim back(it was the current pushing us AWAY from the undertow) Eventually we were so far out and realized there were no people anywhere near us and no waves breaking that far out. I couldn't swim in any direction it was the worst feeling I have ever had. I was stuck and kept swimming and getting sooo tired. Finally a lifegaurd had to come and rescue us *can you say embarrassing?!?!* But the thing is as soon as I was about to grab his hand this random wave came out of nowhere and slammed me to the ground...there were NO waves around until he came. Weird stuff but since then I haven't been able to go very far into the ocean. Rottweilers and pitbulls also make me want to run the other way.

-Megs

#64256 - 04/23/04 12:09 PM
Megs

Reged: 04/03/04

My mom has the opposite. She is afraid of birds indoors. Once when she was younger a bird flew into her house and apparently scared her to death, i think that might have been when it all started to go wrong for her with birds.

-Megs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 777 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19323

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review