All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Good show on Dr Oz today!!
      #366669 - 01/13/12 02:42 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

He had on four functional medicine docs, a few of which I had read and heard about. Really good show about treating illness in a different way. Hope some of you caught the program!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good show on Dr Oz today!! new
      #366673 - 01/14/12 08:36 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

hey gerikat.
So my tests are not going great--nothing really is coming back showing anything specific. Just the general inflammation and irritation from who knows what. I'm getting to that point where I don't know what to eat and what to do... so I figured I would ask you. How did you get your mind to turn off about food and on to stress relief, relaxation, etc... what do you think? I have the hypnosis CDs, so I'm going to start those again. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
I did see a functional med NP and it just didn't click with me. They were quick to diagnose celiac (which we are so sure I don't have...) and give me supplements they suggest for everyone, not specific to my body. But I am getting desperate and would love advice!

--------------------
IBS-A

#366674 - 01/14/12 09:13 PM
Gerikat

Ah Aly, I have read your struggles. I have very strong opinions about IBS and what I feel about it goes deeper than the food and tests and whatever else we put ourselves through. I have touched on this before and got beat up about it from one individual, so I won't go into that on these boards.

What I will say is that it took awhile for me to turn it around. It did take some time with the hypnosis, but the more times I went through the process, the better it got. It was very subtle. I just realized one day, that I wasn't as focused on food or IBS.

As far as the docs go, I do really like what the functional docs have to say. I guess to each their own. I have never had much luck with docs, period.

On the celiac issue, what did the tests say? I really do believe that there are so many undiagnosed celiacs out there. I have done quite a bit of research and there are so many symptoms, some not even gut related. And the tests are not always accurate. The reason I bring celiac up to you, relates to a very sad family situation. My mom was just diagnosed at 77, after years of problems, and she ended up in the hospital with a heart attack, GI bleed, and anemia. If it wasn't for one smart GI doc, she would still be undiagnosed. Her stay in the hospital all stemmed from the undiagnosed celiac. Of course, she has already done so much damage to her intestines. And it is all on me to teach an old dog new tricks, so to speak. She doesn't get why she can't have her usual white bread and pasta!

Sorry to ramble on, but just make sure the celiac is a non-issue for you. And I would definitely follow up with the mental/emotional aspect of IBS, rather than focusing on the food so much. I don't think it is the day to day stresses as much as deeper, long-standing issues that create and keep IBS in our lives. After all, we have to stuff all of our drama somewhere, and we tend to send it to our gut. This is the only course of action that has improved my life.

Feel free to email me at geri12328@yahoo.com.

#366702 - 01/17/12 07:18 PM
Aly

Well, sit down and I'll tell you my little celiac story.
2005- first time I got extremely sick. I'd had IBS for a few years, but I was getting so sick I ended up in the ER every few months. Went to a new GI- blood work came back and showed sensitivity to wheat. Had the upper endoscopy and biopsies-- they were negative. Still suggested GF diet, so i did. For a full year. It was, by far, my sickest year. I was a FREAK about keeping GF. Wouldn't kiss my boyfriend if he had a sandwich. (now husband. Not sure how he didn't run then! lol)
Still being sick got a hida scan, saw a non-functioning GB and got it removed. Doc thought celiac wasn't possible, so I ate gluten again.
Every GI doc I had since then tested my blood and biopsies, probably once a year. All negative. Continued eating gluten.
Got sick again this year. Saw an integrative medicine NP who did more bloodwork. I was positive for the celiac gene (30-40% of the population test positive, but doesnt have it), so they said to eat GF. I did for a few months, still sicker than ever, so I gave up. Saw an allergist. Thought since I am super allergic to grass (and an allergic person in general) it could be cross-contamination with wheat. Did another 3 months GF. Still sick.
So I've been eating whatever recently. Mainly on the IBS friendly diet. But struggling...
I've found the only trigger I can pinpoint is stress. I have my own business, husband is searching for a new job and new career path, i'm at the point where we need to decide if we want to have kids, buy house, etc...
I decided to step back, focus less on food and more on ME. This has made the last few days already better.
Thanks again for the support. You rock.
I'm off to listen to the hypnosis.

--------------------
IBS-A

#366709 - 01/18/12 03:27 PM
Gerikat

Wow, what a struggle it has been for you and I can imagine you are very tired of being so sick, especially if you want a child. Well, maybe it isn't celiac for you. I just wanted you to be sure so that you don't get to 77 like my mom and then find out. I do know that the hypnosis was the only thing that helped me, so good luck with it and keep us posted!

#366713 - 01/19/12 05:56 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I've just read this thread and I wanted to offer another suggestion - Chinese medicine and acupuncture. I just started seeing a dr. of Chinese medicine Feb / March of last year. She was recommended to me by my massage therapist when nothing I was doing for all of my conditions was working. An overall mess with IBS, Chiari, chronic migraines, and brachial neuritis (nerve damage), Dr. D has been a life saver. She works on healing the whole body and balancing my Qi (chi). One of the things she works on with acupuncture and herbs is my spleen function. Apparently my spleen was unhappy because when I started the "happy spleen tonic" herbs, things really started turning around!! I'm feeling better IBS-wise than I have in YEARS. Yes the diet and hypno helped TONS. But the Chinese medicine has been the icing on the cake. I've even managed to gain 5 or 6 lbs.

Just another suggestion you could investigate Aly. Sometimes we have to think outside of Western medicine. Sending big hugs!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#366718 - 01/20/12 02:56 PM
Gerikat

Oh Toady, you are so right! We must think outside Western medicine. I am most times, outside the box. Like I said to Aly, it goes much, much deeper than food, and sometimes you sure must take a different direction.

#366722 - 01/20/12 05:41 PM
Aly

this came at a great time! I just bought a groupon for 2 accupuncture sessions at a great place here in town. really looking forward to it!

--------------------
IBS-A

#366730 - 01/22/12 10:24 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Not all acupuncturists are the same. If you don't have a lot of relief with the two sessions, then ask around. A good dr. of Chinese medicine is a Godsend.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#366739 - 01/23/12 05:36 PM
Aly

good to know/ I figured after 2 sessions I would be able to see if I liked this person. Otherwise, I could then move on and find another person. Thanks for helping me remember that if i don't like this place, there are many many more to try!

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11353

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review