All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act
      #364635 - 05/05/11 09:42 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Dr. Drossman becomes involved with IBS legislation:

http://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/drossman-obtains-federal-support-for-patients-with-ibs-and-other-fgids

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act new
      #365718 - 08/02/11 05:54 AM
journ3

Reged: 08/26/10

Another Representative in the House has signed on, bringing the current number of supporters to 3. Details are in the IBS Impact blog post from yesterday.

http://ibsimpact.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/representative-welch-of-vermont-co-sponsors-hr-2239-for-functional-gastrointestinal-and-motility-disorders/

Everybody, if you are a U.S. citizen, please ask your Representative for support of this bill. This is about real systems change and more research for all of us with IBS. I know historically there have been various political and personality issues among various IBS organizations and forums. Please try to put that aside. This is major. If you don't wish to go through a particular organization or group, that's your choice, but do it as an individual. Then post here and on whatever other IBS forums you visit in order to encourage others. Tell your friends, family and coworkers or classmates who've been supportive of you in your IBS. This is how other disability and health groups get things done. With 10-20% of the population with IBS, we can too if more of us try.

Re: The Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders Research Enhancement Act new
      #366070 - 09/12/11 01:23 PM
journ3

Congress is back in session after the summer recess. Please consider asking for your Representative's support. If you are a constituent of Representatives Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin, Moran of Virginia, or Welch of Vermont, each of them already officially supports this legislation. Please thank him. If you have written to or called your Representative some time ago without a response, call or write again. This has the potential for major change for all with IBS and other FGIMDs. Please make your voice heard.

#366266 - 10/14/11 11:05 AM
journ3

Representative Elton Gallegly (R-CA-24) recently became a cosponsor of HR 2239. I have a new post up on the IBS Impact blog about this.

http://ibsimpact.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/representative-gallegly-of-california-co-sponsors-hr-2239-for-functional-gastrointestinal-and-motility-disorders/

This is very important legislation for all U.S. citizens with IBS or other functional GI or GI motility disorders that, if enacted, will improve research and FDA coordination and, eventually, I hope, have ripple effects on those of you outside the U.S. It is my understanding that the money is already there in the NIH; it's just a matter of budget priorities, not new taxes. At the moment, there are an equal number of Republicans and Democrats supporting this bill. Please put aside any political or philosophical differences in the IBS community and pass the word.

#366275 - 10/17/11 12:39 PM
journ3

The 5th sponsor/cosponsor has signed on, Representative Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-IL-2). I have another blog post up on the IBS Impact blog.

http://ibsimpact.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/representative-jackson-of-illinois-co-sponsors-hr-2239-for-functional-gastrointestinal-and-motility-disorders/

#366554 - 12/19/11 09:31 AM
journ3

The 7th sponsor/cosponsor, Representative Maurice Hinchey (D-NY-22) has signed on. Apparently, I missed posting here when the 6th, Representative Tammy Baldwin (D-WI-2) signed on last month. Representative Baldwin was the original sponsor of HRes 1309, the resolution for IBS awareness last year.

This is a bill supported by both parties. No new taxes or spending are involved. The NIH has funds if Congress directs it to budget it for functional GI disorders. In order to pass in this Congress, the Act must reach a simple majority of 219 by December 2012. If not, we have to start over with a new bill and a new Congress in 2013. While this isn't unusual for any legislation, our ongoing advocacy can increase awareness and momentum and perhaps accelerate passage. Congress is not in session right now due to the holidays, but they will return to Washington by January 17. Please contact your Representatives.

More details and links on the IBS Impact blog.
https://ibsimpact.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/representative-hinchey-of-new-york-co-sponsors-hr-2239-for-functional-gastrointestinal-and-motility-disorders/

#366980 - 03/07/12 04:46 PM
journ3

This legislation is still in Congress and still needs attention. IFFGD now has Capwiz, which is a software program commonly used by advocacy organizations. Type in your zipcode. Capwiz will automatically determine the Representative and generate a partial form letter already written by IFFGD. Add a paragraph or so of your own comments and your contact information--important so your Representative's staff knows you are a real constituent/potential voter in their district and can reply to you. Then submit. You do not have to be an IFFGD member, just a U.S. citizen with a U.S. address. If for some reason you do not wish to use the IFFGD site, please contact your Representative directly, but the Capwiz software is quicker and easier. http://capwiz.com/iffgd/home/

#366985 - 03/09/12 08:43 AM
journ3

Shortly after I posted the last message, I became aware that 2 additional cosponsors have signed on. Details on the IBS Impact blog.

http://ibsimpact.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/representatives-hayworth-of-new-york-and-moore-of-wisconsin-co-sponsor-hr-2239-for-functional-gastrointestinal-and-motility-disorders/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 571 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11021

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review