All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
need some help
      #358600 - 05/13/10 03:59 PM
wizard41681

Reged: 05/13/10
Loc: texas

Hello I am new to the board just found the site I was diagnosed with ibs about 6 years ago but have had I since I was a teenager, I look back at how much Imodium I took to function in highschool and think that was in no way normal. Any way I will be trying the eating for ibs diet and seeing what I can accomplish there. I just would be happy to entertain any suggestions as to what I should try. My symptoms are ibs-d it is really affecting every point of my life I really don't even leave the house at this point. I will do fine for a few hours then I am in the bathroom every 10 min for several hours I can never be sure when it will hit. I have to take Imodium to do anything and that ends in a week's worth of stomach trouble. I have recently added gas and bloating to my list of symptoms. I will do fine and then it hits most often a pinching or stabbing pain in my abdomen. On the right. Scared me the first time thought I was having an appendicitis went to the ER they assured me after much blood work I was fine that was about a month and a half ago having pain again today. I have also started to get bloating. I am taking a generic gasex twice a day and it has been helping but I still don't know what to do I am just at my breaking point with all of this.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need some help new
      #358602 - 05/13/10 05:09 PM
Schnauzer1

Reged: 01/06/09

Seems to me that you have been dealing with the diagnosis of IBS, which is something of a default diagnosis, for long enough now. Becoming a housebound hermit such as you have described here, should not be necessary in this day and age. Please get yourself to Gastroenterology with this history. For openers, you should have a full GI work up including a Colonoscopy with biopsies . You really need, and deserve, a more definitive diagnosis by now. Wishing you the best...

#358603 - 05/13/10 05:29 PM
wizard41681

I have had the full work up and the colonoscopy. Everything has checked out good. I did have a few diverticula in there but I took out the things that suggested from my diet peppers small seeds that kind of thing and it has helped with that. The gastro doc says all symptoms and findings are consistent with ibs and the other docs all say the same so that is where I am. However none have ever given me much advice on diet and such but I found this site and with all this new information it seems very promising

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

#358606 - 05/13/10 06:48 PM
redneckdan

Reged: 05/11/10

It is frustrating how little doctors can do for us. Most I've talked to candidly will even admit it. I know what you are feeling with the house bound problems. Some days my world consists of my bedroom, the bathroom and the 5 feet of hallway betwix them.

As far as the physical aspect, here are my two cents. Please understand that I am not a doctor, but rather study engineering. The RLQ does not have much in it besides the appendix, celium, some of the small intestines and the first third or so of the colon. If i had to venture a guess I would say when the small intestine releases fluid into the colon, that organ is 'freaking out'. Freaking out meaning instead of nice smooth contractions like things are supose to work, the muscle clamps down hard and the transit time gets cut short so that you end of with D instead of a nice normal BM.

#358607 - 05/13/10 06:54 PM
wizard41681

That's kind of my thoughts on it too. It is very frustrating that they know so little about this. My doc is the same pretty much says that he has no clue and that is it. I am willing to try anything at this point. Does anyone else have the pain and cramping like that or is it just me.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

#358611 - 05/13/10 07:38 PM
redneckdan

I get it too. I have actually passed out from the pain. My first attempt at freshman year of college my RA found me passed out in the shower from a bad attack. I ended up dropping out and going back the next year. I had only had the IBS diagnosis for 3 weeks. I've had IBS for most of my life I think. Some times I can go from fine to horid attack in 30 seconds flat. Usually do to a bad stress incident or mild stress and a falling barometer....yes even weather affects my IBS.

#358612 - 05/13/10 07:59 PM
wizard41681

You know I am getting ready to move about 400 miles and just went through losing a chunk of my work and a foreclosure. I wonder if my stress level has caused my symptoms to worsen in the last few months

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

#358613 - 05/14/10 06:47 AM
redneckdan

I can guarantee it is not helping.

#358614 - 05/14/10 07:35 AM
wizard41681

Well as bit of an update on the pain it seems that I have a pulled muscle in my side and that the extra gas and bloating is causing some pain with that. One more joy of ibs huh. Thanks for talking with me I am sorry that you have the issues you do but it is nice to talk with someone who has the same problems and understands.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

#358619 - 05/14/10 09:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Hi and welcome to the Boards. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine when I first found this site. It made a remarkable difference for me and I hope it does for you, too.

I don't know how much of the website you've read outside the Boards but you should read through all the EFI Diet info there. Here's a post that will walk you through what you need to read: web page

To start, pay particular attention to the hyperlink for "Breaking The Cycle of IBS Attacks". That recommends a diet of nothing but foods from the Soluble Fiber list for a few days (*only* a few days) to get your tummy settled down. Then you can start adding back in non-SF foods gradually in small amounts.

You'll probably get more answers to IBS questions if you post on the "IBS Diet" Board rather than the Living Room Board. The Living Room covers stuff other than IBS while the IBS Diet Board is specifically for IBS stuff.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9313

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review