All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Just diagnosed with Habba Syndrome
      #341685 - 02/05/09 09:59 AM
mommagoose

Reged: 02/03/09
Loc: New York

Just wondering if I am the only one here being treated for Habbas syndrome? Actually , I am not sure why my doctor decided I have Habbas. The only thing indicating it is sudden severe diarrhea after eating. I have 6-8 trips to the bathroom after eating breakfast in the morning. I had a colonoscopy on Monday and there were 4 colon polps.
Linda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just diagnosed with Habba Syndrome new
      #341886 - 02/09/09 10:57 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I don't know about the colon polys but it's very good that you have a doctor who even knows what Habba syndrome is.
Sudden post meal D is a classic Habba Syndome sign and there's more information at http://habbasyndrome.com/_wsn/page4.html. You should ask for your gall bladder function to be tested via radiological testing to confirm the diagmosis. If it is Habba's you should have a excellent response to bile acid suppressors.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#341903 - 02/10/09 10:05 AM
mommagoose

Reged: 02/03/09
Loc: New York

I have been taking Questran just once in the morning and things are clearing up nicely. I am supposed to take it twice a day but the restriction that you must take it two hours after medication or take the medication 4 hours after the Questran means i won't get to bed until after midnight. The only side effect has been terrible gas an hour or so after swallowing that gritty stinky stuff . Bleck..but it seems to be working thats all I care about.
Linda

#342491 - 02/22/09 08:48 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Oh my goodness finally someone else that is taking this stuff. I have taken it once in the morning and once at night but after taking it for 2 weeks I got uncontrolable and really bad stinky gas. I couldn't do it anymore after having the gas for about 4 days I quit taking it and the gas went away. I was bummed though cause this medicine was the first to actually work for my diarrhia. Have you been able to find anything to take the gas away?
---------------------------------------
IBS-D, Diverticulosis

Could you try a diffrent med? new
      #342521 - 02/23/09 10:29 PM
glasgowgirl

Is it possible to find another bile acid suppressor. Since you both responded well (apart from the gas) this suggest you have habba and not IBS. If so IBS treatments aren't going to help. In fact a common sign of habba is a lack of response to treatment for IBS.

It's possible to confirm habba's via radiological testing of the gallbladder. Ask your GI doc to do this if they haven't already.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: Could you try a diffrent med? new
      #342532 - 02/24/09 08:25 AM
mrae

When I switched to my new Gi doctor the first thing he did was check my gallbladder. I had a ultra sound done and cat scan with iodine done and he said it came back ok. He said there was nothing like this med except for the one I was taking and to try gas X or pepto to relieve the gas. Gas X didn't work and pepto will stop me up so I just quit taking it all together. Is there any other way to be checked for Habba? Thanks for your help.
IBS-D, Diverticulosis

Re: Could you try a diffrent med? new
      #342576 - 02/24/09 08:13 PM
glasgowgirl

According to Dr Habba's website you check for Habba Syndrome via

by an abnormal radio-nuclear test that studies the function of the gallbladder (DISIDA scan with CCK injection).

I don't know if this is what you've already had. Habba wouldn't show up on a ultrasound as it's a problem with the function of the gall bladder not the structure.

I don't know if this atol feasible but Dr Habba has a office in New Jersey. Google his name to find him.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Colestipol! new
      #342611 - 02/25/09 06:01 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm hardly ever here anymore but happened to see this ... take Colestipol instead!! It is the generic form of Colestid, which is a lovely beautiful PILL you can take. No more mixing up and choking down orange swill!! I too started out on Questran, and hated it plus had yucky side effects (including, yes, socially unacceptable gas). Colestipol is a generic so it's cheap (I pay $10 for a one-month supply with my crappy insurance), and it works WAY better than Questran with no side effects. I take two 1 gm tablets.

I have no idea why any doctor prescribes the disgusting horror that is Questran when they can prescribe Colestipol. Maybe they just want you to suffer so you keep coming back?

hope that helps, ask your doctor about it!!

PS The HIDA scan is really the test you need to do to test your gallbladder -- it tests your gallbladder function. If you have pain the test should trigger it and therefore show that the gallbladder is the source. Although technically my gallbladder function was normal according to the numbers on the test, I had a gallbladder attack exactly at the expected moment, so they ended up taking it out.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Question for glasgowgirl new
      #342870 - 03/05/09 11:24 AM
momof K

Reged: 03/05/09

I am the mother of a young woman I believe to have Habba Syndrome.Can't find a gastroenterologist who is familar with it or can test for it in Nova Scotia.Does anyone know a doctor in Canada who can help and a hospital equipped with the HIDA scan?

Re: Colestipol! new
      #342975 - 03/07/09 03:12 PM
mrae

I had my doctor prescribe this to me and I will be getting it on Monday. I hope this will do better without the gassy side effects. He had originally told me there was nothing out there like Questran to take and then when I called him about this medicine I think he was a little shocked I knew about it. Sometimes I think they do just try keeping you coming back.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 525 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review