All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bernie Mac had sarcoidosis
      #334268 - 08/09/08 07:08 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Bernie Mac is dead at 50 from complications from pneumonia in Chicago. They're reporting he also suffered "from sarcoidosis, an inflammatory lung disease that produces tiny lumps of cells in the body's organs, but he had said the condition went into remission in 2005."

I'm stunned at his death. The comedian had such a hard family life, and was now enjoying success as an actor. RIP Bernie.

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

so sad new
      #334363 - 08/10/08 04:01 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

He was so young.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Sarcoidosis new
      #334367 - 08/10/08 05:12 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

One of the girls who posts on here has it..."Michele". I've read several of her posts and I believe it affects your lungs and other organs.... Here's a portion of one of her posts:
Quote:

I first presented with multiply miscarriages, most unlikely due to the sarc and probably due to blood clots even though my clotting tests are normal. I was recently treated for two pulmonary embolisms and 3 deep vein thrombosis, all types of blood clots and usually the pe's are lethal. While going through the fertility work-up and treatments, I started to have swelling and pain in my hands and feet, they said it was hormones. Than the constant fatigue, they said stress. Than I got pregnant for a 4th time with twins and while pregnant I got a raging case of uveitis (eye inflammation.) they called that a fluke. Lost the twins and blew up everywhere like a blow fish, than I was just depressed. Many, many, many doctors later and many wrong dx later, I finally know what I have, chronic progressive sarcoidosis.

For me, its painful almost everyday, my breathing is very limited, I have constant extreme fatigue, memory problems, the list is very long. At this very minute, I sit at my desk hooked up to a heart monitor. They are trying to figure out how much damage it has already done to my heart. I get remicade treatments for it every 4 weeks and things are improving a bit.

Not a very nice disease at all!! I perceive her as a very strong person, though...

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (08/10/08 05:13 PM)

Re: Bernie Mac had sarcoidosis new
      #334379 - 08/11/08 04:47 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I saw this and immediately thought of Michele! I hope her treatment continues to help. So sad to hear about BM and his family.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#334401 - 08/11/08 08:25 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I was very sorry to hear that Bernie Mac passed away. There are many falsehoods and rumors going around. The "lung problems" he had been suffering from for several years was sarcoidosis. The press is stating he died from complications of pneumonia which I am not sure if that is entirely correct. From my understanding he was in a bit of denial about his sarcoidosis which I do not understand why. Some of the news reports are saying that sarcoidosis is a virus, which there is absolutely NO evidence to support that. The truth is they do no know what causes it but it is NOT contagious.

There needs to be more research and education about this disease. The sarcoid community thought that after Reggie White died a few years back from cardiac sarcoidosis that the disease would get more recognition, unfortunately that didn't happen.

This is the official sarcoidosis web site if you would like to take a moment to educate yourself a little about it. You can support research for this disease by buying the bracelets, every little bit helps.
http://www.stopsarcoidosis.org/
This is the message board that I belong to. It has been very helpful for me to talk with others going through similar problems that I am. If you really want to see what a day in the life is like when you have sarc, read through some of the posts.
http://www.inspire.com/groups/stop-sarcoidosis/discussions/

The above is an email I just sent to my friends and family. Thank you for thinking about me.

The last 4 years or so of my life have been a battle. The "old timers" here know the whole story but for you "newbies" it started with miscarriages than serious health problems that no one could diagnosis. I took some drastic measures this past fall but long story short, the finally figured out that I have what they call chronic, progressive sarcoidosis.

Knowing what I have has made it a little easier. At least people can't say that I am just fat and depressed or crazy, all of which I heard more times than I can remember.

However, as I am trying to adjust me life to living with a chronic illness, I find new struggles. Most days I can remain upbeat but when I go weeks on end feeling like rotting garbage on the side of the road, it gets a bit difficult.

I am now getting monthly infusions of remicade. Its not fda approved for the use in sarc. Actually, there is NO medication fda approved for sarc but they use a lot of the same things they use for people with rheumatoid arthritis, like steroids, placquenil, methotrexate, imuran, etc. The infusions are helping but since they raised my dose, I am getting some really horrible side effects. I was super sick for several days after my last treatment. Than, I got a real nasty migraine and after 4 days I had to go to the ER. With this disease, it just seems to never stop. Its always something. I have difficulty breathing everyday and my chest feels like there is an elephant sitting on it all the time. My hands and feet are chronically swollen and painful. I have headaches all the time, extreme fatigue, ringing in my ears, neuropathy, vision problems, memory issues, the list goes on and on.

I am truly sorry that Bernie Mac passed away but lets hope that it brings this awful disease out in the open, awareness is a good first step.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

sarcoidosis awareness! new
      #334412 - 08/11/08 11:12 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You said it best, Michele!!

~nelly~

#334430 - 08/11/08 02:06 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Michele -
I just can't imagine what you go through from day to day. You are so strong, and such an inspiration to me and many others on this board I am sure.

I know it's hard, as I watch my mother struggle with it from time to time. She actually has pneumonia right now. She is at home and on her second round of antibiotics. As you can imagine, it scared her pretty bad when she heard about Bernie Mac.

Anyway, hang in there girl. There is ALWAYS a chance for remission. I am praying for you!!!

(((hugs)))

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Re: Fancymom new
      #334432 - 08/11/08 02:17 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thanks. I am sorry to hear about your mom, I hope this round of antibiotics works for her. So far, I have avoided the dreaded pneumonia but I am always worried about infections, especially since being on such a high dose of remicade and working with the public! I should buy stock in hand sanitizer!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Michele new
      #334439 - 08/11/08 04:08 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Michele-
I haven't been around very long, but I read all your posts and you are such an inspiration with your positive attitude. Just want you to know you are in my prayers and God is still in the miracle working business! ~ Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#334440 - 08/11/08 04:24 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hey sweetie - when I heard about BM dying, I immediately thought of you. You are such a strong inspiration for people! I'm sorry you've been having a rough time with your treatments lately, I hope you get to feeling better soon. I can't begin to imagine what you must go through every day.

Thanks for keeping in touch with us, Michele! You know we're always here for you, even if we can't always relate, we can at least empathize and try to understand.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 980 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review