All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hey all! Anyone got any magic cure for major cystitis...? new
      #302743 - 03/21/07 01:42 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Just spent last 40 minutes reading back down the boards - man I have some catching up to do!

But first... I was woken from a really deep sleep this morning around 5am with a horrible burning abdomen and urge to go pee. I go, and it turns out I have a horrible case of cystitis. I occasionally get it mildly, but I haven't had it this bad for like 6/7 years.

I couldn't take one of those cranberry powder sachet things in water because they upset my tum, and I had to go to work, but now I'm home and not working in the office til next Monday I came to take one...only to find my stash had vanished from where I kept them!

Who knows where it is, but now I'm in a dilemma, as I'm now in way too much pain to drive to the store, but don't know what else to do. I'm taking paracetemol & ibuprofen to try and desensitise myself a little, and drinking lots of lemon barley water as it's good at turning the urine alkaline (so stinging less - in the same way that cranberry works, but I HATE cranberry juice!), which is helping very slightly, but I haven't left the toilet for like 3 hours...

Oh, and now my urine is blood-coloured, which according to a medical site can happen, but it's never happened to me before.....

SO......... Does anyone have any miracle cures that they know about?? Willing to try anything!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hey all! Anyone got any magic cure for major cystitis...? new
      #302791 - 03/22/07 05:02 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

No cure for you, sorry Caroline! I sure hope you find something soon!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#302850 - 03/22/07 01:42 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ack, sounds very painful. No magic cures but wanted to say hi and hope you are feeling better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#302978 - 03/23/07 01:11 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry. I remember the pain, and I hate cranberry juice too. Ever try the sachets with warm water instead of cold? I'll heat up cranberry juice just a little in the microwave when I *have* to have it. It's a little easier on the tum.

Remember to breeathe. I can't remember if you're a D or not, but I am and codeine + paracetamol works great for pelvic pain for me.

~nelly~

#303045 - 03/24/07 12:39 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I used to get urinary tract infections all the time. They're miserable and I'm so sorry you're suffering with one. I don't have any magic cures but I found this web page with some suggestions.

When I was getting UTIs a lot my doctor gave me a presciption for a drug I cannot now remember the name of - it relieved the pain and urgency without treating the infection so I could take it if I got an infection over the weekend and still be tested for bacteria on Monday. I think it started with a "p" and it turned my urine this weird yellow/orange color. My doctor also prescribed an antibiotic for me to take after intercourse - it made a world of difference. I don't know if that's an option for you (I didn't have IBS then) but it might be worth discussing.

I hope you're feeling better.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Still here 10 days after it started...
      #303479 - 03/29/07 07:36 AM
Blondie13

...so the doc said I had to go on antibiotics. (trimethoprim)

It's a 3 day course, and I started Tuesday evening so nearly done. I've felt SO sick/nauseous taking them, but my cystitis is heaps better.

I've never really had to worry about the IBS .v. antibiotics thing before - I just hope it doesn't aggravate my symptoms again, just when I'm doing ok...

Speaking of which, no poop since Sunday night and MAN is my stomach huge!

Thanks everyone for the kind words / suggestions - you guys are great!

The thing that's ended up working best, and here's a top tip, is havng a bath with half a cup of bicarbonate of soda in it - it completely soothes your sore bits, and neutralises the acidic 'down there'. It completely cleans without aggravating your delicate bits, and for the whole time you're in the water you feel nothing - a welcome break!

It lasts until your first pee I guess after you get out, but better than nothing...

--------------------

Re: Still here 10 days after it started... new
      #303548 - 03/29/07 03:44 PM
Toady

I'm glad you found a solution, even if the bath only helped for a while.

I found antibiotics wreaked a little havoc on my tum, but for the most part it was like a normal day with ibs! And I was on some heavy duty ones for 28 days - 1000 mg / day I think.

Hope you're all better soon!

BTW, how's the job? The new car? The DB?

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: My update! new
      #303590 - 03/30/07 03:13 AM
Blondie13

Hey Cassandra!

Things are generally pretty great thanks! The job is very hard work, and I'm very stressed, but in a good way - i.e. it's because the business is growing. My boss is the most disorganised person I've ever come across, but he's lovely, and is completely flexible and understanding about my IBS - and as a result so far I've only missed 1 1/2 days in my first 6 months, as I don't panic about it.

The car is brilliant, I love it. Some little grotbag kid scratched the side of it a few weeks ago - they did 45 cars in our area on one night! It'll be a few hundred pounds to sort out, so will have to wait for a while...

Jamie is cool too - he started a new job on Monday, which means he got rid of his a**hole boss at the old place, so he's feeling better already. He's working in a more famoous company (Bostik, who make glue and sealants, etc), getting paid substantially more, has an easier job, more support from his bosses and it's doing what he does best - perfect!!

The only real downsides we've had is that both my nans are still really poorly, one had to have another operation and is only 5 1/2 stone, we're basically pretty much watching her fade away.

Also 2 weeks ago I was working from home (I do this usually 2, sometimes 1 day a week), and I suddenly became aware that something felt wrong - I walked out of the living room and into the dining room, to see that water was literally waterfalling through the kitchen ceiling!1

A pipe fitting had burst behind the sink up in the new bathroom, and we have a high pressure water system, so in a very short time it completely flooded the new bathroom and started coming through into the kitchen below.

It was pouring through the light fitting, down all 4 walls, and it was about an inch deep, and had spread into the dining room. So of course I ran upstairs and the bathroom, which you step down into, was a few inches deep - very scary and for the first time in my life I went hysterical!

Anyhow, to cut a long story short it's now an insurance matter - because of gravity the bathroom will be ok, a few tiles will just need re-grouting and the towels replaced; the kitchen needs a new ceiling, some new plaster on a couple of the walls, new flooring, and probably a new set of kitchen units (hope so - desperate for a different kind of kitchen! ); also the wall between the kitchen and dining room needs re-plastering on both sides, the dining room needs re-wallpapering, and a new carpet.

Great fun! And we can't start on any of the remedial work until the drying company, who have 4 major industrial strength de-humidifiers and 6 massive fans in our house, have got the damp everywhere down to at least 17% - at the moment the bathroom is 23% which is great, but most of the kitchen is still 100%!

Anyway, how are you? Things going a little better yet? Hope so..... !!

PS - now had 5 out of the 6 antibiotic tablets and had plenty of side effects - itchy everywhere, joints aching, headache & all weak/shaky, but the cystits is about gone, so hopefully they're doing the job!

--------------------

Re: My update! new
      #303664 - 03/31/07 07:32 AM
Toady

I'm glad to see you're doing so well at work!! I know you were really anxious about your ibs and going back!! Hurray for you! And for Jamie - a miseralbe boss makes life miserable - I know I have 5! Congrats on his new job.

Sorry to see your nans aren't doing better. It is sooooo hard!! I know, my grandma was in hospital for a month, she has a bleed they couldn't locate or operate on. ARGHHH!! Frustrating. Plus, her heart is too weak for local or general anesthetic so the tests they can do are limited too. She's home now, but still being monitored every 3 days. At least she hasn't needed a whole blood transfusion since she was discharged. I'll hope for the best for your nans!! 5.5 stone!! Unbelievable!! She must just be sooo tiny!! Hugs to you too!

Your flood!!! OMG I know what you are going through with the drying equipment and waiting for the restoration to begin. I work for a restoration contractor so I see stuff like this daily. I hope you have a good contractor and that the kitchen is back in working order soon!

Me, I'm doing alright. Doing hypno - 2nd time through the cds. It's helping a lot more this time. I'm being treated for my chronic migraines - they finally diagnosed them as chronic!! Someone finally listened to me!! After my dr telling me there is nothing he can do, the emergency dr telling me the same, but he at least referred me to someone who did help. I had a head CT scan yesterday just to check on things as my migraines have been much worse, longer and on the left side of my head lately, and they were always on the right before. I had one that lasted 8 days and I was having times where I couldn't speak or see. SCARY!!!
Thomas and I are going on our honeymoon on April 19th for 9 days to DisneyWorld in Florida. We booked a nice hotel right on-site and I'm counting the days!! (Only 19 to go!!)
We're desperately waiting for spring - I can't wait to get my motorcycle on the road - but its too cold and too much gravel is still on the roads. (they put a mix of sand and salt on the roads here for traction as we usually have a lot of snow and a long, cold winter.)

So things are pretty good with me too. I was out test driving a little truck the other day and today we went and looked at a few more. I'm in the market for a new vehicle too. My 1987 Ford F250 3/4 ton is getting really tired!

Take care of you!!! Keep in touch!

--------------------
Cassandra

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2018

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review