All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
piggybacking birth control pills new
      #289451 - 11/09/06 08:12 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've been using Aviane (Alesse) non-stop to avoid getting periods (instead of taking the low-estrogen ones during week 4, I go straight to a new pack). Unfortunately, I am still having regular periods. In a manner of speaking. My last period started 17 days ago and hasn't stopped. (And this is not just "spotting".)

It's been 11 weeks since I started -- I'm supposed to give it three months. The irritating thing is that if I do stop bleeding before next week, I'm sure my doctor is going to tell me to give it another month to see if I get another period.

Anyway, I know other people here have used birth control pills to skip periods, so what has your experience been like? And what pill are you using?

I was initially specifically prescribed Alesse/Aviane by the RE's office at Mayo Clinic -- apparently this is their standard for their endometriosis patients. So I'm not really sure what would be wrong in my case. I don't think I can go any lower-dose than Aviane. I'm not sure if my body's going haywire because not enough hormones or too much. If I do go back to my doctor should I ask for my hormones to be tested or should I just try a different brand of pill? I am thinking of a progesterone-only pill because I've heard of good results for endometriosis patients, but I'm not sure if you can piggyback those, and when I mentioned it to Mayo they said they don't prescribe them because they're very ineffective against pregnancy. I'm using BC primarily to control periods, so I don't care about this -- we can just use condoms.

Anyway -- any thoughts?? Right now our insurance does not cover BC, so I've been trying to stick to the lower-cost generic BC pills, but I'll be getting different insurance soon and will be covered for BC, so other pills/methods are an option. (Except the Depo shot -- not going there!!)

Thanks!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: piggybacking birth control pills new
      #289454 - 11/09/06 08:22 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Oh dear, Jen - that's not fun. I piggyback my pills, but I was lucky in that the first pill I tried this with works fine. I take Loestrin (generic I think is called Microgestin). I do get occasional spotting, but VERY occasional and it happens like once and that's it.

I definitely think you need to try a new pill, but I can't really offer any advise on which one....I know sometimes it's trial and error and I know people who have tried 5 or 6 different kinds before they get the right one.

I think you need to push back with your doc - 17 days of bleeding is unacceptable to me!!!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#289461 - 11/09/06 08:45 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I took various brands of the pill for 18 years. Before we started trying to get pregnant, I was on ortho tricyclen (sp?) which is not a monophasic pill but I did well with it. When I first started piggy backing them, after about 7 weeks, I got a period despite still taking them and it did linger for a couple of weeks. After that, I piggy backed them for years for 5-6 months at a time with no break though bleeding or problems.

After losing the twins my periods started getting really bad. Heavy bleeding, cramps, moody, sore boobs, the whole nine yards, so I started the pill again this summer. My girlfriend suggested Yasmin because its monophasic and also has a diuretic in it which helps with bloating. I did fine for about 6-7 weeks, started bleeding so stopped taking it for a week. The period stopped and I started them again. The second time around I went about 8 weeks and bleed. Since they are monophasic, you can just stop them anytime and resume them after a week. Right now I'm at about 8 weeks and feel like I could have a period at any time. I was hoping if I stuck with it, that the breakthrough bleeding would stop but I'm not sure if this pill is strong enough for me.

I've also recently started getting migraines. The doc said they were estrogen withdrawal because I'd get them every time I stopped the pill. However, I had a terrible migraine Sunday night and all day Monday and I'm still taking the pills. So, not sure if my hormones are fluctuating regardless of the pill or if my migraines are triggered my something else?

Not sure I answered any of your questions, sorry!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#289462 - 11/09/06 08:50 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Alesse should not be used for piggybacking and skipping periods. Only pills that are monophasic should be used where each pill the packs will contain the exact same hormones amounts. This can also be better for IBS (no fluctuating hormones) and for side effects like nausea etc associated with fluctuating hormones.

I have been skipping periods for a long time now, and have been on 2 pills (switch to fix acne problem) and both worked fine. They are Ortho 1/31 (NOT ortho tricyclen) and Marvelon.

I also don't suggest the progesterone-only ones, they are meant for people who cannot tolerate a normal combination pill, and have more side effects/risks associated with them.

Many monophasic combination pills are low-dose, and there are some that can help more with endometiosis. Normally your doctor would be able to tell you which one is best, but from the sounds of it your doctor doesn't understand bc pills very much.

Another safe option is the Nuva Ring. This has much much lower doses of hormones and should be easily tolerated. It's safer than the Depo shot, and you should stop getting periods.

I suggest going off or going back to using Alesse the 'normal' way until you can switch pills, which should stop your period. Sorry that you had to endure 17 days it sounds just awful!

Hope you get this resolved quickly,

--------------------
Kat

#289467 - 11/09/06 09:30 AM
jen1013

Thanks, Michelle. I've actually been on Loestrin before. I didn't piggyback it, but my doctor eventually switched me to another pill because I would always have some light bleeding during week #2 of the pill pack. So I'm guessing that one probably won't agree with me either.

Oh, and my doctor doesn't know I've been bleeding so long, she just knows I've still been having periods. I haven't seen her in awhile. She's always been very accomodating so I'm sure if I insisted on switching right now she'd do it, but I guess I'm not sure if I *should* insist or if I really just need to have more patience. Because I am sort of fresh out of that.

How are you doing these days? Did you see the endocrinologist?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#289469 - 11/09/06 09:35 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I don't think you need to have more patience - 17 days is not ok!!! Your doc may disagree with me, but I would be flipping out!!! I would at least mention to her about trying another pill and see where the conversation goes.

I'm doing alright. I decided not to see the endocrinologist right now. I'm so sick of doctors and I'm noticing the hot flashes are less frequent and are definitely worse with stress. I'm just going to sit tight on it for now and see what happens.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: piggybacking birth control pills
      #289471 - 11/09/06 09:43 AM
jen1013

Thanks for your input, Michele. I'm sure the actual risk is low, but Yasmin can cause liver problems, so I probably won't try it because I might be going on a different drug that can also cause liver problems. I am quite attached to my liver.

Sorry to hear about your migraines. I've had them since I was a teenager. Although being on birth control cuts back on the frequency, I still get one or two when I have my period. I quite often get a migraine a few days before my period and then another one a few days into my period, so if you think you're due for a period at any time that could be why you had a migraine.

--------------------
jen

#289475 - 11/09/06 10:02 AM
K2

"Normally your doctor would be able to tell you which one is best, but from the sounds of it your doctor doesn't understand bc pills very much."

Sorry, I thought your doctor had told given you Alesse to take piggy-backed (I read too fast). Anyways, you'll have to stop piggy-backing them for now to stop your period, and then ask your doctor for a different pill. Try asking for a monophasic to see if that works better. Light spotting is considered normal if it goes away on its own, but a period like this is not.

Goodluck,

--------------------
Kat

#289476 - 11/09/06 10:04 AM
jen1013

Thanks for the response, Kat. Aviane (Alesse) is actually monophasic, not multiphasic, so it's perfectly safe to piggyback. It just doesn't seem to be working too hot for me. I'm even careful to take it at the same time every day, since I've heard that the lower-dose pills can be touchy that way, but it's just not cutting it.

Progesterone is actually often used to treat endometriosis because some women can't handle even the small amounts of estrogen in BC pills. I took a course of progesterone several months ago (for a different reason) and my pain was a lot better during it, so that's a big part of why I'm contemplating it. I don't really have that much everyday pain anymore, but when I get periods they're still extremely painful. I don't like the idea of more risks/side effects, though ... can you give me more details? I've been reading up on different BC types and I don't remember Micronor having any worse warnings than the combo pills.

--------------------
jen

#289481 - 11/09/06 10:15 AM
K2

I was told progesterone-only pills increase risk of depression and bleeding between periods, along with more weight gain than other pills, and less protection from pregnancy. These effects are normally balanced by the estrogen in combination pills. I was thinking if you have problems with bleeding already, it may not help.

Of course, I was also told that Alesse was not monophasic, so who knows if what the doc said about progesterone-only is right!

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5231

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review