All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
monophasic birth control pills new
      #280868 - 09/05/06 08:20 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm looking for a monophasic birth control pill that I can piggyback to skip most of my periods ... I am currently on Aviane (same thing as Alesse/Levline) but dislike the side effects. I'd also prefer something that has a generic, since our health insurance won't cover birth control pills.

So -- if you've been on a monophasic birth control pill, currently or in the past, can you tell me how happy you are with it and what side effects you have?

Thanks!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: monophasic birth control pills new
      #280877 - 09/05/06 09:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Three months or so ago, I started Yasmin. I have no idea if there is a generic as my friend gave me four packs that she had left over. I haven't noticed any side effects. After about 8 weeks of taking them straight, I started to bleed so stopped for a week to have a period and have been back on them. Its normal to have a breakthrough period once or twice when just starting to piggy back pills. Not everyone does but don't be surprised if you do. The nice thing about the monophasic pills is that if you do, you can just pick up where you left off.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#280894 - 09/05/06 09:40 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I have been on Loestrin (generic is microgestin) for about 6 years at least. I piggyback them and do not get any periods - haven't had one in about 3 years I think. I do not have any complaints other than occasional spotting - but when I say occasional I mean maybe 1 or 2 times a year.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

bump -- anyone else? -nt- new
      #281122 - 09/07/06 06:39 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#281128 - 09/07/06 07:11 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm not sure how it works for US/Canada differences, but here's my input.
I've taken both Marvelon and Minestrin 1/20 which are low-dose monophasic pills. With Minestrin I did gain a bit of weight, but then I was really underweight to start with so I'm not sure if it was the pill. With both my skin cleared up from acne, and I had no other noticeable side effects.

I later went on Ortho 1/35 which caused my acne to come back and worsen. I think I may have been a bit moodier on it too. I'm now back on Marvelon to help my skin. My old doctor had me switching pills constantly to see if it helped my period, but the only thing that helped was taking them piggy-backed. I've had no problems doing this, no spotting, no cramping nothing.

Hope you find what works for you,

--------------------
Kat

Re: monophasic birth control pills
      #281150 - 09/07/06 08:09 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Jen! I've been on Sprintec (generic for Ortho-Cyclen) for eight years now. Sometimes it makes me a bit nauseated, but that goes away if I take it with a meal. Other than that, no other side effects. Oh, and it has helped reduce breakouts and shortened my periods.

Other bc, no periods 4 me new
      #281234 - 09/07/06 02:30 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Just wanted to chime in! I was on a lot of bc pills since I was 14-- All the orthos, several low-dose estrogen pills and the mini-pill. All of them had estrogen and I got bleeding and headaches for weeks with all of them. Since then I've been on depo provera, and most recently the depo sub-Q shot (not an IM shot, yea!), and I've had no periods, cramps, endo or migraines since.

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1483

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review