All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help!?! new
      #280771 - 09/03/06 11:56 PM
raws55

Reged: 09/03/06
Loc: Holbrook, Ma

I was told that I have IBS about 2 years ago. Since my first attack I have had very few and light symptoms. Untill yesterday, and now it's kicking my butt. When I went to the doctor before the gave me Zantac and a very strog pain killer. They never told my anything else. Side note it also took about a month and a half of many test that the scan, poked and prodded me in many places for them to tell me what was wrong. I often have trouble with my bm's but I don't know what I did to have this attack. Can someone help me? The pain gets so bad that I bend over from it's contractions. It makes it hard for me to be at work or out anywhere.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What did you eat? new
      #280777 - 09/04/06 06:28 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Can you remember? Maybe it was something that triggered the attack. I've had IBS for for about 18 years (almost half of my life )I've noticed that as I got older(in my 30's)it got worse. That's good you had all the tests. I find it funny though that he gave you the dx of IBS and prescribed Zantac I know that some on the boards have both, Acid Reflux(which is what the Zantac is for) and IBS.
Do you have IBS w/D or IBS w/C? (Diarrhea or Constipation)

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Elaborate if you can
      #280778 - 09/04/06 06:29 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Do you have diarrhea or constipation? I have the same problem with the pain, and I know what you mean... when it comes, there's nowhere to get away from the pain. I have D (diarrhea) and for me, anything that constipates me is like a vacation from the pain. I'm on long-term pain management and take Imodium before I eat. I also take an anti-spasmodic called Donnatal, which cuts the severity of an attack.

Give us some details and we can maybe steer you in the right direction. Good luck to you.

~nelly~

Re: Nelly-Donnatol question new
      #280880 - 09/05/06 09:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hey girlfriend, weird question for you-do you find it hard to pee when you take too much donnatol?? I was loading up on it, like 2 pills three times a day all weekend and I feel like I have to pee REALLY bad but I have to sit and strain just to pee. Once I get going, it comes out fine but its really hard to get the flow going! Does that make any sense and has it ever happened to you? Maybe I,m just dehydrated?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I get that from the vics new
      #280899 - 09/05/06 10:21 AM
Nelly

Vicodin makes that happen for me (and Percocet). I've never gotten that from Donnatal or from the codiene I take. At first I thot I might be getting a UTI, but I realized it happened only when I was loading up on the vics because of the pain.

I'm prescribed 3 Donnatal a day before meals, but I don't take it at night because I get the worst dry mouth! If I take them at night I find I can't sleep because I can't get the saliva to flow. So I use the extra to take if I have an attack (instead of just as a preventative).

It's quite possible you're having this effect from the donnatal. Our bodies pick what they react to. Maybe on their web page you might find more info on this side effect: www.donnatal.com.

~nelly~

Re: Elaborate if you can new
      #280927 - 09/05/06 12:29 PM
raws55

Other than my first "attack" I have not had the severe pain until the past couple of days. Mostly I have D. After reading messages on this site realized that have always had ibs. Mostly after I eat m stomach feels funky and then I have to find a bathroom quick. Randomly I'm fine. If it's hot, like it is most of the time at work, than it acts up if I just look at food. I love soda but that makes it act up to. The doctor never told my anything other than I have ibs. This site has helped me alot. Sometimes I will get a few sharp pains in my lower stomache but it's nothing compared to the pain from the two attacks, that lasted about a week each. I don't have very good insurance, and I don't want to spend money going to the doctors for them to just give my Zantac again. I bought it otc and I think it helped. I took alieve for the pain but I'm nervous about that cuz it says it can cause stomache bleeding. Also after I got my first realattack I got my period a few days after and I almost called an ambulance. It was so heavy that I had to wear a superplus tampon and a pad and change them both every hour or so. And I had the worst cramps. Since then my period have all been like that. I need some help. I don't know what to do. When I get then pains and d I feel like crawling under a rock and dying.

{{{HUGS}}} and some mods new
      #280929 - 09/05/06 12:43 PM
Nelly

{{{BIG HUGS}}} You don't deserve this. Please take comfort that we know exactly what you're going through!

I don't have insurance so I know the feeling of trying to cure myself on a budget. There are some tricks you can use to have fewer attacks.

I hear you about heat. It's my #1 trigger. Everything being equal, I will have an attack if I overheat, which I do easily. Anything I can do to cool down will help me if an attack comes, including cold towels on my stomach and a fan blowing on me. Sounds weird, but it works for me.

I also don't eat right when I get up. I have to wait an hour in bed before I actually get up. This allows my stomach to slow down 1st thing in the morning. Then I wait an extra 40 minutes before I have my first food or drink. Usually I'll have 2 imodium before I eat that, so I don't get D.

At night I don't sleep with anything around my stomach. No elastic, no underwear, no drawstrings. This and keeping the room cool cut down on 99% of my night and morning attacks. Again, sounds crazy, but pressure on my stomach turned out to be my #2 trigger next to heat. And yes, seatbelts.

Good luck, and try these modifications. I wouldn't suggest the aleve (naproxen sodium is a killer for even normal stomachs). Tylenol with codiene is the only thing that's worked on my period pains and not upset my stomach, but it's only good if you're a D, because the codiene can make you C. (I welcome C because I get no pain from it.)

No doctor will tell you this, so I will. It's normal to feel like you want to die when you're in real pain and nobody understands. You're in the right place to vent or to talk about it. We all understand this because we've all been there.

~nelly~

Re: What did you eat? new
      #280930 - 09/05/06 12:45 PM
raws55

I can't remember what I ate. When I had my first bad attack I aslo had heartburn. The gave me oxicoden for the pain and it was so strong I could of got hit by a truck and wouldn't of felt it. I know that some... well I guess most foods make it act up and searching for a bathroom.

Re: {{{HUGS}}} and some mods new
      #280933 - 09/05/06 01:01 PM
raws55

Thank you so so much. As I sit here I had though that I would be ok as far as bad pain goes untill another 2 years go by befor the next attack. I hadn't been able to eat during the week long attack, I was ok with that cuz I am about 70 lbs over weight. So now that I am feeling better, or thought I was, I ate some chinese food and now I am back in pain. I will def try the mods, it funny cuz I have always like to sleep with a fan on me cuz I sleep better and I felt better when I woke up in the am. I'm glad I found this site to vent.

Re: {{{HUGS}}} and some mods new
      #280934 - 09/05/06 01:19 PM
Nelly

It's so hard to eat when I'm having an attack. Here, they recommend the Breaking the Cycle Diet (click here and select "How can I break the cycle of IBS attacks?" click here)

Chinese food might have been a little too much. I know how it feels to be ravenous after a complete evacuation though...! Try clear chicken broth and saltines for a while until you know you can handle solid food. Also avoid fruits and vegs until you know how they'll react in your gut. Best,

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1950

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review