All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Who's been on steroids? new
      #244943 - 02/08/06 08:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, the swelling in my hands and feet is just about unbearable. Typing is very difficult and slow. I can hardly comb my hair or other daily activities. I talked to the rheumy on the phone last night and I'm seeing him tomorrow. He is thinking about starting me on some steroids until the placquenil starts helping. I'm concerned about weight gain and depression as I'm already well over weight from the fertility meds and pregnancy's and well I'm still depressed and don't want it to get worse!! I'm just not sure what other options I have right now. I can't take the nsaid drugs because they tear up my belly and I'm already taking the maximum dose of Tylenol. Any other suggestions or comments?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Who's been on steroids? new
      #244946 - 02/08/06 08:17 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i have not been on them, but i've had clients when i was a personal trainer who had been, either from cancer they had to take it, or other reasons. I remember it was really hard for them, becuase for one, you do gain some weight, and it just makes you not feel completely like yourself. i use to do ease intensity (mainly becuase they were older) stretches with them. for their entire body. low cardio, and low workouts. i know the women i had got extra hot extra fast, and sweated even when it wasn't a hard work out.

i know i cna't provide alot of help, becuase i've not gone through it, but have been close to women who have. as far as pain relief, i don't know. but i hope some info may help you...especially SOME exercise. even low intensity water areobics...i don't know what the doc says abuot it though...so do as doc does for that..but i know the pool can ease some pains too.
\
take care michele

Re: Who's been on steroids?
      #244955 - 02/08/06 08:41 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Michele,

As one who suffers from swelling in the hands, I feel for you, though mine is not as bad. I do take Aleve and do OK with it (I'm surprised!). Is there any chance that cortisone shots would help instead of taking Prednisone? My rheumatologist mentioned it to me as an option if I want it. As I understand it, the cortisone is a steroid, but should not have all the side effects of the Prednisone like increased appetite and weight gain. I can understand why it is a big decision to go on the steroid. Hope you find some relief soon!

Laura

#244958 - 02/08/06 08:49 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I know someone who I work with taht has taken them for a condition he had. He gained weight and had a much quicker temper ('roid rage). I am not sure if the 'roid rage is a factor when women take steroids though.

--------------------

#244960 - 02/08/06 08:57 AM
michele

Thanks Lyndsey! I wasn't aware of the hot flashes but I'm acquainted with them from the fertility meds I was on! I cancelled my membership at the Y but I've been looking for another pool to go to, I loved the water aerobics class I used to take!

--------------------

#244961 - 02/08/06 08:58 AM
michele

I've had the cortisone shots in my hips 3 or 4 times now and they only help minimally. I guess I wasn't aware that they could use them for the whole hand, I thought the shots were just for a particular joint? I'll be sure to ask the dr tomorrow though!

--------------------

#244964 - 02/08/06 09:01 AM
michele

Hmmm, lovely! I'm very concerned about the weight gain and I'll have to ask if the roid rage is a factor in women, I'm not real sure either! I know my mom has been on them several times and they have just a short 10 day pack that can sometimes break the cycle instead of having to take them long term so hopefully that will be an option for me.

--------------------

#244967 - 02/08/06 09:14 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I'm constantly on steroids (hydrocortisne) and will be for the rest of my life. However I am on a lowish dose and as it it is replacing what should be there naturally I do not get any side effects.

I was previously on double the dose that I am on now and that made me put on weight, however then I went on Thyroid meds and lost the weight - so it may have been that.

Good luck.

#244968 - 02/08/06 09:20 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Michele,

I don't really know if the shots can be used for the whole hand. I have two particular spots that swell and are painful and red. The rest of my hands are sore, but not swollen so much. Might be woth asking about though.

Laura

#244979 - 02/08/06 09:50 AM
michele

Thanks Cath! I'm hoping it won't take too much to get the swelling down for now. I won't be on them any longer than I have to. I just started placquenil so hopefully that'll kick in soon!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3137

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review