All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
potential mouse poop? and other happenings..
      #201566 - 08/01/05 08:24 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I have another random question..

My kitchen is sqaure shaped with cupboards all around it, and an island. On the other side of the island, there is a random additional cupboard underneath the island and across from where the dishwasher is on the other side.

anyways.. I recently opened it up (its stacked with boxes of out of season clothes, a rice cooker etc) and I noticed what looked like tiny brown droppings. Picture uncooked rice, (same shape and size) but brown in the cupboard. I then used the dustbuster and quickly vaccumed them up not moving anything out of the way. Well, I just randomly looked in there again, and once again there are more of these random black rice like droppings in there.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?!? I looked through the other cabinets and didn't see anything even remotely similar, and I've never actually heard a mouse or anything of the sort in my apt before. To be honest, I rarely open this cabinet, and I'm scared to move stuff around in fear that i'll find a mouse. I live alone in an apt, so I wouldn't know what to do with a mouse if I found one. Probably live on the top of my island because i'd be scared to come down.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if this even could be a mouse, or any other infestation? Its not anywhere else in the apt, but this one cabinet and I'm not sure how anything would have got in there in the first place. help would be greatly appreciated.

In other news..
I have my first gastro appointment in boston tomorrow morning. I haven't had one since I was about 19 or 20 (and i'm turning 24 in 12 days so thats been a long time!) So i'm gonna go and cross my fingers that he reccomends a colonoscopy or can give me some miracle drug that will help cure this lovely D. Wish me luck and cross your fingers that he rocks! Also cross your fingers that he's not young and cute beacuse then i'll be mortified talking to him about my diarrhea.

Also..
i'm back from amanda's today, and we had an awesome time together! we wined, dined, shopped and talked ALOT and had a fabulous time (haha we were ibs nightmares but actually dind't have any attacks! probably because we were having so much fun)! I miss her already. We took pics too, but I'll have to post them later. i'm exhausted now, and i've got my gastro, three 1/2 hours of class, and a red sox game at fenway tomorrow! but i'll post it asap

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

yup.....seems like you have a little pet! new
      #201617 - 08/02/05 04:44 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

It will be more afraid of you than you of him. I had the same problem and d-con took care of it. D-con is a mouse poison so if you have an aversion to killing animals you might want to consider a mouse trap but I think they kill the critter too.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

oh yay! (nope) new
      #201635 - 08/02/05 06:10 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

D-con.. hmm is it a spray or a trap or what is it?

Should I move all the stuff around back there to find out where it is hiding!! probably behind sheets etc. The cabinet is really no more than three feet by three feet and its pretty full. Ugh.. I just dont' want to open it and find a dead mouse but I guess I have no choice right!

yuuuuuuuck! so you're pretty sure it isn't any other kind of animal?

--------------------

Re: potential mouse poop? and other happenings.. new
      #201649 - 08/02/05 06:32 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Oh no Ashely, you definitely have mice. There's rarely ever just one mouse. Not to freak you out but I'm sure they are living in your wool sweaters. I had a sweater destroyed by mice last year. I would call an exterminator immediately. Their poop is full of all kinds of germs and bad stuff. If you are feeling brave enough to do this, tie a bandana around your mouth (so you don't breathe in gross stuff), wear gloves, pick up the boxes out of the cabinet, and run them outside to your porch. Then, you can work up the courage to dump them over and see what comes out. I would invite some boys over to help you. Good luck. I had 24 mice in my old apartment, living in the wall between me and my crack addict neighbor. They mostly lived over in her place, but definitely visited mine too. Oh yes, look out for tiny yellowish brown sticky drops. That's mouse pee adn it's equally gross. So sorry you are dealing with this!
Just come back and live with me. No mice in my new place!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: oh yay! (nope) new
      #201652 - 08/02/05 06:36 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

It's really almost definitely a mouse. I prefer traps to poison just because if they die in a trap, you know right where they are. If they take the poison, they can crawl away and hide somewhere and die, and they will STINK, and you will never find them. Glue traps work well, and are cleaner than the snapping traps, which tend to splatter blood everywhere. Sorry for the graphic description. I would definitley call an exterminator, who will be able to spray repellant around, place the traps where they should go, and will maybe even come back in a week to see if any of the traps are "full." Also, there are rodent repellers that you can plug into your wall socket (I had one in my apt right where you went to plug your cell in). They send out a high frequency that we can't hear but that drives rodents nuts. The more sophisticated ones also hook into the ground electrical wiring and in addition to the noise, they send out electric pulses all through the walls. Once I got those in my old apartment the mice never came back. Search online for electronic rodent repellers or pest repellers and see what you come up with.

--------------------
Amanda

#201653 - 08/02/05 06:36 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Nope its definitely mice. Do you have a super? I would inform them and the mice shoudl be eliminated at the owner's expense.

--------------------

#201655 - 08/02/05 06:39 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Nope, it's a condo complex. She's got a mortgage, etc, so no super and "owner's expense" pretty much means her.

--------------------
Amanda

#201668 - 08/02/05 06:56 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Ahh I see. I have a co-op so the maintenance fee I pay every month covers extermination. Luckily, I have yet to have the need to use those services. THANK GOD!

--------------------

Once you get rid of them... new
      #201675 - 08/02/05 07:11 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

They sell these little things at Walmart/Target/etc...that you just plug into the wall and it sends out some frequency wave that keeps mice away. I am terrified of mice, and so when we moved into a house with a cornfield behind it, I bought some for the basement. We have never had a problem, and our neighbors sure have! They are cheap too. I'd just plug one in in your kitchen somewhere! I forget what they are called...but I just asked at the store and they led me to it!

--------------------
~Cara~

Tommy new
      #201724 - 08/02/05 09:28 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I do have a condo fee that I pay in addition to my mortgage every month. I wonder if that covers it? Is that what you mean?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 306 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16263

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review