All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone taken topamax?
      #176641 - 05/04/05 03:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I was just prescribed it by my DR. He made MAJOR med changes - he reduced the effexor by half, discontinued the risperdal, doubled my wellbutrin and added the topamax. One of the side effects of topamax is weight loss so here's hoping?!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone taken topamax? new
      #176642 - 05/04/05 03:20 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I took it for migraines and it gave me heartburn...

BUT the doc said I was a rare case....sooo...you should be a-ok on it!

P.S. You have mail *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176669 - 05/04/05 06:54 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

My mom takes it for her migraines and LOVES it. She's been taking it for years now. I don't think it helped her lose weight, but everyone reacts differently.

And interesting anecdote, for my first co-op job, in the lab I worked in, we injected this drug mixed in ethanol into rats to see how it worked at reducing a type of seizure. I thought it was interesting since it was a med my mom was on for something completely different!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#176731 - 05/05/05 04:37 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I took it for my migraines for a little while. I had severe memory issues on it. I couldn't remember what word I wanted to use. I hope you have luck on it.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#176773 - 05/05/05 07:20 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I took it for 6 months or more for my bipolar--and it didn't help with my mood swings. But it was one of the few BP meds I've taken that did not cause weight gain. In fact, I was on Weight Watchers at the time and lost about 45 lbs. while on it, so weight loss is possible while taking it, if that's what you're hoping for.

I just finally gave up on it because I didn't think it was helping me. My doctor agreed that they've discovered it doesn't help much with BP.

I can't imagine doubling the Wellbutrin and taking the topomax. Wellbutrin is so energizing. At least, it was for me. It made me feel jittery, like I'd had 10 cups of coffee! And I had horrible C while taking it! (If you are IBS-D, that would be a benefit.)

Everyone's chemistry is different, and I know my problems are probably different from yours. Good luck to you! Hope it helps! It is frustrating trying to find the right mix of meds. The one I'm currently taking has almost stopped working for me, and my doc is trying to figure out what to do.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1398

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review