All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Another Poll: Do you smoke?
      #145355 - 02/01/05 03:58 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Are you a closet smoker or it doesn't matter to you if anyone knows you smoke?

The reason I ask is because the other day two co-workers of mine who I deal mainly on the phone with and see maybe once a month let it slip that they were out having a smoke break. After they said it they were like "don't tell anyone over there (corporate office where I work)that we smoke. I found it funny that they want to be so discreet about it. A lot of people that I know do this because they are ashamed of it, so my question is, "why do it"? And most of these people only smoke very little a day. I guess coming from a non smoker maybe I don't understand but I grew up with a mother and father who smoked and I really could care less if someone smokes.

So what's the deal?

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't understand that either... new
      #145358 - 02/01/05 04:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you smoke, you smoke. If you're ashamed of it, quit. And I'm saying that as a former smoker... I smoked for 10 years, quit 5 years ago, and I was definitely not a closet smoker, except around my parents (who are non-smokers). So it's not just you not understanding!

Re: Another Poll: Do you smoke? new
      #145359 - 02/01/05 04:06 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Yep I smoke! I am out in the open! Most of us try to keep it a secret because people look down on us so much! I feel like people think I am I don't know Trashy I gusse because I smoke! Sterotypes is why we try to keep it a secrect. Plus we get REAL sick of hearing that is bad for you know! NO [censored] Realy!! LOL

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Heather, you are right... new
      #145366 - 02/01/05 04:12 PM
LittleLisa

so a certain degree about stereotypes. Yes, when I found out these two girls smoked I was shocked, simply because they didn't remind me of the type that would, meaning they are kinda "prissy" but obviously there is no really "type" I guess. I would never think trashy like you put it.
And yes, girl it is bad for you !!!!
I know it has to be hard to quit. It is an addiction like anything else...heck I've tried to stop biting my nails 9 million time and I can't!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: I don't understand that either... new
      #145369 - 02/01/05 04:14 PM
LittleLisa

Casey, great for you that you quit! It is a very hard thing to do I'm sure! Do you ever want to start back up again?

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#145373 - 02/01/05 04:19 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I quit 3 months ago! I agree with Heather - hearing, 'That is so bad for you...you'll feel so much better...BLA BLA BLA BLA' from non-smokers, has got to be the most ANNOYING thing in the world. Heck it gets me all worked up just thinking about those stupid comments! We KNOW it's bad for us! So is binge-drinking, so is over-eating, etc etc. I don't go around telling everyone eating at McDonalds how their arteries are clogging up.

Ok I'm done rambling LOL. I'm glad I quit, but I was never a closet-smoker, and honestly - I love smoking...I miss it- the taste, the breaks, the feeling, ahhh... I won't smoke again, but I would never look down or stereotype anyone that does it!

--------------------
~Cara~

Never. new
      #145376 - 02/01/05 04:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not even remotely tempted. I have no idea why; I'm definitely not a normal ex-smoker. LOL! When I decided to quit, I quit cold turkey and never looked back. Any time I'm around smoke now, I just get irritable, and I cough for days afterwards, and my IBS bothers me... it's a good reminder of why I quit, I guess.

NO!!! new
      #145379 - 02/01/05 04:27 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

No way! I hate smoking with a PASSION as I grew up with 2 parents who still chain smoke. YUCK!!!!!

Edited by Sara-Sage (02/02/05 06:10 AM)

#145381 - 02/01/05 04:31 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Yes and no. I don't smoke personally, but I am a second-hand smoker. All my friends smoke and yes, I know it's bad for me to inhale the second-hand smoke but oddly it doesn't bother me much and I've grown accustomed to it. Sort of a slight addiction to the smell, or maybe the familarance of it when I smell it.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Twice... new
      #145392 - 02/01/05 04:45 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

in my life. Once cigarettes. Once cloves. NEVER again, G-d willing! I only did it cause I wanted to be cool the 1st time and cause I liked the smell of cloves the 2nd time. Now I can't even STAND the smell of either one...yech!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34193

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review