All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ok Everyone what do think???? new
      #125683 - 11/27/04 03:51 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Had to take Kenna to the ER tonight!!! She was SCREAMING her ear hurt!!! ( of course she waited till an hour after the Doc closed ) So I take her to ER and She has another double ear infection!! That makes Three in two months!! I have to take her to see our famliy doc on monday.

A nurse at the ER recomned putting her on an Probiotic!! She said that with all the Antibiotcs she has been on in the past few months she should take one!! She said it could help her not to get any more ear aches and prevent tummy damage!!

I have never heard of a 3 year old taking a probiotic!! I also don't know about it helping her ears???? Have you guys ever heard of anything like this??? I am going to talk to our Doc before I do anything, but thought I would run it by you guys to!!!! If having IBS has taught me one thing is DOC'S don't know everything!!! LOL

Thanks guys!! I just want Kenna to stop having these Ear infections!!! I feel so bad!! There is nothing I can do for her!!! She is sleeping on the couch right now!!!! ~ Sigh~

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ok Everyone what do think????
      #125686 - 11/27/04 04:01 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Heather,

I don't know about the probiotics but I can relate to Kenna's earaches. I used to have them really bad when I was a kid and still get them once in a while. Sometimes it's caused by the tube between the ear & nose getting clogged. I don't know if she can use children's nose drops but nasal spray always helped mine and baby aspirin or tylenol. Or sometimes a cold medication might help. I use the heating pad but if you do that be sure it's not too hot. Always ask the doc if you can do these things and I know you will. You're a good mom.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Barbie new
      #125688 - 11/27/04 04:04 PM
heather7476

Thanks!! They have mentioned putting tubes in her ears but after her hearing test they said she didn't need them!!! I don't know what to do anymore!!!! UUUUGGGGGG!!!

I also suffered from Ear aches and had to have the tubes in and have my Anoides removed!!! I just hope they figure out sommething QUICK!! I hate her being in this pain!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Ok Everyone what do think???? new
      #125705 - 11/27/04 07:24 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hi Heather. Kahlea (my 5 year old) has had chronic ear infections for years to the point where they wanted to put gromits in as her hearing was starting to suffer. However she's had a lot less in the past 12 months and apparantly it's something most kids eventually grow out of. That being said she's had antibiotics at least 15 times (that I can recall) in the last 3 years but I've never had a doctor tell me to give her a pro-biotic (one did however advise me to give her some pro-biotic yoghurt). I guess you should maybe either get a 2nd opinion or trust your instincts on this one. I hope she gets better soon. It's horrible watching them when they get the fever and their ear is hurting so much they do nothing but sleep. Sending my thoughts your way (sorry, probably haven't been much help).

--------------------
Amy

#125708 - 11/27/04 07:45 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

My 2 oldest children are grown now, but they had chronic ear infections every year from September until the end of Spring. They both had tubes several times and antibiotics constantly in between.

When they got older, a friend of mine suggested putting a few drops of peroxide in their ears when they were hurting. I've done this to myself, too, to keep from having to take antibiotics. This always helps, but I wouldn't want to do that without your doctor's okay.

My daughter, who is 22, still has chronic ear infections.

I've never heard of probiotics for a child, but I'm interested in knowing what your doctor has to say about it.

I'm so sorry your daughter is suffering. It's so hard when our children are sick. I hope she's well soon.
Terri

TeeCee new
      #125710 - 11/27/04 07:52 PM
heather7476

Thank you for you kind words!! I will let you know what the doc says on monday!!! I am hoping that there is something to make this stop!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Amie new
      #125711 - 11/27/04 07:54 PM
heather7476

You were a help!! It is nice to know she may grow out of this!! Maybe I will try some yogort tommrow!!! I think I am going to ask they doc to do allergy test on her and see if she is alleic to milk!! I was at her age and I am begging to wonder if she is!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#125714 - 11/27/04 09:58 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Heather,

Sorry to hear Kenna's having such a rough time I just wanted to offer my two cents...I had really terrible earaches and chronic ear infections when I was a kid. It was weird, because I had a high tolerance for pain (apparently) so I didn't really feel pain until my eardrum was about to blow so we had a lot of emergency trips to the doctor!

Anyways, I found that allergies had a lot to do with my problems. By the time I was nine I was taking Claritin and Flonase (a nasal spray) daily. Both these things really made a difference. I'm not allergic to milk (I saw you mentioned that in a post) but I do have a ton of environmental allergies and was allergic to my dog. Plus, both my parents smoked and the smoke made it worse.

Anyways, just something to think about because maybe allergy medicine might help her out. Also, my mom would always use a solution of rubbing alcohol and vinegar (can't remember the exact combination but I can get it if you want) in my ears after swimming of it I was complaining of getting water in them after a shower. That seemed to help too

Good luck!
Kelly

Re: Heather, Tonsils and Adnoids... new
      #125715 - 11/27/04 10:34 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Poor little girl, I hate it when they are so sick and you have done everything you can think of to help them.

My grandsons, 8 & 6, had their tonsils and adnoids removed in August right before school started. It is amazing the change it has made in both of thier health. The youngest is asthmatic, he is still on his Asthma meds and doing great. The oldest hasn't been ill one day since the surgery. I would consider it an option, they do this procedure on very small children. I saw an 18 mo. old girl coming out of recovery the same day. Her parents said she was ill all of the time, they could not keep her well, and she was always on antibiotics.

Hope she feels better, sweet little babe. Hope mom can get some rest also.

#125726 - 11/28/04 03:43 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Heather, I haven't followed your story for long, has Kenna had tubes in her ears? Luke had to have them and has not had an ear infection since.

And I DO think a probiotic for her is a good idea. Custom Probiotics online sell the pure acidophilus powder that I put a tiny scoop in the kids' juice or milk.

I hope she's better soon!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review