All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Can you guys help me nail down my exercise routine?
      #202998 - 08/05/05 06:36 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Ok, so I get a little confused about my exercising...this is the first time in my life where I've been really trying to stick to a program, but I can't afford a gym so I'm doing it alone. Problem is, I don't seem to have an accurate gage as to what is too much or too little.

Right now, I do weight/resistance training for about 45 minutes every other day using free weights, resistance bands, and exercise ball. On days where I do weights, I go for about a 40min run/walk.

On off weight days, I try and run/walk for about 1hr15min (trying to increase). I also plan to try and start swimming for some extra cardiovascular activity but I have to find a pool I like first (Laurel...have you ever gone to any of the public pools in London?)

The thing is, I'd like to do more but am not sure what to do. I'll definately work on gradually increasing the time/speed of my walks. And I know that I should be taking 24hrs off in between weight days to let the muscles repair. But what about the off weight days? Could I do something like Pilates? Would that be too much? Or Tae-Bo or something to get more cardiovascular activity?

Hope this isn't too many questions
Thanks guys,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can you guys help me nail down my exercise routine? new
      #203013 - 08/05/05 07:17 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05

It looks to me like you are doing great at working out on your own. I don't know about rotations and such so I will leave that for someone who knows more about it.
Have you checked out the YMCA. I believe but am not 100% sure about their prices anymore but they used to do a special plan based on what you could afford to pay. You could work out there and swim. I grew up in Sarnia and my friend went to ask about a membership and said oh that's too much for me. So they offered her a form to fill out and based her payments on what she could pay.
I don't know if London would be the same but it is worth checking out. I have a membership at Goodlife so I know how expensive they can get!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Bethany? new
      #203043 - 08/05/05 08:39 PM
Vicam

Are you in London? I'll definately check out the Y, thanks for the recommendation. I'm just not sure i need an actual gym membership (although I wouldn't mind one) because I can do most things (except swimming) at home.

What are Goodlife membership prices like btw?

Re: Bethany? new
      #203047 - 08/05/05 08:58 PM
Betharoo

I was in London until a couple months ago. I moved there from Sarnia to go to UWO for 4 years, met my bf, then stayed, then worked a full time job for 3 years. We just relocated about 30 mins from London and I am going back to school.
When I got my Goodlife membership I bought out someone else's. It was a bit of money up front like $200 or so and I pay around 30 per month.
It sounds like you do well for excercise on your own at home so maybe just check into how much it would be to use the pool at the Y? until you decide if you want a membership somewhere.

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#203073 - 08/05/05 11:09 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the info I'm actually from Sarnia too! (small world). Moved here to go to UWO, only finished first year due to financial restrictions so I'm now continuing my studies through Athabasca (correspondence) but decided to stay in London because I love it here.

Nice to "meet" a fellow Sarnian though

#203096 - 08/06/05 06:39 AM
Betharoo

REALLY, how cool is that??? How old are you? I am turning 26 on Monday. What high school did you go to? (understand if you don't want to answer that online) My family is still in Sarnia. I really like London as well and I don't think I would ever go back to Sarnia, only to visit of course. When Laurel gets back to London in Sept we should have a London meet up I drive back there to go shopping all the time.

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#203140 - 08/06/05 10:49 AM
Vicam

I'm 23...I went to Northern...how about you? I used to work in Lambton Mall in that little sunglasses booth that they had, some people still recognize me from there That is pretty cool, I'd be up for a meet-up!

#203160 - 08/06/05 01:37 PM
Betharoo

I went to St Clair and my middle sister went to Northern. We kinda lived in between both and I asked for a transfer to St Clair because all my friends from public school were going there. Lambton Mall has changed so much, well Sarnia has in general. I never worked in the mall, I worked at Canterbury Inn when it was that and across the bridge in Michigan.
I don't go to Sarnia as much as I used to. My parents seperated while I was in University. It is still strange to not have "home" to go back to and there is still alot of drama in my family that gets my IBS going.
Anyway, too cool that we both are here and have that much in common...ttyl

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Bethany...and HanSolo (Alicia) new
      #203188 - 08/06/05 03:26 PM
Vicam

Since you mentioned a get-together I thought I'd mention that Alicia is really nearby as well so she might want to join in on that.

How old is your middle sister? I wonder if she was there at the same time as me.

I hardly ever go home either, my Mom passed away my first year of University and my Dad promptly moved to an apartment down by the river...and it's just not the same (plus I don't have a room anymore since it's a small apartment). But when I do go back I can't get over how different it is...it's certainly growing.

Re: Bethany...and HanSolo (Alicia) new
      #203209 - 08/06/05 05:13 PM
Betharoo

Yes, hopefully Alicia would come as well, the more the better!
My middle sister is 22, she stills lives in Sarnia and is married and had her second baby a couple months ago
My reasoning for not going home is similar to yours in respect to not having my own room anymore as well. My mom moved into a condo and my dad is in an apartment near downtown and no matter how much time passes things will never be the same.
I am sorry to hear about your mother. I remember you saying that you lost her to cancer in another post. I lived with my best friend and her parents for 3 years or so while I was in university. Her mother was the sweetest and most loving lady I have ever met. She was like a second mom to me. We found out she had breast cancer in the last year I lived with them. August 14th will be 2 years now that she has been gone. I have a hard time with grief too and I think about her more now than I ever did. I really do feel for you and your loss, it is something that I wish nobody ever had to experience.
Sorry, apparently I am chatty today, I should not be taking up so much space on the fitness board.
If you want to e-mail me anytime it is nice to talk to someone who shares some of the same experiences I do
b e t h u w o @ y a h o o . c o m (no spaces)
have a great weekend!

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#203573 - 08/08/05 10:50 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey Kelly!

First of all I think your workout routine looks great; I wouldn't change a thing. Just stick to it - consistency is key. Really though, it looks great!

Re: pools in London, the only ones I know of are the YMCA, a few GoodLife locations and the UWO pool, though there may be others of course. Those ones all have similar membership rates from my understanding though you'd really have to check it out. I'm at GoodLife (until the end of this month) and I pay about $20 biweekly, but I didn't pay anything up front and I got 3 months free. They have tons of different deals all the time though. UWO you don't hvae to be a student to be a member and they have a nice pool and gym. About the same monthly, $40, but if you want to pay for a full year up front it's considerably discounted, I think it works out to $25 a month or something. The Y, when my bf was paying for fees (he used to work there last summer and now, even though he's not working there any more he's still on the database! lol ) but when he was paying it was $40 a month.

Re: London meetup, yeah for sure! I'll be back in September

OK I'm going to go reply to your other post now...

Re: I'm game! new
      #203624 - 08/08/05 01:24 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I sort of missed the beginning of this conversation, but I'd love to get together with you all. Just give me a where and a when.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#204693 - 08/11/05 03:34 PM
Fitchick

Reged: 07/20/05
Loc: Naples, FL USA

Hello Kelly. I'm a personal trainer and just happen to take and interest in you question. Your routine sounds great, but I have some questions. How long have you been doing it consistently? Do you ever day any days off of everything? Has it been working for you? Do you enjoy it? Cheree

#204728 - 08/11/05 05:36 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Your plan is so much like mine! I think you should make sure to have a totally off day once a week and on your run/walk days I would maybe do stomach crunches but nothing else. Just make sure to increase your run/walk in difficulty (more running and more hills). The exercise ball is surprisingly hard I find. I get pretty sweaty doing it.

I'll tell you my routine since I said it was so close.
I do weights/ball/bands/Roman chair 3 times a week for about 45-50 min and then if it is a non-work day (I walk for work) then I do 10 min jogging on the treadmill. Then the other 3 days or so a week I do biking in summer and bike or treadmill alternating in winter. I bike 12 miles most days and 20 miles Sundays. It takes 50 or 80 min. I don't always get to do these things both 3 times a week because on long work days I am too tired to workout in addition to work. I bought a book with ball exercises which is great. I also hoped to add swimming but haven't been able to. I usually don't have a completely off day but I figure a shorter work day is an off exercise day.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Fitchick new
      #204745 - 08/11/05 06:08 PM
Vicam

Hey,

I definately do like my routine, I enjoy exercising because I've been having a lot of trouble with anxiety and I find it makes me feel loads better.

As for taking a day off, right now I'm not...I take a day off in between weight days but I do cardio everyday. I can't even imagine taking a day off because I go into panic mode if I'm not exercising. I haven't been able to do my weights for the last 3 days because I've hurt my back and I swear I can feel my body getting bigger I know that's more of an emotional issue I need to work out but it still effects me.

I've been doing the walking/cardio consistently for 2 months and the weights for maybe a month now. I don't really know if it's been working, I'm not gaining any weight and my bf says I've lost 1 1/2 inches from my waist (I don't ask to know the measurements because they would just stress me out) and about a 1/2 inch from most other places.

Any suggestions for me?
Kelly

#204746 - 08/11/05 06:10 PM
Vicam

Our plans do sound somewhat similar! I was also surprised by how hard the ball was, I thought it was just going to be easey-peasey, but not the case at all.

The thing that I'm trying to compensate for though is that my lifestyle is VERY sedentary. You mention that you get a lot of walking in on the job so that's great. Unfortunately I'm on a mental health leave from work right now so I'm stuck in my apartment most of the time, so other than the occasional grocery shopping expedition and light cleaning, I don't get much activity at all other than my "designated" exercising. That's why I worry I'm not doing enough. I feel like I'm just sitting on my bum all the time

butting in with a suggestion new
      #204763 - 08/11/05 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you don't take a day off because you feel too sedentary you should do one day of something different so you 1 don't burn out and 2 use different muscles. What about dancing in your house? I like to dance to salsa music. Or some other idea of different exercise that might work.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I thought the idea was... new
      #204775 - 08/11/05 07:34 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

that a day off is as benefical to your body as a day working out because it needs that time to restore and regenerate and all that stuff.
I have a friend who is a work out FIEND. She plans her whole life around working out and going to the gym and stuff, she usually goes to the gym twice a day.. but she always, always takes a day off.

Just my thoughts!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Thanks! new
      #204782 - 08/11/05 07:49 PM
Vicam

That's what I was thinking. I guess I could try dancing...I always just figured since I'm "only" walking I shouldn't need a day off...but I think my knees feel differently. Swimming was going to be my extra thing, just one day a week swimming laps at the local pool, but I managed to hurt my back so badly doing that I'm not sure if I want to do that anymore. Plus, the chlorine is wreaking havoc on my blonde highlights

That's where I'm confused too new
      #204783 - 08/11/05 07:50 PM
Vicam

First I thought you only had to take a day off from weight training to let your muscles heal, but that you could do cardio every day. Now I'm hearing that no matter what you should take at least 1 day off...so I'm a little confused

Answers new
      #205036 - 08/12/05 03:08 PM
Fitchick

Your body can only heal at rest. Exercise is adaptation when you exercise you actually somewhat injure you muscles (Small muscle tears). When your body realizes that this new activity is causes the tears it repairs them, but only when he body is at rest. When repairing the tears you body makes the muscle fibers larger and stronger, so that if this activity keeps up next time you will be able to handle it. So if you do not rest you body it cannot repair the damage you have cause during you workout, therefore you progress will be slow. Also, if you do not give the body a chance to heal you can slowly cause a chronic injury. Chronic injury will lead to a lot more than one day off, then you will loose all the progress you made. Cardio should be done at most 6 days a week, and if you are going to do that much cardio you need to cross train. Weight lifting for the same body part should never be done on consecutive days. If you spilt the body parts you should still take at least one day off a week. For a full body moderate routine takes at least 24hrs rest, for a full body hard routine (soreness occurs) you should take 48hrs rest. But you can stretch tight muscle everyday. As far as abdominal work contrary to popular belief you should not work abs everyday. Abdominal muscle are the same fiber as almost every other muscle the need rest to. So on the days you do not lift I suggest cardio stretching and Abs nothing more. And take one day when you don't workout at all. That does mean you have to sit on you rear all day you can be active, but nothing to strenuous. Hope this clears some things up. GOOD LUCK! Cheree

Cross-Training? new
      #205726 - 08/15/05 07:09 PM
Vicam

Hey Fitchick,
Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. One last question...what exactly are you referring to regarding cross-training? I assume you mean don't just do walk/run as cardio...but I don't have a lot of other options as I don't belong to a gym. I have Tae-Bo tapes...would that be a suitable alternative? Also, I do have access to a public pool so I guess I could do that? If that's a good alternative, could you check out my other post about how I hurt myself swimming so you can maybe give me some advice on how to not do that again Thanks: http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=fitness&Number=205128&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Kelly

Re: Cross-Training? new
      #206155 - 08/17/05 09:51 AM
Fitchick

You got it!!

Cross training just means using different modalities to get the same effect. Like if you run on day bike the next, or walk, rollerblade, swim, tae-bo is great. Although you might be using the same muscle, your using them in different way. Less chance of injury… Hope this helps!!!

Cheree

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13653

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review