View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Why can't I stick to it?
      #175022 - 04/29/05 08:26 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,

I am feeling really frustrated today. Yesterday was a bit crazy emotional with the PMS but when I got home, I got seriously upset. Adrian had taken all these pictures last weekend and granted I was ill, but I look _terrible_. I guess I didn't really see how much weight I had gained in a mirror, but from a picture taken a year ago until now... OY! I looked truly awful.
I feel so unhappy with my body, but I just can't stick with losing weight. I'll be really good for like a week and then quit. I don't know how I can justify being upset about being so heavy when I haven't done anything about it for longer than 2 weeks before giving up!

I was at my sister's last night and she has put on a lot of weight in the last 3 years she says, and is unhappy about the way she looks/feels now too. She and her friend might join weight watchers, and so maybe I will go with them?
I don't know, I am so broke but I feel like on my own, I'm just not cutting it.

So hopefully I'll get back into reporting in soon, I just feel like I am so confused... am I eating too many calories? Then I think maybe I am eating too few calories. I know i don't get enough exercise. Should I eat fewer carbs? Blah, I am so confused.

Cheers guys!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why can't I stick to it? new
      #175061 - 04/29/05 09:52 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My advice to you and your pocketbook is not to do weight watchers. It advocates tons of fruits and veggies that we just simply cannot tolerate in the quantities they want. A cup of rice or pasta is like 4 points and you're only supposed to take in like 20 points a day! It doesn't leave much else to go on. I would ask the gals here to set you up with a BMI number, activity level and figure out your calories at calorieking.com. That's what they did for me. You can keep reporting in to us, and we'll hold you accountable, and even kick your heinie if need be (gently of course with lots of love! LOL).
I know how you feel. I can be good for the entire day and blow it completely in the evening (within 5 minutes). It's just a matter of finding your comfort zone, and challenging it a bit at a time. Try to think of your downfalls (ie. mine's bedtime snacking) and try to cut down, change, modify, eliminate, etc. Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I second Alicia's advice new
      #175092 - 04/29/05 11:29 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Honestly, Steph, WW is great for some people, but really not for others. It's VERY low-calorie, and it sets you up for a lot of frustration... most of us really just NEED to eat more than that. I know far more people who haven't lost an ounce on it than people who have had success with it. I'd save your money, personally.

My first guess is that you're eating too little. I know that, in the past, when I've tried low-calorie diets, I've ended up quitting them out of frustration because my energy was so low, I wasn't seeing results, and it all just depressed me. Sound familiar? Definitely check out the article Alicia posted earlier today about metabolism... it explains why eating too little is so counterproductive.

I'd also recommend, not eating less carbs, necessarily, but eating more protein. I think you'll find that when you increase the protein (I have some with every meal now, and sometimes snacks too) and cut out most of anything really sugary, you'll naturally eat fewer high-calorie foods (or lower quantities of them), because you won't feel the urge to eat all the time to build up your energy level.

Post your stats (age, height, weight, and normal daily activity level) and I or someone else will be more than happy to figure out your BMR for you. Once you have that number, you can go about compensating for any exercise and THEN reducing your calories, like a lot of the rest of us are doing. I think you'll find it's a LOT easier to stick with.

*hugs*

My Stats! new
      #175097 - 04/29/05 11:57 AM
Stephie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about it and even before you guys said WW probably isn't the best idea, I was pretty hesitant about it. I have an elliptical machine at home and I can count calories, so why pay someone else to weigh me?
I looked at some of their recipes online and a lot had beef or cheese or something I couldn't eat, so I thought, why bother?

Okay, so here are my stats and I'd appreciate any advice...

Age: 22. Height: 5'4. Weight: Um, between 162-167. Activity: Not much! I sit at a desk most of the day, drive an hour each way to work and then cook, eat, clean and sleep. I am trying to get some more enegery, into better sleeping habbits, etc so I won't feel so drained and will be more likely to exercise. ** Note: I dunno if this makes any difference, but I have huge boobs. Like GG cup boobs right now, and they are starting to do the 'double boob' thing in those bras so I am pretty out of proportion.

My ideal weight is like 125, but I was only that thin when I had D every single time I ate and only ate rice, chicken and pretzels basically. So I guess more realistically, I'd at least like to get down to 135.

I've calculated the numbers before, but I just never feel like it's right or something. Like, last time it gave me so few calories that I could have that it was impossible.

Thanks guys!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Ok, here's what I got... new
      #175106 - 04/29/05 12:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Your BMR + normal daily activity level is about 2167 calories.

So you can see how I figured that out, I used this formula:

655 + 4.36 X Weight (lbs) + 4.32 X Height (inches) – 4.7 X Age = BMR (In your case, Steph, 1548)

and then multiplied it by 1.4, as per a little chart Laurel had posted a while back:

BMR x 1.2 = Sedentary (bedbound)
BMR x 1.4 = Seated work
BMR x 1.6 = Seated work with some movement througout the day
BMR x 1.8 = Standing work (i.e. house work, retail etc.)
BMR x 2.0 = Strenuous work (i.e. construction)

If you think "seated work with some movement" better describes your activity level, then by all means take the BMR number (the one above in blue) and multiply it be 1.6 to get your new calorie level.

And you probably know how to work things from here, just from reading all of our posts... you ADD in any exercise you do, and then SUBTRACT a certain number of calories from that new total for weight loss. Most people subtract 500 calories per day, which equates to 1lb per week loss (usually), but if you find yourself feeling like you need to eat more, listen to your body and try reducing by 350/day instead.

Getting enough sleep is definitely important. And like I mentioned earlier, try eating more lean proteins, too. Hard-boiled eggs (minus the yolks) are a staple of mine now... easy to make a bunch of them and keep them in the fridge, and good for breakfast or snacking.

Hope that helps a little!

Re: Ok, here's what I got... new
      #175108 - 04/29/05 12:31 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

GREAT advise Alicia & Casey.... thanks for taking care of our precious Steph for us all!!

Good luck sweetie... I know you can do it.... I know you have a lot going on in your world right now.... but that makes it even more important to take care of yourself!! {{hugs}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Thanks Casey! new
      #175109 - 04/29/05 12:34 PM
Stephie

Thanks for that!
I just have one question.. Do I times the 1548 by 1.4, or is that already done?
I am confused and without a calculator! Hee hee.

So if I were to not do any extra exercise, and to cut back 500 calories I would only get 1048 calories a day! I think on those kinda days, I would have to cut back on... Oh wait, or is it the 2167 number?
I am so confused now, I should read it again. How silly of me.
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Wait, no, okay new
      #175113 - 04/29/05 12:37 PM
Stephie

I just had a big stupid moment, I get how you got the number now. Tsk tsk, stupid me.
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Wait, no, okay new
      #175116 - 04/29/05 12:41 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

lol your so cute Steph!! I call those..."brain farts"

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Thanks Shell new
      #175117 - 04/29/05 12:41 PM
Stephie

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.. I honestly don't know if I can actually do it. After all this steady weight gain while I have been already trying, I feel pretty defeated. I know I definitely have to do something about it. My mom keeps telling me to join Weight Watchers, my bf isn't so crazy about how I look I think, my doctor said I was over weight, and then that picture of me just blew my mind... I just feel like I have no will power or something.

I always start out really well, like for a week or maybe even 2 weeks and then it all goes down the drain.

I really hope I can figure out a way to make myself do this, but I just feel a bit blah at the moment. Hopefully I'll perk up soon and work out some sort of plan I can stick to.

**hugs**
Can't wait to see your weigh in!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34264

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review