All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
weight question
      #154122 - 02/25/05 11:10 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

In reading another post it got me kind of curious about my weight. I bought an accurate new scale a few months ago. It was an eyeopener! and so it says I weigh around 135. I was down to 133 on it when I started on prednisone last November. Anyway do you think it is odd that I should wear a size 6 if I weigh so much? It seems like I weigh way more than I should for my size. I am only 5'2". Last summer I weighed a little bit less and would guess 131 or so (but on the old scale it said 123 or something). I was trying to get into my old size 4s but wasn't quite able. Anyway does anyone know why I weigh so much? I can't be that muscular. I hope this makes sense.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: weight question new
      #154152 - 02/25/05 12:16 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

muscle, bosom, etc.. all make a difference.. it took me 3 years to go from 135 as a high to below the 125 mark.. and I am a size 6 and only 5' tall... but I know I have a fair amount of muscle mass on my body too... though I recall the days of weighing under 100 pounds and running marathons and fitting in size 2's I know I will never be there again or at least not be there and be healthy.. my goal is to just stay in my size 6's comfortably except on severe bloat days and not need to wear larger sizes on a regular basis (thus I'm on a weight maintenance diet as opposed to weight loss at this point).

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#154157 - 02/25/05 12:23 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I weigh 145 and I wear a 6 or an 8. My bosom has gotten pretty big from the nortryptaline. Could that be it? my tush got big too.... *sigh* I miss the old me. BUT I'm coming back.......(appointm. to get off my meds Tues. Pray for me!)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

good luck! new
      #154210 - 02/25/05 03:45 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and rofl- wish my big chest was meds.. I'm 5' tall and a 34DD-34f depending on the bra.. my sister is 5'8 and 38DDD-F- BEFORE kids- she's pregnant.. but wants to wait on breast reduction until her family is complete... I got turned down by insurance despite back prblems!!!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

whoa new
      #154284 - 02/25/05 05:40 PM
Little Minnie

My breasts aren't that big! I don't think they add too much to my weight. It is probably 30 years of compacted poop. j/k hmmm I wonder what size I will wear when I am at my target weight?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

two comments new
      #154511 - 02/26/05 06:56 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey.
I've often wondered the same thing. I weigh about 128 (have not lost a pound either since hiring a trainer a month ago!!!). I'm a size 2 or 4, and everyone I know who wears my size is under 120. I am slightly chesty but not huge -- 32D or 34C, depending on the brand. I am pretty muscular but not insanely so. I develop muscles very quickly when I work at them, and I don't tend to put on fat unless I'm really not taking care of myself. My mom also usually weighs about 10 pounds more than she looks like she does. I try to tell myself that it's more about how I look and feel, and not about the number. Which leads me to my second point. You said in your other post that you wonder what size you'll wear when you're at your ideal weight. Shouldn't it be the other way around -- I wonder what I'll weigh when I reach my ideal size? Just a thought -- focusing on size and inches seems to make more sense than the number on the scale, IMO, unless one is dangerously overweight and really needs to watch the pounds (and you're not).
Just my thoughts.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#154570 - 02/26/05 09:50 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

If I were you, I would stop weighing myself and check your weightloss based on how your clothes fit.

I suffered for a long time (or currently suffer - one never truly recovers from it) from anorexia, and even at my worst I weighed 128 and I'm 5'7". I suppose I should chalk it up to the fact that I do lift weights a lot, so my muscles are nicely defined, but it seems crazy that I could weigh that much and yet fit into XS's.

I only weigh about 6 or 7lbs more than I did when I was starving myself, but I look smaller/just as small because I work out a lot more now. I try not to weigh myself because OBVIOUSLY weight does not matter in terms of size. I suppose part of it could be my chest, which seems bigger the smaller the rest of me gets (I'm a 36D-DD).

Anyway, bottom line is that weight doesn't matter at all. If you're concerned, get your bodyfat tested because THAT is what matters.

Congrats on wearing a size 6, though, in a country that is predominently overweight.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

thanks new
      #154780 - 02/27/05 06:19 PM
Little Minnie

Everyone has given me a lot to think about. I will say too that my scale is like a dr's office scale and so it is on the high side. But I think that is more accurate. I do have a weight goal but I will go by how I look when I start to get to be looking how I want and not what the numbers say. At least that is the plan. My guess is at 120 I will be awesome but if I am happy at 125 that is fine too. We'll see. Thanks for the comments!

--------------------

Re: thanks new
      #155011 - 02/28/05 01:58 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

When I'm at 125-130 I wear a size 4. Part of it could be bone structure/density. Part muscle. Who knows. I just don't worry about the number as much as how I look and feel. Right now I feel bloated, PMS-ing, and about seven pounds too heavy!!

just adding new
      #155502 - 03/01/05 04:06 PM
Little Minnie

today I went shopping and bought 1 size 4 skirt, 1 size 8 pants that are nice and roomy, and 1 size 10 jeans! Funky huh? But you gotta leave room for the bloat. PS my clothes are for my UK trip in April and I hope they work out for it!

--------------------

Re: just adding new
      #155519 - 03/01/05 04:36 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

See... I always save up and buy some clothes when I'm in the UK because the fashion in London is ahead of Austin!

I hope they work out too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review